sandyhas3chucks

GREAT NEWS UPDATE!"The importance of seeing a vet"

Well 2 nights early on there was NO pooh in the nest box from her in the morning!!!!!

Day time about a 2p size froth/clear now and again, but that got slightly more.

ANYWAY

we went ,

he could not release it,

although it has moved and feels like it should pop out!

Trying to avoid an op and as she feels inflammed inside (and from outside it looks like peritonitis) (remenber her bum is still pretty bald so got a good view always)

He gave her an anti inflamitary shot incase the inflammation stopping her getting it out!and anti biotic. shot and baytril for weekend + .

Well the antifammitory clearly made her feel happier by the time we got home she ran to the food bowl & did that happy cluck clucking that they do & ate some mash some yoghurt and then as I had to go out she asked to go down the garden where hubby watched her scratching at the dirt. hopefully finding in it what SHE is looking for!

then she flagged and went back to hunch eyes closed, lets sit in front of the fire.

she has a little purr now and again, but very obviously only eats when the others are apart from her.

Despite drinking very very little she apparently shows no sign of dehydration.

So we are back to watch & worry, if not out Monday and still not able to remove Def def an op!

Thank you all for your support keep the :pray: going for her.

Sandy

thank you.

I could have done all this watching waiting And worrying WITHOUT all the vet visits, but honestly it's a whole lot easier with knowledge & back up!

to think I could have still been trying to get the crop to empty with out thinking about the other end, though as I said it looks like there's an egg about to pop now! stil so hard this watching & waiting & feeling helpless :!:

Still nothing, still little change, her underbelly is large swollen & hot to touch!

She has shown a little interest in foods not meant for chooks :) but what the heck.

I was thinking of sitting her on a heat bad till I fekt her own heat, she does not seen to be pushing except tp pooh and thats not much or often, drank again on her own.

worrying :(

goodnight fingers crossed and :pray:

I hadn't Claret, I logged on to ask for more opinions :) Neil is a wonderful vet with lots of experience, he is no where near the closest 2 of which I have been to with others, they are good but with limited experience,

Neil has explained to be what it feels like to him, he asked if I knew the shape of a red blood cell, sort of ablong, with an imploded piece. says to him it felt like an implodedd egg.

The 1st time I took her I said I wondered if it was a lash, but the term does not seem to be known, have asked loads & googled and zero, with no one explaining about the cllear out. Not really surprised as in flock/commercial situations you would never know as oit would be eaten.

If Egluntine posts a "here" link I will probbly nominate her for a "Ooops, word censored!"el prize or summit!

The inly info seems to be on this forum?

And I could be barking uo the wron tree!

She is much the same but we both think IS perkier though cannot imagine why.

Despite perkier chook a really more worried me. she must be easting more but her crop is now fuller and not empty overnight.

There is one vet I could try over in Bisley fantastic reports with dogs...??????

What does anyone reckon. apart from this is too long And she moight not make it?

oh gosh, poor little girl. What we did when we needed a chicken vet was to ring vets in a rural area near us. We figured that if there were farms in the vicinity then the vets would surely know how to deal with farm animals, it worked and we found a really good vets.

They are about a 20-30 minute drive from us but it's worth it for peace of mind.

Hope you can find a vet before it's too late, maybe you need to ask the vet if she's in pain or suffering because you might have to make a very sad choice to avoid prolonging her suffering :?

good luck

thiing is pretty sure mine is the best, most experienced, and he certainly NOT nearby approx 45 mins drive away.

So difficult? trust his experience?

Shhe just been out in the sun having a scratch & dig & little drink, she is drinking more , she really does seem ready to pop it out.

If it were humans we would be induced I think!

If she looks in distress I will take her ANYWHERE.

if there is definitely something in there, did the vet suggest heat therapy? Either sitting her a bowl of warm water or popping a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel under her etc? Warmth is usually recommended for egg bound chooks.

If she's swollen and hot underneath it could be what Chelsea's little Ella has been suffering from on and off, 'sterile peritonitis'. I believe the treatment is a course of baytril.

anyway, just thinking aloud, hope she perks up very soon :?

I would trust your vet. If he's good you are unlikely to find better. Unfortunately with chooks sometimes with the best treatment, the best care and the bird's own fighting spirit isn't enough but your girl seems to have all 3 in spades, so to give her the best chance I would continue to do what you're doing now - ie watching, caring and waiting. I feel sure you'll know if/when you have to do something different. In the meantime we are all keeping the faith/hope with you.

well Claret the 2nd opinion coming up, she has decided that by.

1 being perkier and there fore eating bit more drinking bit more

2 crop not emptying.

then she started funny neck movement, when I picked her up(gently ) to massage .

stuff came back out of her mouth.

So 6.30 to the emergency vet. same surgery dif partner.

when asked the receptionist how much experience he had with chooks she sorta laugh/chickle and said well, huh... quite a lot actually. (like maybe you would if he was THE proffessor & I had asked it of!

Poet, it's not sterile as there IS a lump there to come out (I suspect large lash.) no didn't suggest anything loads of instruction if itstarts to be expelled though.

I did give gentle warm wash over hot watter, this morning for the reason you suggest AND she was dried sticky around there from the KY. alsop put some nappy rassh cream on as it looks sore (again the ky irritated it) figured that she did not need extra discomfort there and gently massaging it on from niddle to vent direction may have helped.

I am feeling REALLY sick now fearing the worst, but must NOT as send wrong vibes. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

well I thought he would empty her crop, but he didn't he didn't have nystatin, but gave her a metronidazzle anti bi. he had pills and was going to just send me home with them but I asked him to dose her & it was all bubbling back up as he put it in, so I siggeted he empty it, so he massaged a little till aprox 5ml came up. then shoved in the pill, saying he wanted it in there to work.

well home about 2 hors later & she is drinking lots including some actimol, & here we are at 20 past 7 & she 's doing that funy neck thing.

Don't know if bed is best or let her drink, she will go to bed if I put the lights down.

he said her colour is good, her eyes are bright & if she stays like it she will be fine for op Monday, he said she is a little hard & swollen but was soooooo unconcerned, said he had seen much harder & swollen.

ok I guess when It is not your special little girl. He has been a vet for ever apparently, & had their own foir many years but sispect he would have been more farmer like.

I really don't like this funny neck thing like sideways break dance of the neck. :cry: