Nik.D

Sad Chicken

Hello.

I wonder if anyone could help.

My chicken looks sad.

I say she looks sad what i mean is she suddenly doesn't want to raise her head up.

She seems to just keep it close to her chest, pulled in. Shes eating ok, but no eggs for a while.

thank you in advance.

Nik

Hello.

thanks for the quick replies.

Just to clarify, we have three chickens now.

Bluebell was originally one of two, but the fox came one Sunday afternoon around 5.00pm and took her friiend Snowdrop away. We got the new pair to cheer her up and for a while she was very much the top bird, then after a bit they where all happy together. But as the others confidence grew she seems to have become a bit fed up and now just looks sad.

It was around 12 weeks ago the incident happen. Not sure how the memory is on a chicken but I guess she could still be upset.

regards

Nik

I would check her out to see if there is something bothering her, maybe lice or worms as Sandychick has suggested?

Or maybe she is just fed up at not being top chook any more as the other 2 have taken over :?

Bring her into the kitchen & give her some treats :D

I think it's likely that she's ill; the problem is that without other symptoms it can be very hard to know what's wrong with her....and therefore how to treat her.

I agree that checking for lice/mites and worming her is a good first step. Also try giving her some treats to see if she'll eat them: I think being off her food is a poor sign.

It sounds like she could be being bullied, Nik.

Watch them together and see if the others are pecking her feathers out?? I think they can peck their own feathers out if lice are bothering them but if you haven't seen anything obvious on her it's unlikely to be that. :?

or lice - that makes them itch and they then pull their own feathers out. Give her a course of wormer, some louse powder on her and in the nest box and perhaps some poultry spice in porrige with grapes as a treat booster.

My one remaining chook from the original girls does get a bit glum sometimes and does not lay much ( I think she has egg drop syndrome) but is usally cheered up by some treat and goodness filled porrige and a bit of time out from the new girls (despite the factt hat she bullies primrose almost all the time)

Not looking good.

She picked up briefly for a while, but now looks not good at all.

I treated her for lice, popped some chicken spice in her food, verm-x etc.

But she now is off food and is simply sitting with her eyes closed and generally looking very weak.

I would take her to the vet but they are closed and i'm worried that she may not make it over the bank holiday.

Can anyone give me some advice, is there a food she may take? Porridge? she has been drinking but seems too weak to get to the water.

regards

Nik

That sounds very similar to how my poor bumble went. It was a fairly slow decline for her. I took her to a fantastic vet who suggested that we bring her in to keep her warm. She said that when hens are poorly they can get cold quickly, she also said that if they are underweight they loose heat quite fast. Bumble didnt look obviously underweight, but vet weighted her and said she was. We had her in a box (on its side) the kitchen with newspaper all over the floor. Vet also suggested mealworms as they are very high in nutrients and my girls certainly seem to love them. Bumble was put on pain killer and antibiotic and sadly after a week with no improvement and more weight loss the vet put her to sleep and she went to hen heaven. I hope this doesn't happen to your chook. Hope my message doesn't alarm you. I wanted to share the vets advice with you though. (Also if she is separated you will know what her poos look like so can tell / show the vet if you decide to take her.) Good luck with her. I really hope she gets better soon.