jsbates65

medicated feed?

My chicks are a couple of weeks old. . .what are the thoughts on medicated feed?

Ultimately I want to feed my two the best feed I can buy without any chemicals, etc. But as chicks will this help their immune system?

They are doing very well and seem to be very healthy. . .so is medicated feed usually for large flocks that might have more health issues?

By the way. . .is "chooks" an English expression?

Following the usual rules for immune systems (as I don't know much about chickens, although I know plenty about human beings), medicated feed is more likely to impair their immune systems than help them.

It's pretty well accepted that continual low-grade exposure to germs is essential to the development of a healthy immune system. So, keeping things too clean means that we don't encounter germs and our immune systems get lazy (putting it simplistically). By contrast, if we allow sensible amounts of contact with dirt and germs (e.g. keeping the eating of soil to an occasional treat for your children), the immune system keeps itself in fighting fettle.

So, by analogy, coddling your chicks too much when they're small might not be doing them any favours in the long run.

2p

I agree JS. I think medicated feed is more often used for larger flocks kept in closer confinement, they will be more prone to disease and will spread it faster because of the way they are kept, hence the continual low dose of medication (presumably antibiotics).

And chooks is an Australian term (I think) pinched by us Brits! :lol:

I think you should go for organic chicken feed if you can find it....

We dont have a problem getting it locally, and you know its got no nasty things added. We get Organic Layers pellets and as a treat organic mixed corn.

My grandparents always talked about chooky eggs when we were little and as far as I know they had no contact with Australia. However one of my friends currently in living Australia always calls them Chooks.

I wouldn't waste your money on medicated feed. JohnP is right...you have to eat a peck of dirt...it keeps you healthy....and when your chicks are playing out you will be horrified at what they eat!

The above is the very reason I didn't stop my son eating our dog's biscuits straight from the bowl - a bit of dirt never did anybody any harm - and he has got lovely glossy hair :lol:

I wouldn't waste your money on medicated feed. JohnP is right...you have to eat a peck of dirt...it keeps you healthy....and when your chicks are playing out you will be horrified at what they eat!

The above is the very reason I didn't stop my son eating our dog's biscuits straight from the bowl - a bit of dirt never did anybody any harm - and he has got lovely glossy hair :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: this made me chuckle! :lol::lol: My mum had a similar theory!