Clur

**Adopting a dog - Update: Found One!!!

After losing our lovely dog a couple of months back, I firmly resolved to not have another one; work, lifestyle and a whole host of other excuses....

We are now seriously thinking about offering a home to rescue dog, as my situation's changed slightly and I am mostly working from home. We also have the option of dog-sitters if I have to be in the office, and DH can take a dog to work with him one day a week.

Our last dog was a rescue dog, but done through a friend of a friend of a friend who was going to put her to sleep. Not something I'd recommend as it was a bit of a nightmare to begin with (we later found out she'd be trained to fight!!!), so I'm not really sure of the best places to go or the relevant steps to take. I've looked at RSPCA etc, but the larger organisations - unless I am mistaken - don't seem too keen on rehoming where there are young children (ours are 6 and 3).

Has anyone got any advice on where to go and things to look out for?

*** Update, we were vetted this morning and by late afternoon Tilly came to live with us! She is a 7 year old Patterdale Terrier, so a little older than what we'd been looking for, but she's perfect for us (and us for her hopefully!). She's had a bit of a sad life up till now, but she's good with children and other dogs which were the main things we were looking for. She needs her next lot of vaccinations next week and has the tail end of a skin complaint which is being treated, but she's a little gem. You can see her here:

http://www.rescueremedies.co.uk/Tilleigh.html

We haven't found her aloof as yet, though it'll take a few days before she really comes out of her shell. Chuffed to bits :dance:

Edited by Guest

My eldest two children were 6 and 3 when we got Sally from Battersea. She had been a stray and only just there for seven days. We didn't seem to have any problems getting her. We had 12 1/2 brilliant years with her. It might just depend on the type of dog that you might want. At Battersea my husband was interested in a collie but they said that it would be too much work with such young children. We saw a Jack Russell at Foal Farm but they wouldn't rehome her with us because of my youngest. Sally was a staff crossed with either a whippet or greyhound.

Good luck in getting a new dog, let us know how you get on. :D

I'm not keen on the RSPCA, they put so many conditions on you getting the animals you'd think they were doing you a favour by letting you have them. I also wasn't allowed to get one from our local branch as I had an under 5, which is kind of fair enough on the one hand, but if you've had dogs before and you're determined to get one, all they're doing is pushing you into the private sector and denying a rescue a home :evil: . That said, when I started looking again I didn't get a rescue simply because my youngest was only two, and I just didn't think it was fair for a rescue to have to put up with my terror, they've all been abandoned one way or the other and any animal in our house has to fit in, not be the centre of attention.

Greyhounds are supposed to make fantastic pets, very gentle (as long as you have no free ranging rabbits, then again that might also include hens I guess :? )

Oh well, not much help am I? Enjoy choosing though, how exciting!

Mrs B

I have had 2 rescue dogs from Battersea, they were wonderful dogs and one is still with us now aged nearly 17. Next time we get a rescue dog I think we will go to The Dog Trust as you can park your car easily, unlike Battersea. All rescue centres will want to vet you to learn if you have other pets, what age of children you have etc., but don't worry they won't turn you down flat because you have small children, some dogs are fine with little ones, some dogs can't be housed with cats, but then again some dogs are fine. I like the fact that they check everything out so carefully, it would be much worse if they let you take just any old dog, and then you had to return it because it wasn't working out. Good luck with getting a dog, and like Mrs. B. I wouldn't reccomend the RSPCA they are ridiculous and they put old dogs to sleep :evil:

Tessa

Thanks for the replies, I think we'll cast our net further. We've had a rejection already as we have a child under 5 - despite the fact she has been with a dog since the day she was born and is well used to them. They also said that having a dog with chickens wasn't a good idea.

Back to the drawing board......

Clur, don't know where you've tried or where you hit the under 5's barrier but we got our previous dog Kate from the Pine Ridge Dog Rescue in Ascot. Our youngest was only 2 then and it was not a problem - that was back in 2001. We have also had a cat from the Diana Brimblecombe rescue in Hurst, although I think they are quite strict on ages there and our youngest child was then 6.

Good luck with your search - there are some good rescue links on the web - I think you just have to search for 'dog rescue centres' or similar.

Lisa P

Clur, don't know where you've tried or where you hit the under 5's barrier but we got our previous dog Kate from the Pine Ridge Dog Rescue in Ascot. Our youngest was only 2 then and it was not a problem - that was back in 2001. We have also had a cat from the Diana Brimblecombe rescue in Hurst, although I think they are quite strict on ages there and our youngest child was then 6.

Good luck with your search - there are some good rescue links on the web - I think you just have to search for 'dog rescue centres' or similar.

Lisa P

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know about Pine Ridge - I'll get their details and give them a call. I've also now registered with Dogs Trust!

Our rejection came from a rehoming charity via DogsBlog. It was a bit snotty in all honesty - from the 'you'll be lucky if we consider you' school of thought!

Dogs Trust and the one in Ascot looks like the way forward!!!

We had the age problem ours were 3, 20mths and minus 1 month at the time

We went to a local rescue centre and though the dogs did have advised ages on them they were able to give us one on one attention and saw that our children were not at all phased by a big dog. We ended up getting a dog that was age advosed 7+ on their notes and ses even better with the children than out last dog who wassupposedly small child friendly (he was just avoided where could).

I have to admit though we didn't tell them about Nia. :oops: She was in scbu at the time and we were worried we would never get a dog and after the poo that we had had thrown at us during the few months before we couldn't handle not getting a dog too so we just used our own judgement.

for some reason general dog charities can be really picky. We found greyhound rescue charities to be much more friendly - we got our last dog from Greyhound rescue west of england and they were very helpful and friendly (and realistic).

I admit I am biased - I love greyhounds, but they really do make great, laid back pets. If its the thought of all the excercise they need putting you off, don't worry - they really are bone idle! Ours loves his walks and dinner but then sleeps all day - and I do mean all day. Lucky blighter :D .

After a bit of initial interest he now ignores the hens.

I'm a greyhound lover too. I don't actually own one but we always had them when I was growing up. My dad used to race them and when they retired they came to live with us :)

They are beautiful and loving and incredibly easy for children to handle (under supervision of course) considering their size. My brother in law has 3 and I get yearning to have one whenever I see them but I already have 6 dogs so there isn't any more room at the inn :(

Hi Clur

Are in the Warfield as in near Bracknell? Dont know if you know but there is a Battersea Dogs home just the other side of Old Windsor, so not far from you? I know a couple of people who have dogs from there so might be worth a try, they seem to be a bit more realistic than the london centre. There is also a nice RSPCA centre in Chobham ...

Yes - Warfield/Bracknell :)

I'd registered with a few rescue homes as people suggested and we were going to go out this week to look in earnest for a dog...but....one looks like it may have found us!

We had a call from a rescue place last night about a Patterdale Terrier who needs a home. She's older than we originally wanted - she's 7 - but looks ideal. Good with kids and other dogs, and came nose to nose with a cat at the vets and wasn't fazed (whether she'd be the same if it was running who knows!)

They came and did a home visit this morning and met us and the kids, and we're going to see the dog later this afternoon. All being well, she can come home with us today! :D

Really excited, so will post back later and let you know if it's all gone to plan :dance:

She's settled in so well (apart from a brief barking fit when I was on a conference call!). She sits in her basket in my office when I'm working from home, and as I was travelling Monday and yesterday, she went to work with DH and seemed very content in the tractor.

:lol: