Cinnamon

eBay - where do I stand on this one?

Sarah, what an awful thing to have happened. This is the time when you wish you hadn't agreed to store it for him, and that you had just got shot of it. Or told him no, he needed to make his own storage arrangements.

If you hadn't sold the trailer, and you had stored it at your friends house, what would you do? Would you (a) claim on your house insurance, or(b) his, or © just accept the loss?

I think that whatever you answer to that question, is how you need to handle this.

IMHO, I would say (I know I'm going against the flow, but I'm thinking about how I would want to be treated if I was the buyer) that you should reimburse the buyer. If you chose (a) or(b) above, you will eventually get your money back from insurance; if you chose ©, then as you've already been paid for the trailer, you've had money that you wouldn't have had anyway.

Of course, if you could find him a replacement trailer (that doesn't cost you any more) then that would be even better.

I'm so sorry. On a practical note, if you do look for a replacement trailer and you see a suitable one on Ebay or whatever my way (and the other side of me to you), then I'd be very happy to collect it fot you. DH has a towbar on his car.

Edited to add: I did read, and do understand, that you aren't in a position financially to reimburse him, so I know that my reply isn't really very helpful.

<> to you.

Hazel

Thanks Hazel - we have no shortage of towbars here,but there is a shortage of trailers it would seem :roll:

Ho hum - he keeps emailing me asking if I have heard anything.I think he thinks the Police will find it - I believe he is very mistaken on that point :?

He will of course be reimbursed,but I can't do that until I get the insurance money - simply not enought funds at the moment :roll:

The money has been spent as it was 3 months ago he paid us & Christmas was inbetween :lol:

I will have to see what tomorrow brings,when he is due here to pick it up. I guess he might pitch up to see what is going on ,but I will cross that bridge when i come to it :?

Indeed 8)

I shall see what the insurance says,but that is a good get out clause if they do refuse to pay out.

They have already refused to pay out for a couple of mini motorbikes (motorised toy ones) that were also in the locked building & stolen along with the trailer.

Hubby also lost a nail gun & a welder that his friend was borrowing & we have recipts for neither item :roll:

Honestly,you couldn't make it up!

After a week of worry & trying to sort out the stolen trailer debacle,my Husband has just informed me of another problem with another sale.

We sold a small car at the beginning of January to a UK buyer,who then emailed us to say that they actually lived in Ibiza :roll: , & yes, you have guessed it,can we hang on to the car for a week until they can collect.They paid a small deposit, which we accepted on the condition that they come the following week. They didn't show up.

Hubby phoned them,& they were back in Ibiza,but coming back the following week .........again they didn't show & we believe they are out of the country again.

We can't get hold of them - the car in being stored in a friends lock-up (& we all know how successful that was last time), but he needs it gone by next week. As Hubby has just bought a new work van,space is really tight here,so we need this thing gone :?

So, what do we do?

re list it?

Do we return their deposit despite the mucking around they have given us (I am reluctant to do this,just so the re list fees are covered)

Have told Hubby to open his own darn eBay account,as I am never selling a vehicle for him again :evil:

Email them and say that they have exceded the agreed time and wil lose their deposit if they dont collect by x date

Also say if you have to store it they need to insure it first

I am constantly surprised by what people do :roll:

:lol: Just what I was thinking. If you give him notice, then he has already exceeded the terms of your contract of sale, so you'd be justified in holding onto the deposit or only returning part of it to cover expenses.

You could also consider reporting them as a non-paying bidder.

Or cancelling the transaction anyway via Ebay. You can do this through the "dispute resolution" centre. As a Seller you can choose "I haven't receivedmy payment" or "I want to cancel the transaction". I can't remember what the "reason" options are under "I want to cancel..."

That way the buyer gets notified by Ebay as well, and you stand a chance of getting your fees back,.

Thanks Hazel - yes I know all about reporting & so forth.

very annoyingly they (the car people) got back to me & tried to pay in full without giving a date to collect.As I would then feel bound to 'hold' it for them until they wafted over this way again,I refused payment.Its a storage issue,not a money one,& I am not storing it here after this weekend! :?

they have also asked if we can deliver it to Bristol :roll::roll::lol:

Trouble is both of these hiccups have been listed as UK buyers with a UK address,but they live overseas :twisted:

My only consolation is that if they did leave me negative feedback,I could get it removed as their address is not their actual address - I can also report them,should I wish to do so.

......................just had it confirmed that the insurance people will not pay out for the stolen trailer,as it was not listed on my friends insurance :?

Am going to email the buyer in the morning to tell him. The insurance people didn't know it dodn't belong to my friend,but his insurance didn't cover such an item anyhow. I guess it was down to the buyer to insure it..........

This is going to be fun :roll: