As some of you know I acquired a new kitten a few weeks ago :) I had intended to try and get her to 'go' in the garden asap but the terrible weather has really slowed this plan down :( So she is still using a litter tray. I have tried three different types of litter so far and am not that happy with any of them, the other day I had a brainwave and decided to try Auboise in the litter tray, if it works for chickens and horses why not cats? It works really well, I poo pick and then tip all the used stuff into the compost which I couldn't do with the granular stuff. The only downside is that she does tend to kick it out of the tray, but it is easily swept up. Anyone else tried this? Any health reasons why I shouldn't be using it with a kitten?

Tessa

ooh - useful tip! It had occurred to me that it would be good for that, but my cat doesn't use a litter tray - next time one is needed however, I'll try this.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use it. It's not toxic, she's not likely to eat it - and in my experience whatever you use, they kick it all over the floor anyway.

Can we have an update on Google, please - more pics, she must be twice the size now! :)

I have used all sorts in the past sawdust, newspaper etc etc :lol:

I had one cat that would only go on the paper next to the tray which drove me mad till the vet suggested using the paper to line the tray and bingo it did the trick 8)

Sadust is messy but when you run out of litter :oops:

Can we have an update on Google, please - more pics, she must be twice the size now! :)

Google is doing beautifully :) She hasn't grown any longer, I measure her weekly, but she is definitely filling out more. She is so cheeky, does all the usual kitten stuff, knocks plants off the window sills, climbs up the curtains :roll: Everybody in the house is in love with her. We lost her one day :cry: she had escaped through the fence into a neighbour's garden, I was panic stricken, but we found her in the end. We have put a collar on her with a little bell so we can hear where she is. She loves looking out of our front living room windows, so we relocated our 'wooden waiter' and she sits on top of is looking very regal.

2652624517_6d2f874e3a.jpg

Tessa

Edited by Guest

Aubiose is probably great, but the best thing I found was the World's Best Cat Litter. It's corn-based and forms clumps you scoop out and flush down the loo. It's not the cheapest to buy but lasts for ages because you're only scooping out the soiled bits.

As I also have a cat that kicks his litter around like it's an Olympic event, I invested in a covered litter tray. You can still hear him s"Ooops, word censored!"ing away, but it reduces the opportunities for dumping it all on the floor :D .

A slight drawback - as it is corn-based, you have to keep your chooks away from it or they start to eat it (and I don't just mean the clean litter :shock: )

I tend to shop around and last bought from RRJ Pets on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RRJ-Pet-Shop

I have also bought from here:-

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_group.asp?dept_id=45&pg_id=442

I bought the two x 7.5 bags and would expect them to last my 2 cats well over 6 months and possibly up to a year if it doesn't rain too much. My spoiled fat Puddy doesn't like getting her feet wet :lol:

One feed supplier we've used told us an odd tale.

They had a customer who kept buying loads and loads of chicken food. They looked the person up on the internet, and found he was re-selling the layers pellets as cat litter - at an inflated price of course! :shock: