abwsco

Just had a visit from the council

about Dinners crowing, so it looks like his days will be numbered and Sunday's too.

He's happy with what we are doing, ie shutting him in and covering the Go up but will contact me again if there are any more complaints. He wasn't sure if the two complaints about the noise where from before we'd covered him up.

Anyway, he also suggested that we put out rat bait/traps every now and again to show we don't have a rat problem as that could be the next complaint they get :( Advice on traps/bait would be great please.

On a positive note he was happy with the setup, the noise from the girls is not a problem at all and he thought it was a shame as the boys were magnificent. Oh, and Dinner never crowed once-lol

I know we have had this before but it really annoys me, some people are so nasty, we want to move house and OH wants to get a cockrel, I think they sound fantastic, pity we are not neighbours Anne we would get on just fine. I hope it all works out for you and Dinners and Sunday. Chin up and big hugs to you and the boys

Jackie

I always want to know why they don't come see you first before complaining? Grr! Luckily I have planning permission for boys and mostly understanding neighbours.

Not sure on traps as I have a big tomcat who patrols the whole neighbourhood for rats and pheasants (once) but I know you can get sticky boards a bit like flypaper which they stick to which means the local population can't get an immunity to whichever poisons are used :)

I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't get any more complaints :pray:

I will never understand why people can be like that. My neighbours one side don't like the sound of my cockerel but have not yet reported me although the man next door does shout out of his window several times a week calling the cockerel words which I will not type on a family forum. (I do not swear myself but one of the words he shouts at the top of his voice is usually described as being the most offensive of the swear words) :shock:

I think he's got a flippin' cheek being honest-a grown man shouting things like that when he knows I have two small children :shameonu:

Anyway, I truly hope that you get to keep your boys :D

Hope there are no more complaints, I know you've got fond of them. :( We've got several cockerels in the village and I love to hear them crow- though I have to listen hard and only hear them if the wind is in the right direction. Don't think I'm brave enough to risk a cockerel as we are in a cul de sac so the neighbours are closer.

Have you got rats, or is it just a precaution against complaints ? I bought Tomcat poison in block form when I saw ratty (this was before I got chickens ). Luckily he was living in the compost bin so I was able to put a block of poison in with him,and put the lid on so nothing else could get it. It did the trick, the poison disappeared and so did ratty, haven't seen any since - which just proves chickens do not automatically mean rats :D

Do you know anyone who keeps ferrets ? I've heard if you sprinkle the ferret litter around the rats' holes then that will scare them away.

Sorry to hear that and just when you were taking steps to rehome them anyway, people have no patience :(

Blocks of rat poison are good, they fit on rods inside rat bait boxes so none should be spilt if the box is moved, make sure the bix is locked afterwards (plastic 'key' supplied for this) put boxes against fences or walls as rats move around the edges of an area out of habit, cover the box in some wet leaves or similar (I use dirty straw) to take the human smell off a bit, it takes a while for them to strat being used, check and refill as necessary

Thanks everyone. We know we've been optimistic thinking we could keep them. Really hoping I can get them rehomed but if not we will eat them although DD's have said they won't.

Jay, that's dreadful of your neighbour and even worse when there's small children around :(

Thanks for the info on the rat posion Ali and Tasha. We've never seen rats or evidence of any but I got the feeling he was giving me the "nod" so that there were no grounds for complaint. I know he said he was going to put on file that we were baiting and hadn't seen any.

The police helicopter is going overhead and Dinner has decided it's competition and is crowing his head off -oops - lol

Hi abwsco-just reading your comments and wondered where in Lancashire you are?

We are due to get a few bantams in a few weeks time and one of our neighbours is a serial complainer so what is the council's stand in keeping chickens if they get complaints? :?: We won't be having any cockerels so I don't anticpate noise levels to be too high

I don't think its reasonable to keep a cockerel in our situation and wouldn't think to keep one here. We are end of terrace with a 70' garden and houses at the end with smaller gardens and houses either side.

My neighbour decided to hatch eggs and got a cockerel, the thing wouldnt shut up, all day and from 3am through the coop!! in the end the council came to see her and she said she would get rid of it, people had complained about 3 of us on our street (though i never got a letter) obviously wasn't sure which house it came from and decided we were all in the wrong!!!

Now its gone nothing has since been said and council withdrew complaint.

OH no not that easy!! the remaining chick has decided its a cockerel and doodle doing from 6am , my daughter gets woken every morning by it!! luckily i dont hear it as at front of house but annoyed its waking her up! as the days get lighter it will start earler :evil: She's asking for trouble not getting rid of it as soon as possible.

Sorry if i'm not being a cockerel lover but if it wakes me or my family an hour or more before they need to get up i'm not happy! i don't live in the country and can sleep through town noises. If it crowed once but over and over again. So i can see peoples points of view!

I have to say, as a cockeral owner, my sympathies are with neighbours. My boy has started crowing again after his moult but not till 7.45 am ish. Last year, during the summer he started at 4.00am or some equally awful time, and during the hot spell people naturally had their windows open. Most of my neighbours are fine with his noise, particularly as they know we rehomed him to save his neck, but one isn't. He gets an early train every morning and was fed up with his short nights sleep being interrupted. I quite understood, his wife said 'I know you'll do the right thing' and I did - I moved the cockeral as far away as I can from our houses - about 200ft - and put the henhouse behind the wood shed for extra muffling. Well you can still hear him, but its much much less intrusive and harmony reigned for the rest of the summer. If something goes wrong this year and I have more complaints I will get rid of the cockeral. Its as simple as that - people do have a right to a good nights sleep.

I rarely come on here even though I find the level of obsession of some of the members entertaining if I am honest but I thought I would post an outsiders point of view.

Consider this.

If someone who lived near you had a dog with a particularly annoying bark and decided to do it for an untold amount of time from an hour before sun up in their garden everyday what would you do about it? What if it continued doing it when you wanted to do things in your garden like relax in the sun or whatever else? My guess is you would confront the neighbour or alert the local council for unacceptable noise pollution.

At this time of year most people sleep with their windows closed but what about when it gets warmer and people want to leave their windows open? Should they have to keep them closed because you as a fowl owner deem the noise to be acceptable and think they should keep their windows shut? Is your estate all double glazed? If not then those without are more susceptible to external noise. Should they have to put up or shut up because you have some fantasy about living in the country when you blatantly don't have the resources to enable you to do so?

What are your neighbours like? Are they all boorish to the point that you have absolutely no consideration for them? All on here expect others to be considerate of their desire to keep chickens so why can you not respect your neighbours wish to live in an urban area and not be plagued by farmyard sounds at all hours of the day or night?

I know if I was in this position I would be discussing the matter with my neighbours if they were approachable or with the council if they weren't. Live and let live would be my advice.

I can understand their POV, our neighbours had a cockerel (thought he was a hen) and he wasn't too bad - I liked the noise and it never woke me up - their other neighbours the other side complained and he had to go.

With the rats/mice - we bought a box with a blue gel in it. The mouse would go in the box and eat the gel so there was no risk of the chickens getting at it - seemed to do the job :D

We also bought some blue rat poison which looks like blue mixed corn but would keep that well away from the chooks :D

I dont see many houses in that pic ratfan :anxious:

Some people complain even if you are in the countryside, someone on one of the forums was recently told by a neighbour 'I didnt move to the country to hear animals' :shock:

I do live in the country but in a terrace house, I have at least 10 cockerels but luckily have wonderful neighbours who also have a cockerel and a chicken breeder further down the road - no chance of peace and quiet in our village!

Living in the country has nothing to do with resources! some of the poorest people in the UK live in very rural areas likewise very rich people live in cities! :?