Chickpea

What y'all reading at the moment?

What y'all reading at the moment? Just thought it'd be interesting to have a little literary discussion!

Currently I'm reading 'Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs' by Jeremy Mercer.

"It tells the story of a crime reporter who flees to Paris after a threat from a gang source. There he discovers the wondrous world of Shakespeare and Company, an old bookshop where he is invited to stay amongst the bookshelves and strange characters (mainly writers) inhabiting the place."

So far, I find it pretty interesting and very readable.

So what about you?

I'm trying to plough through a literacy strategy as part of keeping up to date on issues as a Govenor at the childrens school,

and also a self help sort of book for teenagers, I bought for my eldest, and thought I ought to read first, so I know what it's about :roll: ..... plus it was supposed to help me help them :roll:

Don't think I'm any the wiser!

karen x

Am reading Kate Adie's ""Ooops, word censored!"ody's Child" about foundlings and the changing attitudes to illegitimacy.

Am only a few chapters in but think it terrifically well researched and written and very moving.

Why don't we start a Lending Library....a kind of book swapshop!

Great idea.

I have just started "The interpretation of Murder" by Jen Rubenfeld from the Richard & Judy book club.

Its a fictional account of what may have happed when Sigmund Freud went to America, & is good even though I only started it last night.

I have just finished "What about me" by Kate Figes, which is about a household in crisis when adolescence & menopause clash.It is hilarious & I would recommend it to any mother of a teenage daughter.

My daughter loved it too, & I think it helped her to understand that somethimes her behaviour is unreasonable & can affect everyone in the home.

No novels on the go at the moment. I'm going through a phase of dipping in and out of several different books. My reading pile at the moment consists of:

most recent issue of National Geographic

Fauna Britannica

The World of the Polar Bear

The Basque History of the World

most recent copy of Marie Claire!

I also seem to spend a lot of time reading recipe books!

Just finished A life Stipped Bare by Leo Hickman.

So now dipping in and out of some eco-friendly books.

Yeah that's a good one! But once I finished it I had to go out and get his other book! 'A Good Life' is full of advice and tips for those wanting to go green, and is presented colourfully, a good book.

I mostly read biographies - but I'm only allowed to read paperbacks in bed because I fall asleep and drop them on Carl's head :?

I'm dipping into books on Hatching Eggs/Keeping Sheep/Cattle etc. but in bed I'm reading..

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett - I love his books and it takes me away from heavy biogs. :D

I have just started reading " Dinner at the homesick restaurant " by Anne Tyler.........I am enjoying it so far, it is a little bit morbid. "Pearl lies dying, stiffly encased in her pride and solitude, the past is unlocked and with it it's secrets." But very well written with some funny bits along the way.......... :)

I fancy reading "What about me" by Kate Figes thanks for the review Sarah.......

Nicola,I would offer to lend it but Devon has passed it onto her pals :roll:

She liked it so much that I have got "The big fat b**ch book" by the same author for her birthday next month.It looks into the psycology of why teen girls b**ch at each other & as Devon is very adept at this & is into psycology I thought it would fit the bill nicely 8):D

I have just finished Peter Kays book The Sound of Laughter - very funny though my OH didnt think so when i woke him up with my laughter! :oops::lol:

About to read The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison 'an enquiry into why black beauty is wasted by a cultural engine that murders possibilities'

Im also reading books on Brief Therapy for a paper i am writing for work.

I love a good book.

I've just finished reading Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper.

Heart wrenching.

I agree Gina, I love Jodi Picoults books. She confronts some really challenging issues and it always seems as if she does some pretty research first.

I love reading but my taste is pretty eclectic, I'll read anything, yes, even the back of a cornflakes packet :roll: Right now I'm working my way through a Lonely Planet Guide in preparation for our holiday 8)

Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander Mccall Smith

the no. 1 ladies detective agency series as recommended by Cinnamon I think!

Easy reading, fab stories.

Just finished his book, the girl who married a lion. Lots of very short stories about African folk law. Strange but good.

Still trying to get into Terry Pratchett! AnnieP has recommended starting with Guards Guards so will hunt it out. Shame another trip to Waterstones :wink: !

Don't have much time to browse for books in the library - the dear sons do insist on stripping bare the video shelves while my backs turned! So I grab the first book I see by an author I know. Just finished James Patterson's Lifeguard. OK I suppose, typical Patterson easy read! I love Terry Pratchett but haven't read anything of his for a while, must get up to date with his recent works! Also recently read Nelson Demille - Nightfall. Also quite good if you like typical american cop stories (I love'em!) :lol::lol:

'Yesterday, today, forever' by Maria von Trapp.

Through the von Trapp's family experiences she tries to explore what the family life of Mary, Joseph and Jesus must have been like. I enjoy it when I read it, but I have noticed that some nights I prefer to do a crossword or not read at all, so it can't be that gripping!

I always 2 or 3 books at the same time...............depending on where I am when i get a moment to read :D:D

At the mo, I'm reading 'The Da Vinci Code', The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime', and Michael J Fox's Autobiography

All good reads.........just occasionally gets a bit confusing reading 3 books at once :?:?

I'm the same Pam, although the Jodi Picoult book I just read took president over everything else. I'm reading an easy read at the minute (Playground Mafia) as a break from Jodi, so I am back to reading The Square Foot Gardener, Calvin and Hobbes and dipping in and out of The Baby Whisperer too.

I have Jodi's next book under the bed, ready to start.

Been reading poodles at dawn, on and off, about 3 Irish vets, very funny! But also reading anatomy and physiology, for my course.Last book I read was lovely bones, about a little girl who was murdered by a neighbour, and the story was her view from heaven :cry: very sad, but got you thinking about the next life.

At the mo, I'm reading 'The Da Vinci Code', The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime'

Two of my all time favourite books :P

I have given up on Interpretation of Murder - it got too Psychoanalytical for me :roll:

I am now on "This book will save your life" also from the Richard & Judy book club.So far it is brilliant :P

Does anyone else watch the Book Club on R&J on a Wednesday?

I really like it & have discovered some amazing books from there :D