l_ouise

What is the difference in Eglu chickens?

Hello.

I can't decide between Miss Pepperpot and the Gingernut Ranger.

What is the difference?

Why are they the chickens that Eglu supply?

What is the Gingernut Ranger a mix of?

I would ideally want a clean and docile but friendly chicken that lays really tasty eggs.

I'm not sure whether to get three of the same or just one (i was told to introduce new chickens in 2's which i would do at a later date) - can a chicken be happy on it's own?

Thanks

hi I've had both the gingernuts and a Miss Pepperpot,

Can't tell you why omlet supply them but guess at they are hybrids and really friendly and good layers.

Both lovely chickens but we did prefer Miss Pepperpot as she had such a personality.

The gingernut ranger is a mix of Rhode island red and light sussex ( I looked on breed page, really useful for when you choose some more)

Don't just get 1, 3 is much better they need the company.

Good luck.

Definitely get three.

We had two gingernuts and one pepperpot last October. I love them all. I think on balance I'd go for pepperpots, but they all have lovely personalities, and although you aren't supposed to have favourites, little Gwennie, a gingernut, is mine.

I am going to try other sorts of chickens in due course though, if DH allows :)

We got 2 gingernuts and 1 miss pepperpot. The MP has been the bravest of our original 3 and is always the first one to come over and see whats going on. That said one of the gingernuts is my favourite, she's quite a gentle soul, she's very pretty. The other gingernut doesn't have much of a personality and is also a bit of a bully.

They've all got such different personalities. Why not have a mix? :D

We also had 2 Gingernuts and 1 Pepperpot, but my Pepperpot (Pearl) was the shyest of them all. Opal and Ruby (Gingernuts) are far more friendlier than she was, following us around, eating out of our hands. I think it's just individual personalities really - like people :wink:

HI, I got 2 of each. I really wouldn't like to choose which are best to be honest. The Pepperpot seems to be the bigger breed. They both lay really nice eggs although the Ranger's seem to be a bit smaller, average 53g to Pepperpots 60g. They all have individual personalities between them, all are as friendly and inquisitive. I couldnt decide how many of each to get if I got 3 so had to get 4 so I could have 2 of each :whistle:

I think Eglu provide these as many first time chicken keepers want exacty the same as you do. They are both Hybrid birds which are bred for regular laying, hardiness and ease of care. They are both wonderful family pets, I am a childminder and all the kids love them!!! I don't think you can go wrong with either breed.

Good luck choosing!!! :wink:

Whatever mix you get, the minimum is 2. Omlet won't supply a single chicken, they shouldn't be kept alone. :D My gingernuts were very friendly and full of character, but they both died aged 2 and a half years old. My pepperpot is a bit more feisty but is now 5 years old and still laying. Now she is older,she is much more friendly.

I had one Pepperpot PP and one Gingernut GNR . Both were equally as friendly and were best of friends - no pecking order. However, when Melody died and left Liberty on her own it did cause a problem as we were about to go on holiday and didn't have time to introduce any more (we sent her on hols to other hens :wink: ).

Anyway, to cut a long story short it would have been much better if we had had 3 to start with as Liberty wouldn't have been left on her own. We have 3 now! :lol:

We had one of each with our eglu, and then introduced two more soon afterwards along with extra bits to the run. They were both lovely, sadly the gingernut GNR died at about a year, she was our friendliest hen always in the middle of whatever you were doing, the pepperpot PP is still with us, she is over two now but only lays softies which is a shame :( .

I agree with others go for three, we always aimed to have 4 so went for two and two. But in the next week or two we are going to get some more :D:D

Chrissie