chuckmum6

Why should I get a Cube for my 6 girls?

I am considering changing my fairly new wooden run for a Omlet Cube, please can you tell me why I should spend a serious wad of cash? I was told this was the place to ask so I'm asking :D

I have six hens so I would want a cube rather than a eglu.

Many thanks

Chuckmum

Which colour is the best?

(cube red)(cube blue)(cube green)(cube purple)

I have two cubes and i LOVE THEM...I also have an eglu and although I love that too i find the cube much better.

1. Raised off ground so chooks go "up" to roost and also no kneeling down to clean/tend etc.

2. Poop trays can be removed without having to take the house apart....slide out..empty poop onto nearby flowerbed (avoiding sleeping cat!) and slot straight back in.

3. Once washed can be dried down with one of OH old shirts :D Great for those windy winter cleanout days.

4. It looks funky!

5. Apart from cleaning it as you would any wooden house it requires no "maintenance" like painting etc Should outlast any wooden house

6. Less likely to get red mite in a cube with good husbandary. If you do get redmite it should be easier to deal with using a screwdriver, pressure washer and poultry shield. No blowtorches or bonfires required. :D

7. It looks 8)

8. Comes in a choice of funky colours to suit your taste. I have two (cube green) but want a (cube purple)

9. Roosting bars are plastic and not screwed in like a lot of wooden houses...less hidey holes for creepy crawlies and quickly scrubbed and de-pooped

10. Back comes off so you can access the chooks. Roof slides forward for chook access too.

11. Holds value should you wish to sell it on.

I am sure I will think of other things too!

Em

x

Thank you, could you tell me how easy fitting it together is?

I built my first cube on my own and I think it took me about an hour or so. I started with a normal screwdriver but highly recommend that you ensure you have the electric one charged. :D

The second one I purchased second hand and it was still built when I went to collect it. I think i took it down in about twenty mins and back up again within 45m :D

If you click the link below you should get the cube instructions so you can see that there are not actually too many bits

http://www.omlet.co.uk/files/public/eglu_cube_instruction_manual.pdf

Hope this helps!

Em

x

I haven't been able to find any second hand is there anywhere I should look?

Second hand ones occasionally come up on ebay. If you have a look in Eglu/cubes for sale section of the forums they are all listed there along with any forum member sales.

Omlet also sell recon cubes with a 10% (i think) discount...the stock changs quite often so you need to ring them to see if they have any available.

Em

x

Got your pm, I'll email you with the details later - it's near Aylesbury and was going on ebay, but I think he'd prefer a private sale tbh. Sorry, no idea what colour it is though!!!

And I don't blame you wanting to change your ebay wooden house - there is some absolute rubbish around which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole! Actually, I did touch one in a moment of madness a while ago and I couldn't believe the poor quality of the wood, fixings and design! Too many people jumping on the bandwagon and taking advantage of the latest craze .... it's the chickens who end up suffering. And all wooden houses get tarred with the same brush too ........ grrrrr!!

Sorry, rant over. :whistle: