andy

What will the neighbours say??

Call me stupid or something, but does it matter what the neigbours say?

We are lucky to have a great size garden. Still plenty of room for everyone even if we penn off a large part of it just for the Chicky Girls.

So far, as a temporary thing, we have been partitioning small parts of the garden and moving it around. So as not to have kids running poop all throughout the house, we are now making a larger section for them for the summer (Intending to let them have the full run of hte garden in the winter).

The neighbours one side have been on holiday since we got the girls (the other side is moving anyway). The area we are going to use has had a large paddling pool in it until yestersay. We have now taken out the pool and have been left with a terrble rotting smell from the completely balck dead grass under it.

My worry is, along with the wife's, is that the neighbours might think it's the chickens. But it's not, they don't smell (much).

They are nice neighbours, but we didn't tell them about the girls. They are back now, ut we haven't seen them yet. We think they maybe hiding in away from the smell.

Are we in trouble? Will the grass stop smelling soon? Does anyone know away around dead rotting grass without diggining it all out?

If I were you I'd poop a little cardlet through their door saying: -

"Hello neighbours (names if you know them) - Welcome back from your hols. Trust you had a nice time. Sorry if you've come back to a bit of a pong but we've moved our paddling pool and it's left some smelly rotton grass underneath. It should go soon, in the meantime we hope it isn't causing you any upset"

Honesty is the best policy I say and they'll be pleased that you are considerate enough to think about them. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what they think but to be fair to them they may not know anything at all about chickens so for them the association between smell and new chooks next door may be an obvious conclusion to jump to. It's for you to enlighten them about the true source of the pong. Be up front and in due course of time they will learn about your girls and - more importantly - learn to love them :wink::wink::D Getting on with your neighbours is so important in my opinion - it can make all the difference to how you enkoy your home so make a bit of an effort I say - if they throw it back at you and aren't responsive then is the time to not bother - but make the effort first.

Since pooping on neighbours hall floor has failed - need plan B

POST a note written with pen on clean paper through letterbox explaining stinky grass problem. Assure them you are dealing with problem in a 21st century manner by especially purchasing hens to put on said disgusting grass. The hens will scratch up all the nasty slimy black stuff in no time at all and replace it with sweet smelling bare earth. They will even create one or more holes in the earth which they will roll around in and scratch with their feet and fling into the air to properly aerate the soil and replace nasty smelling anaerobic bacteria with nice organic smelling aerobic ones. Hens will also leave little packages on earth to encourage the nice aerobic bacteria.

Offer to lend them the hens, complete with eglu and run, for a short period of time if they get nasty smelly black grass :D:D:D

You are such a hero to your neighbourhood :wink:

ps, leave wife out of plan B so you can take all the credit :lol::lol:

It was raining all day yesterday, good excuse for note rather than meeting. So note, not the other stuff, was pushed through door yesterday whilst they were out shopping.

In amidst all that, Blue had her first egg yesterday Coopl! What do you do with it now? No one will let me eat it.

You could always blow it, you know, darning needle, two holes (one either end), pierce the yolk with the needle and blow through one end like mad get all the insides out and use them anyway, then preserve the egg shell forever! Perhaps the kids could paint it??

hi daisy duck here, or the long suffering wife of andy (you can all feel sorry for me now!!)

saw the neighbours this morning they seem fine she even knocked later with two little chicken ornaments! How nice :lol:

Hi daisy duck, :D:D

Ohhhhhhhh lovely, glad it's all sorted and hope you have fun with your chooks, (sure you will). :D:D

hi daisy duck here, or the long suffering wife of andy (you can all feel sorry for me now!!)

saw the neighbours this morning they seem fine she even knocked later with two little chicken ornaments! How nice :lol:

Hey Dear.

You shouldn't be on here messing about. You shold be getingt the house work sorted, and my dinner ready for when I get home.

Pease!

I know dear, hitting myself about the head right now... :lol: