Janty

What instruments do you play?

I have always wanted to learn saxophone since I was young. At school I somehow managed to audition for clarinet ( the nuns said that young ladies do not play the saxophone) but ended up with a violin.

I have now been learning saxophone for about two years and I am working on my jazz gradings. I have just started learning clarinet as well so that I can help / encourage my son with his clarinet.

My friend came over today and she was saying how much she had always wanted to learn piano. I was trying to persuade her to start and it got me thinking about who else on the forum plays / is learning an instrument.

I used to play the violin (passed my grade 1, never took any more exams but was playing grade 4 pieces)

as well as the keyboard and organ. I used to play the piano for school assembly every alternating Wednesday with a friend from my class playing the other week.

Nowadays I don't play any instruments and was trying to show my step-nephew how to play the violin he's just been bought - gosh I was rusty but it came back to me very quickly - even being able to tune it purely by ear :)

I want to learn to play piano properly tho - it's on the list of things to do one day :lol:

A

xx

I always wanted to play clarinet at school but my parents wouldn't invest in an instrument as they thought I wouldn't commit to it :lol: So I only got as far as recorder :lol:

So about 10 years ago I treated myself to a basic clarinet and a book and taught myself. I went on to have several lessons and then invested in a beautiful wooden clarinet. For several years I played as part of our church music group, only stopping when I had more children - not easy to find the time to practice and play with littlies about. I really miss it though and aim to pick it up again soon! If you've never learnt an instrument and want to - go for it, it's never too late! Most music shops will let you take an instrument home to try out (I had several wooden clarinets on loan before I decided on the one I wanted). The saxophone will be the next step if I ever get around to picking it up again 8) Nothing beats that feeling of playing in a lively band - so good! :D

I play the piano. I've been learning on and off since about 2005, more off than on. I go thru phases where I'll be obsessed and play every day then months when I don't touch the keys at all.

I had almost nailed 'Piano Man' and then went thru one of my off phases. I have no staying power :roll:

I always thought Piano looked really difficult but when you realise it's the same 7 notes (abcdefg) repeated in different octaves and you learn where middle C is, which keys are what notes and you can read music, it becomes much less scary!

I couldn't read a note of music when I started (and thought I'd never get my head around it) but it soon starts to make sense, so if anyone wanted to learn and had never learned to read music before, I'd say DEFINITELY go for it!!!!!

I play piccolo and flute mainly, but dabble in the saxophone a bit. I played piccolo with Sussex Symphony Orchestra a good few years ago but haven't foun an outlet up here to play as yet. I really miss playing to be honest, and only play for me these days.

I tried the guitar and piano but never managed to master either....

I'd love to learn to play the piano, it's on the list of 'things to do when I retire'. I don't play any instrument but I sing. I joined an amateur choir 9 years ago and it was one of the best thing I have ever done - apart from getting chickens, of course! :wink:

I've been lucky enough to make some great friends through it, but aside from that the challenge of learning new pieces (I can't really read music), the experience of singing in a group and the sheer joy that music can bring have enhanced my life.

Anyone who is dithering about getting lessons, taking it up again - go for it, you know you won't regret it.

I play piano and have been trying to teaching myself the harp, guitar and sax on and off for a while now, just can't seem to get into it though.

Love my piano though, itching to get back on it since it's been covered over to protect it during our kitchen/dining room refurbishment :x

It's lovely to hear there are so many talented players here. :D

I have grade 8 singing and flute and grade 6 piano, all from many many years ago! I also conduct my own choir and orchestra. I will be playing a 3 manual pipe organ twice this week for funerals. I can also play sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor and bass recorders. We sometimes play as a family recorder group which I love. 8)

There was a thread a while back with Hillfamily when we discussed having an Omlet band! :lol:

There was a thread a while back with Hillfamily when we discussed having an Omlet band! :lol: [/color]

I remember, I was drooling over her lovely orange piano and super funky lounge! :D

Used to do classical guitar until I had some operations on my arm, I can't hold it right now and my wrist aches after a short while. I got one down from the loft a couple of weeks ago for DS(6) to play around with as he's just discovered he likes Hendrix and Guns'n'Roses!

I've also got an alto sax in my loft, but can't play it. I was planning on learning, but then I met OH, who has a thing against saxophones (I can't fathom it!) so it never happened. I was surprised how much effort it takes to play it though, lots of lung capacity!

Clarinet, recorder and guitar - but I rarely find the time now, sadly. I've got a lovely electric guitar (a black Stratocaster like Eric Clapton's :lol: ) sitting in its case in my bedroom and I haven't played it for 8 years now. I'm hoping one of the boys will want to learn one day. I last played my Clarinet a couple of years ago when LSH and the boys bought me the sheet music for Mozart's Clarinet Concerto for a mother's day present :D . Must brush the dust of it again one day :wink: .