Gailoh

Losing our hens, please advise us if you can.

what ridiculous persecution for having 4 chickens, i have 12 but then i have a 6 foot fence to keep out prying eyes, which is a shame because i had a lovely view as i live on top of a hill but similar to you one side of my house resides the neighbours from hell!

I'd be too scared to get so much as a Guinea Pig now considering the hassle there's been!

It's utter madness, as we have farms all around us.

Never have found out why this neighbour felt she had to act this way, but some people you just can't work out. Our other neighbours have been just as supportive and great as you guys. But they get free eggs!

Our fence will soon be up to 5 foot at it's lowest, so unless they ever learn to pole-vault, these girls won't be going anywhere.

To be honest, seeing how warm and wise everyone was has made up for this one unreasonable person!

One day, we'll have a smallholding with as many rescued hens and other creatures as we can reasonably manage, and then no one will be able to moan about noisy chickens!

So glad you haven't had to rehome them. It just sounds as if this neighbour is being totally unreasonable, but perhaps now she's tried and got nowhere, she will divert her attention to other things.

I am not nearly as meticulous as you about my hens, but they don't smell, and neither do my compost bins which are full of lovely chicken-poo! Shame you can't store it, but there'll be someone glad of it for their gardens.

May I suggest that you offer grumpy neighbour your chicken poo for her compost bin, seeing as you can't keep it for your own? :twisted:

Or offer it to the neighbour on her OTHER side and then let her complain to the council/EH about her other neighbour's compost bin :lol:

Glad the girls are staying :clap::clap: Common sense rules!.

Why not simply dig the compost straight into a trench? No need to store it as 'compost' then, and as it rots down it will take more and more until it's lovely enriched soil you can use in situ or elsewhere ... in only a matter of weeks for flowers, but rather longer for veg.

I left the UK in 1996 and I don't know what has happened to you in that time. You are like a different country and not in a good way. Some morons have decided that everything that is fun or different contravenes health and safety. It's like a war cry in the UK. Cant have slides in the playground, kids might fall off, health and safety, Lollypop man can't high five kids (my personal fav), health and safety. It's all rubbish. When I was young loads of people had chickens, didn't matter if you lived in a private home of a council house, no one would have given this a second thought. The world is being taken over by busy bodies.

Does your HA allow pets? Does your neighbour have pets? Surely 4 chickens can be considered pets, its not like you are running a battery farm. Your neighbour just sounds like a nasty cow. I'm afraid I would want revenge but I guess I am not as nice as everyone on the board (you really are nice)

I have a very small holding (it's a tiny holding really, 1/2 acre) but its in an unincorporated area ( no city rules) My neighbours would not care if I kept dinosaurs and I am thankful for that. I would like a bigger holding but I fear I may go crazy with goats and donkeys.. :lol:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Stand your ground.

Common sense rules! I suspect that the " monitoring" will peter out as they won't have the resources to keep the focus on your situation - more pressing needs will intervene. But well done for standing your ground!

Tricia

I agree!

Well done for holding out. Hopefully your neighbour will find a different "cause" to fight - one that doesn't involve you!