Janty

What instruments do you play?

Aw Janty - if you lived closer I could teach you :lol:

I can't really play any more as my fingers hurt too much if I try, but in my other life, I played Clarinet, Sax. recorder, guitar and had to learn the piano as I did music at uni (although I was always really rubbish at the piano!)

I taught an adult the sax when I was at college and he really enjoyed it (although, bless him, I don't think he had a musical bone in his body) It's never too late to learn, as long as you are willing to dedicate a small amount of time to practising each day you will progress.

My daughter is just learning the recorder (first 3 notes at the moment!) and finds it hard to comprehend that I am a qualified music teacher and that I know what I'm talking about :lol:

I forgot, I can play the harmonica too! Not to the level of Toots Thieleman or Larry Adler but I can puff out a tune :D It's harder than it looks!

I've got a really good Lee Oskar Harmonica.

This is what I aspire to! ;)

fat chance though! :lol:

I'm like ANH - I got to greade 4 piano and then stopped. The reason was the exams - after my grade 4 I had such a bad pain in my stomach that I thought I had appendicitis but it turned out to be just stress. I didn't touch a piano for years but then a few years ago I decided it was time to have another go so I saved up for an electric piano and just have fun - I love it.

Both our children play and are doing well but DD really doesn't want to take any exams so after my experience, we're not pushing her and she just has a lovely time and practises every day. I think it adds another dimension to their lives - creative and immensely satisfying when you suddenly find you can play a piece that seemd impossible. :D

I used to play the guitar up to grade 4. Haven't touched it in over 30 yrs :shock: bought a clarinet as always wanted to play onea few years ago, started to teach myself and did for a while then things took over and its sat there for a year or so. I need to get back into playing it because i loved it at the time !

.....I played the recorder at infant school, ...

until my mum bought me my own, I had to use one out of the school music box. When I think about how many infants must have dribbled through it before me, it makes me shudder! :shock::lol:

I've had a go on virtually every instrument going but not mastered any yet! It's my lack of perserverance that lets me down.

My violin teacher played in the orchestra that did the music for 'Chariots of Fire' and he in turn was taught by that Yahudi Menuin (sp?) fella! :lol:

played treble recorder at school and a bit and I say a bit of clarinet. But my teacher kept slapping my wrist, and he actually did slap them, so I didn't go back. :evil:

Son is trying to learn electric guitar himself (all lessons in the area are booked at times he can make it seems, so he's learning through dvd and books) :roll: He's left handed so he's struggling, but not at the point of admitting he wants help.. :)

Youngest wants an electric drum set for xmas... :roll:

No peace and quiet in your house then LL! :lol:

heaven help me is all I can say... I was thinking of soundproofing their rooms anyway.. :lol:;)

Oldest suggested having his mates over for a 'jamming session', I said that's fine darling and winced! (I will be out in the garden I think!)

.... He's left handed so he's struggling,

me too but I find (or should I say 'found') it easier being left handed as my left hand used to be more dextrous so it was easier to do the chord changes.

I've now got a left handed guitar because I broke my left arm and can't move it enough to bend my wrist around the neck.

Is he using a left handed guitar? That can be awkward as most books are written for right handed chords but there are some available for left handed guitars. Try abebooks.co.uk or musicroom.co.uk

I play clarinet, well used to anyway, and got to a decent standard. Also used to teach recorder and play in a recorder orchestra/band many years ago. Teaching recorder was a trade off with my music teacher who was also my sixth form tutor. She didn't want to do it so I took her class and she let me get away with murder in exchange :shock::D

I was told last week that I have arthritis in my hands (having blood tests soon to check it's not an aggressive type) which is slightly unusual as I've only just turned 30. I wonder whether practising clarinet every day from the age of 7 to 19 for an hour could have taken its toll? :? That would have been a fine excuse when I didn't want to practise "aaawww mum please don't make me play today......I'll get arthritis!!" :lol::lol::lol:

I played the recorder at infant school, and now I play drums on the steering wheel when I listen to music in the car

8)

I played the alto sax but sold it to pay for the insurance on my first motorbike :oops: However OH brought me one a few years ago but when I tried to play it would reduce DD2 to tears :shock::lol::lol::lol: Any ideas what books are good that I can buy to start again?

yes left handed guitar and left handed books.... but the dvd is shown in right unfortunately. :?

he might find it easier with a right handed guitar?

I was forced to learn the piano when I was a child, hated it and was rubbish :roll: The saxaphone is my favourite instrument and I was delighted when ES decided to join his school jazz band and learn the sax. I got the opportunity to try it, but just didn't have the puff needed or maybe my lips were the wrong shape, anyway I did learn tp play Happy Birthday, really, really badly :(

Tessa

I was forced to learn the piano when I was a child, hated it and was rubbish :roll: The saxaphone is my favourite instrument and I was delighted when ES decided to join his school jazz band and learn the sax. I got the opportunity to try it, but just didn't have the puff needed or maybe my lips were the wrong shape, anyway I did learn tp play Happy Birthday, really, really badly :(

Tessa

The sax uses a reed mouthpiece, the same as the clarinet. You need to develop your lip muscles in order to get a good sound. I can't get a sound out of my clarinet if I haven't practiced for a while :( Sax/clarinet players are supposed to make good kissers though! :lol:

I played the recorder at infant school, and now I play drums on the steering wheel when I listen to music in the car

8)

I played the alto sax but sold it to pay for the insurance on my first motorbike :oops: However OH brought me one a few years ago but when I tried to play it would reduce DD2 to tears :shock::lol::lol::lol: Any ideas what books are good that I can buy to start again?

You could try Team Woodwind for alto sax - my daughter had that and I think you can get it with a play along dvd as well - it goes through all the easy stuff but progresses well and isn't babyish.

yes left handed guitar and left handed books.... but the dvd is shown in right unfortunately. :?

he might find it easier with a right handed guitar?

no poet he's tried, he's a leftie through and through.. he's just 12, he'll get the hand of it.. he just needs to stick at it and not tear off around the park.. :lol:

My Dad tried to teach me the piano - not a very good idea. :? And I had a go at the guitar and violin (parents made me take that back because it sounded as though someone was killing the dog!!!!).

Baby Bear plays the flute and is going for her Grade II exam tomorrow :shock: she is completely unfazed about it (she's laid back like her Dad) but I probably won't sleep tonight :oops:

Fingers crossed :wink: