wahey I have just been down the garden to my eglu and my chickens have laid an egg again..... its been ages since I last had an egg so get the whole excitement thing again ...... my neighbours must think I am crazy talking to my chickens and such a proud look on my face when I reach into the eglu and pull out a warm egg :D

Oh how I long for it. Last few days we've had two eggs. We have NINE chickens. This just isn't fair. I love eggs, it's the best feeling to go into the garden and come back with a lovely fresh warm egg or six. Right. I'm going home to wave the casserole dish at the chooks.

I think getting a really warm freshly laid egg out of the nest box is one of the BEST feelings - and having had chooks for nearly 1 1/2 years I dont think that the feeling ever diminishes!

Having said that we have about 3 or 4 eggs a day out of 9 chooks (admittedly 2 are ex battery hens) because they are going through the moult)

I didnt get the roasting or casserole dish out. I bought 2 new bantums :wink::lol:

I also have 9 hens and get, on average, 3 eggs a day. My buff Araucana is too young, my Buff Orpington just doesn't do the "egg laying thing" very well and with the shorter days the others are laying every other day.

Nothing can beat a nice warm egg straight out of the eglu and my boys (age 14, 12 and 8 ) all love racing down to the "girls" to collect the eggs and make a huge fuss of them - eggs or no eggs. Our neighbours must think we are potty!

Another two egg special yesterday. Starting to get a little concerned. I've only had mine since February, so I don't know what they're like over winter. I expected the pekins to stop laying, but I thought everybody else would just carry on. Beryl has special dispensation for being new and still all of a flutter about moving in with the mob, but I ALWAYS get an egg a day from the hybrids. We've searched the garden and no joy. pah. Maybe cut out treats for a bit? And try them on pellet porridge?

I always give the girls treats at about 5pm every day :oops:

But now i have started adding pellets mixed with water to try and get more pellets in them. Laverne has laid everyday for 6 weeks now (with only 1 day off-well it was a sunday)!!! 8)

They seem to be eating alot more as it gets colder. Is this normal??

Christian x x x

I have a Pepperpot who lays five eggs a week at the moment, a Wyandotte who lays two, and a Cochin who doesn't seem to realize that she is supposed to lay eggs (and may in fact never have laid one, although I used to give her the benefit of the doubt). My Gingernut, who laid seven eggs a week throughout the year, was taken by a fox.

But I have to say that my two pure-breed hens look gorgeous at the moment, while my poor Pepperpot looks a bit raddled, as you might expect of a mother of 500+. My Gingernut was also my feather-pecker, so Asbo and Cushion are growing all their missing feathers back, and seem very much more cheerful.

There's only one answer to the egg-shortage: get more hens.