As we lost Susannah we now have these 2 little girls, a Welsummer and Rhode Island Red

I can't get images to work anymore, but there's a link here

They look so young :D

We shut the newbies in the omlet run and the others outside.

The oldies catawauled a lot and looked unimpressed, the RIR has chased/pecked the other and pecked OH. The Welsummer is a bit more timid but has black fluff under her feathers instead of white like Katy and I think will have nice patterned feathers when she grows a bit.

I'm jealous!!! I've always wanted either a Rhode Island Red or a Welsummer.

According to the Keeping Pet chickens book by the Omlet lads they say that RIR can become really friendly and could follow you into the house. I suspect they'll both be a lot friendlier once they start to lay.

They are lovely by the way too!

I wanted to take about 10 cute young chickens home, but OH said there was no room :(

There were "baby" Speklelady, Warrens and Black Rocks and they wandered round our feet and I stroked one they were so tame.

There were also Brahmas, a Wyandotte, Faverolles, Light Sussex, Black Orpington, Silkies and bantams. The Buff Orpingtons were all cockerals :(

They do have huge feet :lol: You can see in the first picture they are staring at a leaf weighing it up. The RIR is very noisy and has removed several tail feathers of the Welsummer. We tried to sneak them into bed last night but she made a huge fuss so Trinny had to peck her to make her shut up. :lol: Then Katy started :roll:

The RIR has now been taken down a peg by the oldies so is now only picking on the Welsummer. The Welsummer is wandering round looking for weaknesses in the fence trying to escape the 3 hens that are mean to her :( She has discovered on top of the eglu is safer though :lol: The lady said they wouldn't lay eggs until about Spring, and they are about 18 weeks.

OH wants to sleep on the names :roll:

The Welsummer is an escape artist, trying to get away from her scary new home :shock: She got out of the pen and stood perched on the wall, before being fussed over and put back in. (I'll put photos on the same link as above today). We then lost her and realised she was on top of the huge hedge next to the pen. OH and the neighbour were shaking the hedge and prodding with sticks to try and get her to move but she flapped to keep her balance. :lol:

She's now shut safely in the omlet pen on her own. *Breathes sigh of relief*

She has a cut above her beak presumably from the RIR and about 3/4 tail feathers :(

Aww, that's such a shame as she had a gorgeous tail! She sounds like my Starlet, she always jumps out of their pen!

Here's a thought, why don't you curve the tops of the mesh the run's made out off inwards so she can't get out. If you're using netting get hold of some chicken wire and affix it to the tops of the poles using cable ties.

Hope that helps, Liz

The chickens went to bed on their own last night (without Katy wandering out and looking menacing) :D

I peeped in and Megan was snuggled next to Trinny and Abbie was clambering on top of her trying to form a tower of chickens (my chickens normally only perch side by side). :D

Headchicken Trinny is fairly relaxed about the newbies. She casually looked up, flapped her wings a bit then went back to eating when one went past. T&K found 2 new fluffy chicken feathers stuck together and got really excited like it was a mouse or something and fought over it :shock:

Yesterday Megan spent 90% of the day on top of the eglu hiding but does not seem desperate to fly away and escape after a day or so locked in the eglu run on her own. She found a worm and ran round the garden with it but I don't know if she got to eat it. It was really funny she ran from Abbie then met Katy and had to run back again. She's on the ground today.

Abbie wanders over to me sometimes and makes noises. OH is less convinced she is evil (after pecking him and pulling out Megan's tailfeathers). She's quite cute and likes company and just tugs at Megan's feathers now.