Redwing

Are All Dogs Optimists?

Our little dog Otis is such a happy fellow - any attention is gratefully received and everything new is wildly interesting.

He always has a wag in this tail, a spring in his step and a shine in his eyes.

My husband and I say he is an eternal optimist and wouldn't it be great to be a dog :D

Are all dogs like this?

Hmm, Cookie is not a natural optimist. She is very wary of most other dogs although loves all her doggie friends that she knows. If a strange dog seems keen on a game of chase then she is usually up for it. She is also very wary of some people. Mostly this poor old man who really loves her, he talks to her every day but she won't go near him :roll: Very embarrassing.

On the other hand all my dog walking friends always have her running up to them in the hope that they have treats in their pockets :D

hey seem to be. Ours behaves like Donkey from Shrek. 'Ooooh pick me! Pick me!!!! A chew?! A CHEW!!!! Postman!!!! Postman!!! PAT PAT PAT!!!!!!! JUMP JUMP JUMP!!!!!!!!!'

God yes that is my Skye ( who is a very large Border Collie that is convinced shes cat sized :roll: ) alternated with the hangdog/ abused expression that she has perfected when the cats come in for a cuddle.

Im never sure whether shes so intelligent that she appears dim or whether shes just dim :D the Jury's still out on that one

:lol::lol: After having three golden retrievers, who must be the most optimistic dogs alive, we now have a westie who is the exact opposite! He does like to play with a ball - but only when he is rolling it for himself, thank you, we just don't do it right for him. Every piece of food is met with disdain, he has to sniff it twice and walk round it before carrying it away to be either eaten ot buried :roll: He does get enthusiastic about walks, but is never really happy until we let him off the lead, then he can run away. When he does decide to listen to us calling him back, he doesn't come back - he just lies down where he is, so we have to go to him. He's only really 'happy' when asleep in front of the fire - preferably with his head up against the glass. He gets most annoyed if we move him on. I bought him a lovely little dog bed - a puffy outer bit with a detachable bit of padded bedding inside, lovely and cosy. He pulls the inner bit out and drags it round the floor, sleeping in a different place every night. He's not impressed with the cosy outer bit at all :roll::?

Ronnie and Willow, the two lovable but naughty greyhounds are eternal optimists!

They both get sooo excited at the prospect of 'human food' every meal time. even though they know they don't get any til we've finished and they both optimistically throw theyselves at us for that cuddle they 'know' we always want to give them.....

They are always very optimistic that we will release the chickens as a quick snack for them too....

Its just as well I love them to bits!

SOPHIA

Fred (Basset) was the most cynical pessimist ever - nothing was good enough, he had no joyful expectations and the world was going to pot... we, not being pedigree, were his servants...

he was only moderately pleased when he felt he'd put one over on us or at mealtimes :roll:

he was fantastic :lol:

They say that you've never suffered rejection until you've been ignored by a cat :roll:

My lurcher pup is still at that optimistic, exclamation mark stage but is starting to mature into the lurcher Eeyore look; they are sighthounds, which means that they use their sight to hunt, so have excellent far sight.. hence the faraway not quite focussed look at times. She's not at all interested in treats so training is a slog and she's too bright to want to play games for long :roll:

My dog can wag his whole body. It bends in the middle this way and then that while his feet do a kind of dance. He's a very happy chap with lots of exclamation marks.

However, he doesn't like getting in the car much even though he's in it lots and always goes somewhere nice. When he sees the lead, great. When he sees the car keys, fine. But if he sees the lead/car keys combo, he hides! :think:

He's a five month old flat coated retriever.