Chucky Mama

Hilda has peritonitis - final update -died overnight :(

Looks like I am going to loose my first chicken :( Hilda started laying softies about 2 months ago for about 2 weeks and then stopped altogether. She has been obviously fluffed up and quiet for 24hours. We caught her today (boy for a sick chicken she can't half shift) and she has peritonitis. She was swollen, tight and fluid filled. A large amount of straw coloured fluid, some including what looks like old egg yolk has been drained away. She will feel better having had this drained off but she will get it back :( We will give her a few more happy days of treats and sunshine but will then do the right thing an put her to sleep when it starts to reform :( Poor Hilda :cry:

Oh i'm really sorry to hear that.

I must say that we lost our hen the other month to egg peritonitits, which was awfully upsetting, but i would suggest that if you can handle it, put her down. It is only fair if you are certain she has it. She will come to a end and its not that normal that they ever recover.

It is very uncomfortable for them, and not pain free. When she stops eating or drinking i would advise taking action.

All the best and lots of love for you and Hilda.

Oh i'm really sorry to hear that.

i would suggest that if you can handle it, put her down. It is only fair if you are certain she has it. She will come to a end and its not that normal that they ever recover.

It is very uncomfortable for them, and not pain free. When she stops eating or drinking i would advise taking action.

Yes you are quite right. She is now pretty much empty of fluid so she will have a couple of days of sun & treats and then we will let her go. There is little point in letting it build up to the point of making her uncomfortable again.

It is with some trepidation that I post an update on Hilda - I really don't want to tempt fate...but.. Hilda is still going strong. We have not drained her or treated her in any way since June :D We can feel a little fluid in there but but not enough to rush into draining her. She is a picture of health -obviously not laying but you would never know there was anything wrong with her. I know that she will never lay again and that she will need draining again at some point but she has done amazingly well - I was fully expecting to loose her within 2 weeks and she is still here 7 months down the line :D -(touches wood)

That's really good. Would you consider a superlorin implant? I was advised to get one if my hen got peritonitis again to stop her laying.

No I wouldn't consider a superlorin implant. She has automatically stopped laying, the implant it expensive, unproven and from what I gather Hilda has exceeded the length of time that the implant would have lasted naturally. I initially thought that we would drain her once and then put her to sleep when fluid reformed ( I was expecting it to come back within weeks). She has gone so long that I see no reason not to drain her again. I can't for the life of me understand why so many vets give antibiotics and leave the fluid there. I don't think they have a chance unless you get rid of the fluid. We didn't give any antibiotics.

One of my girls has the same condition. Antibiotics have not helped much. What exactly happens when you have the fluid drained off? Is it stressful/painful for them?

To drain them a sterile needle is inserted into the abdomen and the fluid is drained off using a syringe. It takes about a minute and we didn't use any local or antibiotics afterwards as we felt the procedure was pretty sterile. It will be a little uncomfortable - Hilda didn't flinch but that doesn't mean it wont have hurt a bit ( I had an amnio without any local etc and that didn't hurt). The relieve afterwards of not having free fluid swimming around the abdomen was quite dramatic. Antibiotics wont get rid of the fluid so I don't see the point of just giving antibiotics if the fluid remains.