SeramaSilly

Applying Diatom to roosting bars

Does anyone have the same problem as me? If I apply dry diatom then I get it all down my front and feet and all over the floor. If I use it wet - again I get it all over the floor, on my face and in my hair!!! Now I know I am a very clumsy person but is there any way to apply it without the mess or is it me (which I suspect it is! :roll: )

Sophie

x

It is tricky isn't it :lol:

I put a small amount of Diatom into a shallow conainer first. Stand the the roosting bars on their end. Take a pinch of diatom and quickly transfer it to the end of one of the bars and rub it in :D

I have a mark 1 Eglu so some of the bars are single. I can just dip the ends into the Diatom and rub in. The tricky part is the bars which are joined together.

I wear rubber gloves and put some dry Diatom into my palm and rub the powder across the ends, whilst holding it over a try of Auboise or sawdust. The latter can then be put in the nesting box, and I smooth the bar ends & any missed bits with fingers. Single bars can be dipped straight into the powder tub. The dry powder rubs well into the crevices, I wouldn't make a paste, Diatom is only effective in it's dry form.

I find this method very easy & effective, but yes, somehow it still gets on jumpers & trousers, it's not just you! Choccy, I thought you said "put it all over & then throw myself to the ground". :lol: Desperate measures! :lol::wink:

No wonder the chickens look at me funny, after reading this thread.

I wear rubber gloves and put some dry Diatom into my palm and rub the powder across the ends, whilst holding it over a try of Auboise or sawdust. The latter can then be put in the nesting box, and I smooth the bar ends & any missed bits with fingers. Single bars can be dipped straight into the powder tub. The dry powder rubs well into the crevices, I wouldn't make a paste, Diatom is only effective in it's dry form.

I find this method very easy & effective, but yes, somehow it still gets on jumpers & trousers, it's not just you! Choccy, I thought you said "put it all over & then throw myself to the ground". :lol: Desperate measures! :lol::wink:

I suppose I could try that. :lol: avoiding chickens :shock:

I think it's more the "elephant" technique than "elegant" ClareT. I have a "chicken" fleece and waterproof trousers for cleaning out the chickens so go out well protected, if warm.

Other places do sell diatom (I can't remember :oops: ) Omlet only started selling recently.

I wear rubber gloves and put some dry Diatom into my palm and rub the powder across the ends, whilst holding it over a tray of Auboise or sawdust. The latter can then be put in the nesting box, and I smooth the bar ends & any missed bits with fingers.

I like the tray of Aubiose idea Sheila! If I leave the poo tray out I can diatom over that. Brilliant! :D:idea:

I hold the ends of the bars over the tub of diatom and then scoop it up with a gloved hand and apply it to the ends. The theory is that the left-over diatom falls back into the tub. Not sure how well it works but it's not too bad. :?:oops:

:D Thanks for the great tips - I will give them a try! Last night I visited a friend and when I got back OH said what's that patch of white on your face - you've guessed it - Diatom! And my friend never said a word!

Sophie

x

:lol::lol:8) You could start a new trend Sophie! :wink:

Aren't men rotten? The chaps at work never point out when I have cat fluff or a feather stuck to me. I think they're getting their own back for me bullying them :roll: