Tina C

Cilla, Dusty and Petula - photos now in gallery

We are getting our ex-batts this Sunday. wheeeeeheeeee.

Layla and I have been dancing around singing a duet of 'I'm so excited' (just before bedtime, not a good idea) with a bit of improvisation on the words - 'I know, I know, I know, I know I want chooks'.

I pity her classmates tomorrow - I am sure they are sick of hearing about chickens...

Kate A if you are out there - see you Sunday!

Anyone else helping at Jean's this weekend?

Edited by Guest

We are getting our ex-batts this Sunday. wheeeeeheeeee.

Layla and I have been dancing around singing a duet of 'I'm so excited' (just before bedtime, not a good idea) with a bit of improvisation on the words - 'I know, I know, I know, I know I want chooks'.

Totally brilliant!! I can just see the pair of you now! :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with the chickens - photos please! :D:D:D

Tina, fantastic news, you must be so excited, great news. Those lucky girls are going to have a brilliant new home :D:D

I love the names by the way.

Kate A if you are out there - see you Sunday!

I'll be there for sure Tina, Jean & the team have got rescues both days this weekend, so it's a busy one, but great news for all those lovely hens. I'll probably have my daughter with me, and I'll be surprised if Sophie 101am from the forum isn't around but I'm not sure who else is helping on the Sunday yet.

Do come and say "hi", it'll be great to meet you :D:D

Still excited...

Advice please. We are going to put the new girls in cardboard carriers to bring them home. I was thinking of putting them in the back of our pick-up, which has a hinged metal cover thingy so it will be nice and dark and they may settle for a snooze. But Layla, being only almost six and even more excited than I am, wants them on the back seat with her.

Although we know the lid on the back sometimes lets water in I am now panicking in case it doesn't have enough air for them. What to do?

The girls tomorrow will be spending a lot of time travelling. They're actually coming from a farm in Bristol, but Jane Haworth is driving them to Reading where Jean is going to meet her and collect the birds from her. That's one of the reasons why the collection time is so late, so that we can unload them and let them get some air, as well as food and water :D before they're loaded back into another car.

Not sure what to advise about the pick up, I'd guess as long as there's plenty of ventilation and the boxes are secure and not about to slip and slide everywhere they should be fine in the back :D Otherwise you can secure a box on the back seat of a car with the seatbelts, but I'd suggest putting some plastic sheeting or something on the seat first to protect the upholstery, hens produce a lot of poo, and if they're a bit agitated they poo all the more :shock: , and it can sometimes be a bit watery. It's honestly unlikely to seep through the bottom of a cardboard box, but being rather too familiar with the smell I'd personally want to be sure that the seats were well protected..........just in case :wink:

I'll see you tomorrow, not long now :D .

You're doing a wonderful thing giving them a lovely home. We rehomed 250+ today, but it was simply heartbreaking leaving so many other girls in cages at the farm. Brilliant to know though that as people become more aware of the plight of battery hens, the work of the BHWT, and just how wonderful chickens are as pets, that more and more people like you are giving them fabulous new homes and a happy retirement :D:D Thank you.

Good luck with getting your girls :D I was so excited when I got mine, the weather was so bad I wouldn't have gone if it was just to visit friends :oops: , but to get my rescue girls was different :D

It is such a wonderful feeling to bring them home and watch them settle in.

karen x

Thank you. Mike (OH) is now worried about the vibrations and noise in the back of pickup so it looks like they are going on the back seat - with the windows open and lots of plastic tablecloths everywhere. Layla can then keep an eye on things for us. Will give her something to do.

Poor things, having such a long journey today. It will be almost dark when we get home so we are going to put a light in their house and give them a chance to eat and drink and work out where they are going to sleep. They probably won't be able to reach the roosting bars, so they will have to snuggle in a heap on the floor. I might try and rig up near something lower down with my spare eglu bars. Or they might decide that the nestboxes look comfy?

Still excited. See you later Kate. We are the ones with the wildly excited (and very tall) nearly-6-year old. Hoping to get there about 4 so we can get home by 6 and get Layla calm enough to go to bed.

They are here!

And they behaved themselves impeccably on the way home - no poo!

Petula did not like roundabouts very much, Cilla was very quiet and Dusty tried to strike up a conversation with Layla, who spent the journey stroking her feathers when they poked out of the air holes. Probably saying 'Gerroff'.

They are all in bed now, after a bit of pecking order silliness. We think Dusty is top chook at the moment, with Petula at the bottom. As Kate has said elsewhere, most of the hens seeemd in pretty good condition and as these three started the pecking order thing almost straightaway I assume they are feeling OK too.

At lights out there was one in a nest box and two still pecking around. When I turned the torch down low to let them know it was bedtime one tried to get on the roosting bars, which are higher than in an eglu, I am not sure if she managed it in the end or not as Mike told me to leave them alone and stop fussing. Not sure whether I will be able to resist checking them again before I go to bed.

We have a few photos but not sure how to post them yet. so bear with me.