margotthechicken Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 (edited) I have just had a horrible experience. I spent three quarters of an hour talking to my girls, cleaning them out thoroughly, and they were walking round my legs, chattering as they do. I put them into their big run, and went inside. I got to the kettle, put it on and looked out of the window, only to see Mr Fox, greedily grasping Gladys. I ran out, shouting and waving my arms, the fox scrambled over the 5 foot fence and disappeared. I went to the coop end of the run and the (expletive|) fox has taken Kylie. I feel so guilty, stupid, naive and very upset, like I let my girls, and my daughter who adores her Chooks, down. All this happened at 12.30pm, which goes to prove these things are not just night time hunters. Edited March 1, 2009 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dancing cloud Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 So sorry for you and your chooks . ((hugs)) to you all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fluffyknickers Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 That's awful. You havent let anyone down at all, you can't control the fox's instincts. So sorry x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gir1z Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 So sorry for you all.. .It happened to me too when I was watching from the window..( I posted the experience under fox wars)...Do have a good look everywhere for your missing chook as mine turned up at 9am the next morning with a bloodied back, missing loads of feathers, having survived a night alone in temps of -9. She was missing from 2pm til 9am the next morn. We searched everywhere..but obviously missed her hiding place. she has recovered well luckily. There are other stories here of chooks getting away and hiding so you never know.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 Oh no, I'm so sorry . Has Gladys gone as well as Kylie ? It's not your fault - please don't blame yourself . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
margotthechicken Posted February 4, 2009 Author Share Posted February 4, 2009 I actually saw Gladys in the fox's mouth, the fox ran off and stopped, dropped Gladys then looked at me, turned and picked Gladys up and ran away. What really gets me is that I had been out with the ladies for three quarters of an hour, and literally walked up the garden, into the kitchen and switched the kettle on, and then looked out of the window, and was greeted by a really shocking scene. Had the fox been watching me? That really is a horrible thought, do they do that?. It must have been very quick getting the first one (which I now know to be Ginger, the baby, and my daughters pride and joy), as I only saw it with Gladys. Eleanor came back from school and tearfully informed me that it wasn't Kylie, it was her Ginger and her Gladys. I'm really shocked and very upset. I know we have only had them for six weeks, but as you know, they really get to you. Thank you all for being so kind. I know you know how we feel. It helps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 How sad . I hope Eleanor isn't too upset (well, obviously she will be but I hope she's OK ). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 how upsetting & shocking for you, Im so sorry. I wouldnt be surprised if the fox was watching you, someone else on here had a similar scenario when their dog was outside with the chooks - as soon as it went indoors the fox struck, so they are very cunning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 I'm so sorry to hear this Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cavysqueak Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 Really sorry to hear of your loss today. You can never be sure of what is around, but it wouldn't have been possible to watch them all of the time & it's certainly not nice to keep them permanently locked in a run. Sending out our thoughts to you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
braden01 Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 So sorry to hear the circumstances of this - it must have been awful to see. Blasted cunning foxes. I have a theory that the cold weather, snow and frozen ground has made food very hard to come by so perhaps they are getting more determined at this time of year. Doesn't make it any easier when it happens to you though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blackgold Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 My friend lost 4 hens to a fox. i still cant get the sight of their bloodied bodies out of my mind.He only took 10minutes to kill them and didnt take any of them away. We are not in the country, the area is residential but there are foxes everywhere. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 How awful and how shocking for you all. Thinking of you.hugs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigmommasally Posted February 4, 2009 Share Posted February 4, 2009 I'm so sorry for you all. Thinking of you and sending (((Hugs))). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 Very sorry to hear it. How dreadful for you. Be extra vigilant now, because I'm sorry to say, he'll be back. Bloomin' fox. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 Sorry to hear about your girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 So sorry to hear about your girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 Sorry about your girls. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 Sorry to hear about your girls Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mccroft Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 I'm really sorry - seems the cold weather isn't helping I had fox prints all around the run, on it and over the cube this morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 So sorry to hear your news. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
earthmam1 Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 I am sorry to hear your news sending you hugs sue Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
catherinej Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 So sorry - try not to feel guilty as foxes are very cunning. Similar thing happened to me but luckily he only got one chook! Now I have a walk in run and don't let them out unless someone is on the garden at all times! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted February 5, 2009 Share Posted February 5, 2009 I so sorry to hear about your girls. I've got a fox that I've seen every day for the last couple of weeks now. I'm sure he is intent on getting my girls. I'm not letting them out at all now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
margotthechicken Posted February 5, 2009 Author Share Posted February 5, 2009 Ah, thank you all so much. We all had a restless night, imagining all kinds of beasties in the woods!! Eleanor was off school again today, due to the weather, so she went 'fox print hunting' this morning. The (expletive) fox has been in the garden, but no where near the run or coop, probably to the OH spending the evening strolling round the area, and er... weeing!! This morning we awoke and with renewed vigour, moved the run/coop set up, and dug in a wire skirt and topped it off with paving slabs. I know the fox got into the larger open run, but we have figured that you can't be too secure, and I certainly do not want a repeat of the violent shocking scene I was witness to yesterday. The open run is gone and the girls will now be free range when we are out with them, as I now know that high fences are not enough of a defence against these creatures. On a more cheery note, the remaining girls appear calm and are eating well. Ellie was holding Shirley earlier and she fell asleep in her arms. Ellie isn't sure about replacing Ginger and Gladys, but she felt like that when our old cat Elvis died. But, life goes on I suppose. One thing is certain though, these quirky little ladies get to you very quickly, and they make me feel content just watching them. Thankyou all for your kind thoughts, it does help, really. Ellie has been reading your posts too, and the tears have (nearly) stopped. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...