sandyhas3chucks

GREAT NEWS UPDATE!"The importance of seeing a vet"

I am feeling REALLY sick now fearing the worst, but must NOT as send wrong vibes. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Try not to worry. I know its easier said than done. But yesterday I was in bits when I found Ella in her state - how I got through taking her to the vets I dont know (as I have a fear of the vets) and I managed to pull the strength from somewhere! Just be as positive as you can :D

You'll laugh at this but last night when Ella was down the vets I was saying to her (outloud :oops: ) (I was home & she was at the vets :oops: ) "Ella, baby you've got to get through this & mummy is thinking of you"...... :anxious: (yes odd arent I?!).

We are all here to support you & give you as much advice as we can. :wink: x

thanks chelsea. trying :oops: easier said than done though isn't it? I was there with you in tears reading your posts :(

got some daktarin as recommended on another forum :oops: can't do any harm & might help :)

she has had more to drink(good and bad now!) :?

put herself to bed in the cat basket but standing not snuggling. guess she's doing what feels comfortable to her :!:

I so didn't feel like agood chicken Mommy at midnight when I made her empty some of the crop..

I was really really nervous, but i could here the poor love doing her break dance move ALL the time and I could hear it gurgling, she was getting NO rest & I was fearing i hadn't made a kinder decision on my own. (if you follow me)

She was not impresed with it & I was gentle with the crop a fair bit came out & then was just like running out but she was swallowing & I was worried that it would back up in her airways.

I then let her settle for a short while before forcing the 2nd lot of daktarin into her beak in 4 little blobs.

Then I sat really uncomfortable on the bed just very very gently soothing the crop and oh so slowly she relaxed and slowly dropped to a snuggle. she needed her rest poor love but after an hour I had to get myself into a laying down position with her relaxed for another hour.

she slept peacefullyy until 5 when the break dance started and I just held her with my hand cradling the crop and she settled immediately. she slept like that for a while then roosted on my arm until I woke her at 7.

She has had some yoghurt, & has had half of my boiled egg yolk & a little white.

I thought I should let it settle a little before more daktarin, as the site said 3 or 4 x a ady & she had 9pm & midnight.

The vet wanted the anti b top stay in the crop, but that was 6 so I reckin midnight was ok to ease the load. Oh and she has had bokashi.

I would appreciate feedback from our omlet"experts" as well as any thoughts about what I should shouldnt do today.

sorry that was so long

Dear Sandy - I'm sorry I can't offer you any 'proper' advice because we've not had sour crop either, assuming this is the latest problem. I think all I can say is to do what you're doing, ie TLC, as it feels right for you and your hen; because it doesn't sound to me like there is a 'right' way out of this, as obviously she needs some nourishment in her body to build her up but you have a problem of it being expelled/stuck at either end. This will be taking a lot out of both of you, so try to make sure she is comfortable and not suffering, and make sure you take care of yourself as well. Food and hot drinks, and something stronger if you need it. As always, we are here with you. Daph.

Sandy hope she's still improving. My girls crop was blocked for almost a week and I thought it would never empty itself. But suddenly one morning it was as flat as a pancake. :D

Very ill chickens do get better, I thought I was going to loose her but she pulled through and is now cheeky and noisy! She honks all the time, especially when she's out freeranging. I think the neighbours will complain if she doesn't shut up soon so as soon as she starts laying again I'm gonna give them some eggs! :roll:

Thinking of you :D:pray:

she continued to have a good day, with an ok crop. Daktarin 3x and seems to be aatung normally, had 2 grapes 2 night, may have had more but keeping it bland & I know fungal/yeast things feed on sugar.

So that drama seems to be ok & we just have another longish drive tom afternoon hopefully roads if snowy will be clear by then. Have NO thoughts on t'other end now at allwill just have to see what vet thinks.

Once more thank you for your suppost and encouraging stories.

Well done. I really am trying to picture her in bed with you last night. :D Fingers crossed it get things going.

I was really quite uncomfortable. a chicken on your lap whilst slumped is not much fun, but she was resting which was good. Also roosting on the arm intersting. I don't have heating on at night so I was cold on the bits outside the duvet

:lol:

the bed covered in dog blankets I hasten to add!

sorry pc went off line this pm.

She is good today, perky eating, due to road closed and over a foot of snow here I talked to vet at lunchtime. He was hapy to Not take her today, it is 35 -45 min drive under normal conditions, and pretty treacherous conditions. As her crop was totally empty & she is perky "and talking ti me 2 again eating and drinking. I have to call him at 9 tomorrow,

The thing has not been laid yet but with the other end sorted it is not as swollen.

still praying for her to lay it by tom, as 1st thing conditions are forcast very icy & bad.

To cap it all I am meant to be away for long weekend friday,

I don'y much fancy leaving a recovering (if we are very lucky) chook with OH. He will be fine with caring but totally incapable of giving medication. :(

Eating, drinking and talking are all positive signs Sandy. :D If she was feeling really poorly she wouldnt even attempt it, so she is making progress.

Yes, tomorrow is going to be bad weather wise. Im sure she will be ok when you go away - give OH written instructions and take your mobile with you! :wink:

Just spoke to the vet who said just watch & wait as she is perky , chatty, cheeky, happy eaten lots. :D She has just been tucking in to the fresh bin of bokasi mash mix, the main roads are clear so can I get there if I need to :) but he said he certainltly won't be wanting to knock her out if she is well. :!: Have made an apptment for Thursday at 10 as am away for the weekend! No update needed unless she gets poorly again.Fingers crossed. :pray:

I wouldn't say she is 100% (well not yesterday lets see today) :pray: her rear end does not feel hot, but does look bigger than normal. I haven't seen anything passed, although there was a foul smelling egg shell remains that I "thought" her friend had laid, she did lay a softee & was softee hunched for longer than usual. (not at all surprising with the treats she consumed that Wee Moe was offered & didn't eat :oops: )

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR HE SUPPOST :D:D:clap: