Imo

Please answer my poll and help me out!

Did you have chickens previous to owning an eglu?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have chickens previous to owning an eglu?

• Yes
    • No

Hello all you lovely chickeny people :]

I haven't been on here for AGES again. I used to be on here all the time, but what with A levels 2 years ago and University now....

Talking of University, that's what this poll is about :] I'm currently studying Fashion Journalism at London College of Fashion and am planning to write an article on chicken keeping and being thrifty due to the whole economic situation... So the more people who answer this quick poll, the better! Just so I can get some statistics stuck into it :]

Thanks so much everybody, I hope you're all well. Our girls are still getting on every well - Vivienne has finally stopped bullying Queeny and they're the best of friends. Recently, I've got a little rescue kitten. Well, I say kitten, she's 7 months now but won't be growing much more - she's absolutely tiny, and was so mistreated she will be the eternal kitten and stay small!! I took her out to meet the chickens the other day and she was terrified!! :roll: I'm sure they'll get along soon!! :lol:

Hi Imogen :D ! Lovely to see you again and catch up on your news.

We had our chickens and Eglu (both at the same time!) before the economic problems started to happen but we've certainly found that we're saving money as we don't buy eggs anymore. If we run out, we just don't eat eggs rather than buy more now.

Ahh thank you :lol: Yes I know the majority of people got their chickens when they had their eglu. I just thought it'd be interesting to see whose owned chickens previously... because, certainly for my family, we wouldn't have had chickens if it hadn't been for the eglu, because it makes keeping chickens so easy!! And it makes it very easy to grab a piece of the 'good life'!!

I have to say that I don't think that my chickens are economically sound! I love them to bits but they are pets first and foremost. I honestly think that every dozen eggs costs about £10! I haven't done the maths and I will be happy for someone to prove me wrong!

Edited to add: Hope your wee kitten gets on with the girls soon!

I had a wooden coop before my eglu which Dad and I made ourselves, but after a while I decided that the eglu was a lot better because of the ease of moving it around etc and it took ages to clean out. We went for the wooden coop as it was cheaper to make and it then wouldn't matter if we suddenly decided we didn't want hens as it could be used for other purposes-like storing compost in which it's currently doing!

I couldn't have contemplated having chickens without the Eglu - Omlet make it all so easy, ok it's not THAT easy, but the 'package' - coop, chickens, delivery, assembly, wing-clipping etc was very attractive to a total beginner.

And of course, if I hadn't looked at Eglus, I'd never have discovered this forum, and without the forum I would not have dared to try keeping chickens!

These are all very valid points!! And of course, the Eglu itself isn't cheap! But speaking as someone whose had hers for about 5 years now, you almost forget the cost of setting it up. And compared to the price of looking after the dog or the cat, the chickens seem much cheaper! Plus, they need a lot less care in comparison, and lay beautiful eggs. I think in general people are embracing the good life a lot more, credit crunch or not. Waiting lists for allotments have apparently gone biserk! I think it's good though, people taking pride in knowing where their foods come from!

Thanks for all the votes for the poll guys, keep them rolling in!! :D

Welcome back Imo.

The Eglu answered all my requirements for a few :roll: hens in the garden. Can't say I am bothered about cost effectiveness etc. I have them for the fun of it all. The eggs are just a bonus.

I got mine before the Jamie/Hugh campaigns and the credit crunch.

I haven't been here for ages because I got thoroughly peeved about something I'm not allowed to mention. I didn't have any chickens before the Eglu and now have 7 in a Cube. Funnily enough, if I lost my Cube and Eglu I don't think I'd replace them - I think I would now go to a real chicken shed, deep litter and all.

But then again, the Eglus are really easy to clean.

I'm not getting any eggs at all at the moment - my girls have dropped from 35 a week to none. All moulting and scraggy at the moment - and the hens aren't any better.

Hope I haven't upset anyone with this post.

I got hens because I loved the Eglu. The design is great, chic and functional.

Here's a little chicken maths though and chip in if you think I am exaggerating the cost for keeping 2 chickens, I'm not counting the cost of the Eglu. (Eglus hold their value really well and so could be sold on)

First year

Organic Layers Pellets 4 bags at £14 = £56

25kg bag of Chicken grit say £14

Horse bedding type material say £30

DE, Poultry spice, bakashi bran, mixed corn, other treats and garlic powder say £50

Total £150

2 hens averaging 300 eggs per annum each. Total 600 eggs.

If half a dozen eggs cost £1.50, the benefit derived from eggs equals £150.

The real benefits to me are not financial but the satisfaction derived from the hens themselves, the lovely eggs and the many benefits of finding the Omlet forum. Another positive spin off has been a renewed interest in the garden and in growing vegetables.

Morning IMO & All,

No I didn't have chooks before I got my Eglu, but had grown up with grandparents chooks in the garden when we went there for weekends & holidays. Also I thought I couldn't have chooks where we live (NT covenants), until I looked into it more forcefully last summer - and suddenly I had an eglu and 3 chooks! I also have a second eglu and am awaiting 3 ex-batts now!

Good luck with the project!

Sha x