Boris70

white egg layer - and white chook?

Hello,

Does anyone know of a white egg layer - that it also a white chook? OH has agreed I can have some more girls when we move - but one condition is that we have to get a white chook who lays white eggs - as he wants to call her Blanche!

I'd quite like one a girl who lays a decent number of eggs too - as my pekins are great girls - just not very productive - and buying eggs at the shops really doesn;t seem right!

Thanks

Oh,do get a White Star - our Lily is a gorgeous hen & everyones favourite :P

The eggs are lovely too, really big,pure white & with a huge yolk.

White Stars are Medowsweet hens - here is a link.

Don't be put off if the hens you see are young.They look a bit odd when they are younger, but grow into lovely looking hens!

http://www.meadowsweetpoultry.co.uk/index3.html

We're on our second Whitestar - they are lovely birds. They are a Leghorn cross though so can run very fast if they ever escape!

Meadowsweet have a new hybrid which lays white eggs - their new ones aren't on their website. If you phone an agent, they will tell you what it is called (I've forgotten) it is a Heritage ***** and looks similar to the Heritage Skyline which lays blue eggs. They both look like a Cream Legbar though - no white birds!

My Lily has barely had a day off from laying, so I can certainly vouch for the reliability.

She can also run like the clappers,is nosey in the extreme & has a definite excess of character.

She is the favourite in my flock,if you hadn't already guessed!

This is her when she was still qite young - she now has an enormous floppy comb:D

CopyofLilyEglu.jpg

Our sussex star Lily was from Omlet. She is beautiful, fiesty, full of character and best of all lays a pure white egg nearly every day...I love her.

She looks like a light sussex...white with a few black tufts...and thats what her daddy was. Her mother was Rhode Island Red but you'd never know.

My white star layed religiously throughout the year, having the occasional day off, but certainly didn't take a winter break, unlike our Sussex Star who did take a winter break (and who, like Lesleys, laid beige eggs)

White Stars are a pretty good bet, I'd say!