Redwing

They Set Upon My Poor Girl :-(

I have a lovely Salmon Faverole called Tawny and sucessfully intergrated her and her two pals (Gold Legbar and Wernlas Olive) with an existing Appenzeller and Pekin and they have been living in harmony up till now with only a few halfhearted pecks after the 'walls came down' between them

I went to check on them this evening and the Appenzeller (covered in blood) has attacked my poor Tawny who has two gaping deep wounds :shock::cry: the others were all having a peck too attracted by the blood I suppose

I thought she was dead when I picked her up as she went completely limp :( I've cleaned her up and put her in a cage in the kitchen next to the chicks and their heat lamp for a bit of warmth, but I don't hold out too much hope for her, she has perked up a bit so we are going to give her the night in the hope she will bounce back a bit but I feel I may have to dispatch her

OH and I are both shocked and upset as Tawny is such a lovely girl and we can't see why the peace has broken down so quickly :cry:

Thanks for your kind words everyone :)

Poet - I think you are probably right that Tawny is sick or at least under the weather, certainly they have had some red mite in the Eglu, its now under control but Tawny sleeps in the doorway where it was worst so may have been weakened by them but like all chickens there were no outward signs of illness :wall:

Anyway...

Tawny was very poorly this morning and her wounds were starting to smell despite my best efforts, one wound was down to the bone :( I picked her up and took her outside to dispatch her but found I simply couldnt do the deed and took her to the vet to be PTS however he said he thinks she will recover if she lives through today and tonight so has injected her, cleaned her up and covered the wounds with stockholm tar to dry them and sent her home with another injection to be given by us in two days time

Fingers crossed, I certainly won't let her suffer any more so if she doesnt start to recover I will have to dispatch her

Thanks Clare, I am hoping we will be ok but will bear that in mind

Its silly - I know I can do it no problems with the table birds but Tawny is such a delightful dim character, always a million miles behind the others in terms of wit :lol: and so soft and gentle bless her and she isnt even laying yet so I do hope she pulls through

She has eaten the chick crumbs I put out for her and has drunk a bit of water with avipro so I am hoping she is over the worst

Oh and the house stinks of stockholm tar :lol:

It was a shock, I have never seen wounds that bad not even in a book, if we were less shocked and thinking straight I think I would have put her out of her misery on the spot

The two wounds cover an area about 4.5 inches x 2 inches and are so savage the vet said there is nothing there to stitch

Tasha I`m sorry about poor Tawny, hope she pulls through.

My seven have lived happy together for two years and I thought great

no problems perfect harmony. But now several have a go at each other nothing

too serious yet but who knows what might happen. I dread the thought of finding

one or more seriously injured.

Joy x