gooner.girl

Church Wedding chat.....

I think that time & age has changed me & I am a much less mallable person now than I was 17 years ago.

My beliefs have certainly grown stronger over the years & my instinct to please others rather than myself has lessened (motherhood does that to you!)

So, rather than marrying in a church because that is what others want, I would do what I want & marry in a place that made me happy.

A beach maybe, or a wonderful house................or The Crooked Billet, my favourite foodie pub ,that would be great :P

With music that I love too,& a nice non Bridal frock.............. :D

I dont go to church anymore. the only one I could get to is a C of E so high its... well extremely high anglican.

I used to go to what I guess is a free church (vineyard for those who've heard of it.

The only thing they both have in common is the beautiful music from two extremes, sadly the local church singing isnt up to much.

I grew up listening to classical music and I'm the same with it as I am any other type. theres bits I like and bits I don't.

I agree though I do think its upbringing (was that the word used) as all my firneds who weren't exposed to it say they hate classical music. And are most put out when I point out classical parts in their contemporary music (faithless for example)

For the record I can't work out if I'm a hypocrite or not. We got married in the church in out last village (similar to this one but less high) I didn't go there and we had to attend a few services before hand. I am a Christian though and the only reason I don't attend is because I like to read the times and not the Independent. Having said that I could go with the thinking that the Church is the people og God and that the specific building has no consquence.

A beach maybe, or a wonderful house................or The Crooked Billet, my favourite foodie pub ,that would be great

With music that I love too,& a nice non Bridal frock..............

Ohhhh! what kind of dress did you have in mind Sarah?!

I have to say i am not one for dresses normally but loved my wedding dress (will see if i can post a pic on here of it sometime) Its just a shame i can never really wear it again... If you had a non-weddingy dress then you could...

I know Vineyard! They're great churches (but very different in style from from high c of e!)

For the record I can't work out if I'm a hypocrite or not. We got married in the church in out last village (similar to this one but less high) I didn't go there and we had to attend a few services before hand. I am a Christian though and the only reason I don't attend is because I like to read the times and not the Independent. Having said that I could go with the thinking that the Church is the people og God and that the specific building has no consquence.

I don't think you're a hypocrite Bronze for getting married in a church!

For starters you say you're a christian and secondly even if you weren't i wouldn't say anyone is a hypocrite if they are a non christian getting married in church, as they must have a reason - i was curious as to what but Gina and Sarah have given me answers to that! :D

The church is the people of God not a building, but i do think its important as a christian that you go to church as that is one of the best ways of being fed as a christian, worshipping and and having fellowship with other christians (but thats a completly different topic altogether!)

Going to church is the same as any other group really. On this forum, we have discussed our various views, learnt from each other, shared joys and pains and therefore become quite close. Omleteers have made really good friends here. :D :D

In the same way, being part of a church helps you to grow in your faith, to receive and give love and care and learn from each other. That is quite apart (though of course strongly connected to) from Christian beliefs, worship and the power of prayer etc.

Today our sermon was about Big Brother and Jade Goody! I wonder how many other churches had that!

Today our sermon was about Big Brother and Jade Goody! I wonder how many other churches had that! [/color]

ours featured Big Brother, the Bonzo Dog Doo-dah band, chicken-rescues, and a small aubergine...

but the vicar is clearly a complete basket-case and needs to be taken on one side...

:wink:

Phil

Not on our own then!

The sermon completely transformed my thinking about Jade and I am really grateful for that. :oops: The vicar talked about Jade's autobiography and her childhood. He finished with the French saying ' To understand is to forgive'. It fitted so well with our NT reading - the body has many parts but they are all part of the same body.

Not on our own then!

The sermon completely transformed my thinking about Jade and I am really grateful for that. :oops: The vicar talked about Jade's autobiography and her childhood. He finished with the French saying ' To understand is to forgive'. It fitted so well with our NT reading - the body has many parts but they are all part of the same body.

the whole Jade thing is a tricky one... For one thing - her behaviour was unacceptable (though I don't think she was the worst of the three...)

for a second thing - she has become a bit of a scapegoat for attitudes and prejudices that are very widely held - she is accused of bullying (rightly) - and then bullied by the media who set her up in the first place...

for a third thing.. I know plenty of people who were brought up in the East End in dire circumstances - but it doesn't mean they are racist bullies..

I think we have to be very careful of the subtle implication that somebody poor and working class with a rough background is necessarily going to be racist..

it was (largely) poor working-class Eastenders who stood up to Oswald Mosely and the black-shirts...

I still can't shake off the suspicion that the only winners out of all of this sorry saga are Endemol...

:(

Phil

We only realised after we got back from honeymoon ........we had to go back to the church with Mikes dad and a friend of ours as witnesses to redo the certificate and make it legal.

After our honeymoon I looked again at the certificate and found myself married to an Anthony instead of an Andrew!

We had to go all the way up to Manchester from Cambridge to redo the whole thing in front of the same registrar who was as deaf as a post, hence the mistake, even though it said "Andrew" on all the original documents.

Both Dads were witnesses.

You have to larf.

We only realised after we got back from honeymoon ........we had to go back to the church with Mikes dad and a friend of ours as witnesses to redo the certificate and make it legal.

After our honeymoon I looked again at the certificate and found myself married to an Anthony instead of an Andrew!

We had to go all the way up to Manchester from Cambridge to redo the whole thing in front of the same registrar who was as deaf as a post, hence the mistake, even though it said "Andrew" on all the original documents.

Both Dads were witnesses.

You have to larf.

You could have had a lot of fun with that ;)

ours featured Big Brother, the Bonzo Dog Doo-dah band, chicken-rescues, and a small aubergine...

but the vicar is clearly a complete basket-case and needs to be taken on one side...

Phil

even so............ I'd like to have heard that one :wink: Bonzo Dog Doo-dah Band - long time since I heard anything about them! - and a small aubergine :shock: - the mind boggles! :lol:

Me again...

I agree with everything Revnev says (natch) but it was also an interesting take on the vanity of women.

They all were furious that someone who was lets face it was a trillion times more attractive than any of them (beautiful face, lovely hair, figure to die for, elegant, sophisticated and probably educated too) had come in and made them (and the viewers) suddenly aware of their shortcomings.......I mean they stood out a mile.

Neither Jade, Daniella and the S Club person are anything to write home about in any department...they are just famous for being famous and nowt else.

They were all incredibly jealous and in order to put her down and them selves back where they though they belonged, they joined forces and bullied this poor girl.

It was classic schoolgirl bully behaviour, re-enacted every day in the playgrounds of our schools.

In their eyes, it made them seem big and her small whereas it had the opposite effect.

We all know that they would turn on their new allies at the drop of a hat should the need arise.

In some deep dark way it is all connected to reproduction and trying to attract the alpha male.

I just hope that the rest of the world does not think that jade and her new best friends are typical examples of the British woman.

Shame on Channel 4. They are all victims in their own way.

Don't worry Lorna, we had been together 21 years before we got married :shock: been wed now 15months :D

Thanks for the reassurance....we've only been together 6 years so there is hope yet! (Plus he has an odd surname so I need plenty of time to decide whether I would take it :lol::lol: )

Not on our own then!

the whole Jade thing is a tricky one... For one thing - her behaviour was unacceptable (though I don't think she was the worst of the three...)

for a second thing - she has become a bit of a scapegoat for attitudes and prejudices that are very widely held - she is accused of bullying (rightly) - and then bullied by the media who set her up in the first place...

for a third thing.. I know plenty of people who were brought up in the East End in dire circumstances - but it doesn't mean they are racist bullies..

I think we have to be very careful of the subtle implication that somebody poor and working class with a rough background is necessarily going to be racist..

it was (largely) poor working-class Eastenders who stood up to Oswald Mosely and the black-shirts...

I still can't shake off the suspicion that the only winners out of all of this sorry saga are Endemol...

:(

Phil

I'm not disagreeing with you, but often the best way of transforming someone is to love them, not to disapprove of them. Disapprove of the behaviour, not of the person, then educate and help them to understand the effects of their behaviours.

Today our sermon was about Big Brother and Jade Goody! I wonder how many other churches had that! [/color]

Phil

I wonder who that was then!!!!!!! :roll::wink::lol:

Would you still do it if you were getting married now Sarah or would you go for somewhere else? There are soooo many places you can get married these days... I guess much more choice then 17 years ago. You can get married underwater or scuba diving now!

I'd like to have got married at Highbury - "Ooops, word censored!"nals old stadium! Not sure what the mother in law would have made of that though... :?

I did consider Stamford Bridge!! :lol:

We got married abroad in 1996, because my parents are divorced and at that time my dad was with a horrible woman (no longer thank goodness) and the thought of a rugby scrum at wedding reception didnt bear thinking about.

We went to the Seychelles - just the 2 of us and it was idyllic. Had a church blessing when we got home.

Thanks for the reassurance....we've only been together 6 years so there is hope yet! (Plus he has an odd surname so I need plenty of time to decide whether I would take it )

If you don't like it Looney, don't take it!

I thought a lot before taking Mikes. In fact it was only when Mike said he'd take MY surname if i liked, that i agreed (he knows how to play me, if he had put his foot down over me taking his, then i would have refused and kept mine!) Its a very outdated and sexist tradition, however it is easier to have just the one surname between you and makes it easier on any kids you may have in the future...

:lol::lol::lol:

Lovely flowers Helen.. Our vicar was dead against decorating the church "Its a house of God, not a bloody florists" or something along those lines. :lol:

He also moaned at OH's dad (who was his best man 8) ) for having such a flourishing signature.... :roll: I think he was afraid he would snap his precious ink pen.

:lol:

Still have my wedding dress, but 15 years on, I'll never fit into it ever again.... and the photos are now old enough to look out of fashion and dated, so I'm not posting any....

Where is the Seychelles did you go Chelsea? We've been there too: Mahé, Bird Island, Praslin and La Digue. 8)