MikeM67

Chickens don't eat dry food

Hi all,

Well, we're 3 weeks in, and the chickens are settling down really well. Some (odd?) things to report though.

I tried feeding them pellets in the first week, and they went completely untouched. After looking at these forums, I withdrew all treats, but all I ended up with were slightly frantic, very hungry, chickens. :? Totally refused to eat the pellets.

So, I reverted back to mash, but had little improvement. As a last resort, I mixed the mash in some water, and the results were astonishing. :shock: The food was gone in minutes! I've also tried mixing the mash with some yogurt (we had a couple of soft eggs from Ginny, which prompted this), with even better results.

The same goes for mixed corn. they won't touch any dried corn, but as soon as I give them a fresh corn-on-the-cob, chaos ensues :lol: .

Has anyone else experienced this? It's not necessarily a problem, but, of course, it's more hassle to feed the chickens. Cleaning out the old food each day is more of a chore, and the new food has to be mixed with water (or yogurt, if I'm feeling kind!). I'm also slightly concerned about the food freezing in cold weather (particularly if we have a winter like the last one).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Space Chick wrote:

think they have successfully "Chook trained" you Mike.

:lol: I suspect you are probably right!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start to wean them off gradually. Not sure I can deal with the short, sharp, shock treatment. They look at me in such a pathetic way :cry:

Maybe scatter a bit of food so it looks like treats and they might pack at it

Palmer07 has somehow sucessfully trained her chooks to eat pellets gratefully out of her hand like it is corn and they totally fall for it :lol:

I have magic chooky powers! :D:lol:

I wish!!!

Not really sure how i managed that TBH!!

I think it was when I was mid introductions with Brandy and Saffy and rather than feeding them corn as they free ranged together I tried their normal pellets. Greed and competition rule my girls so it was carnage! I was being mobbed by six chooks (3 of whom are NOT dainty :roll: ) :lol:

Mine wouldn't touch pellets when I for a couple of weeks after I got them and would convince me they were starving. I started putting Bokashi bran and a bit of garlic powder in with the pellets and have had no problems since.

I've only had my girls a couple of months but have sussed what brilliant con artists they are, every time they see me they try and convinve me how hard done to they are clucking sadly at me, I'm wising up to them now though. They won't let themselves go hungry.

Maybe scatter a bit of food so it looks like treats and they might pack at it

Palmer07 has somehow sucessfully trained her chooks to eat pellets gratefully out of her hand like it is corn and they totally fall for it :lol:

Mine do too... three of them even eat their dose of Verm X from my hand! Result!

Shame about the other one! I have to mix it in with mash or yoghurt!