Dizzy-Deb

Second hand Cubes...would you buy ?

Hi

I had the same dilemma but in the end decided to go for brand new - purely because used ones hold their value so well there was only the difference of up to £100 and once I had factored in picking the Eglu up, it didn't make sense to get a used one.

Now that I have a new one I am really glad I made that decision, purely because of the aftercare offered by Omlet. I had issues with my Eglu Classic when it first arrived as some of the parts like the egg port did not fit snugly and Omlet sorted it all out for me until I was happy with the product. :)

Does it leak? Any damage? Do all the panels fit? Any blistering of the plastic (see this thread)? Ask if you can see it made up (not dismantled) to make sure the panels fit properly. The roof on my 2nd hand one is very slightly distorted (sunk in the middle) so I have to press down at the back (so it tips up a touch at the front) to open it fully - not that it's a big deal for me, it was a good price (I p-exed an Eglu Classic with cash) and also local to me so I couldn't have afforded a new one! And I'm still really pleased!

Hi

I had the same dilemma but in the end decided to go for brand new - purely because used ones hold their value so well there was only the difference of up to £100 and once I had factored in picking the Eglu up, it didn't make sense to get a used one.

Now that I have a new one I am really glad I made that decision, purely because of the aftercare offered by Omlet. I had issues with my Eglu Classic when it first arrived as some of the parts like the egg port did not fit snugly and Omlet sorted it all out for me until I was happy with the product. :)

In typical forum fashion - while I can agree why this author says this I did the opposite. I bought second hand from someone advertising on this forum and by asking all the correct questions, and viewing the cube I ended up with an 8 month old perfect product from nearby. Taking delivery into consideration I saved nearly £150 and didn't need to worry about aftercare as the previous owner had already test driven it and it was very obvious they were genuine. I didn't need to worry about whether it fitted together etc.

As always there are pros and cons to each and a matter of choice probably dependant on whether there are any second hand ones anywhere nearby.

i got mine second hand from here with all the bits ,lots of extras and a roll of omlet netting and its been fantastic i saved close to £200 with all the bits that came with it

i also have a ebay brought classic my £100 bargain

and tomorro my recon GO will be arriving

maybe if your not sure about second hand you can think about a recon

i just phoned omlet and asked about recons he put me on hold while he went to look came back and said yep we have a red one and green one £280 simple as that

so as of tomorro i will be the proud owner of the full range lol

Hi

To add to my previous post. I really would have gone for used but I couldn't find any near me and would have had to pay for a courier to collect - with no opportunity to check it over first and with the cost of the courier it just was not cost effective to go for used - but I did spend weeks looking for a used one and would have no qualms getting used in the future. I think if you can find a bargain and ask the right questions - save your money to spend on extra treats for the girls! Mealworms are so expensive!

Hi

thank you so very much for your replies, its really great on here to get good advice especially for me as so new to the whole concept of chicken keeping.

I have to admit I am still torn between new or used, and can see the merits of both. :D

I am sitting on the fence right now ((see am turning into a chuck :D:D ))

I am watching one on ebay right now, which is fairly close to me and the owner has said can deliver (big bonus). Looks ok in the pics but going to ask a few more questions as suggested in this post.

Thanks again. Will let you know h ow get on. xx

I bought my eglu classic second hand as it was what I could afford. I never viewed it beforehand, but had seen pictures and the guy selling it, (through the forum), simply had too many hens to fit in the one eglu. I was fortunate to get it delivered directly to our house, as his boss kindly drove it down to us on the way to his sister's house, (in exchange for a bottle of wine!).

I still have it over 3 and a half years on and it's fine.

Hi

no there a bit too far really to collect one, delivery approx 2-3 weeks which is not a problem as have decided want a walk in run (hubby going to sort that out). Have seen all the wonderful designs on here :D

I dont have a vehicle anymore so would have to be delivered to me. If hired a van by time paid the day hire/fuel etc its well worth the delivery charge.

Re the used one on ebay, again I have no way of getting over to take a peek at it. The auction will be over by the time I could feasibly get over to see it.

I am truly getting quite excited of the thought of having chucks in the future.... :lol::lol::lol:

Both my eglu and cube are second hand. Both came from Omleteers. I bought my eglu on ebay from Jules, before I knew about the forum. She was really helpful and gave me many useful tips. My cube came via one of the threads on here from another Omleteer who lived quite close to me. Both were in very good condition. Perhaps I was lucky? It will always be a gamble...

I have bought new eglus and cubes and second hand eglus and cubes. My second green cube was a bargain from a forum member. It came with four metres of run and several feeders and drinkers for £500. I have paid £100 for an eglu without a run. Bargains are around, you just have to bide your time.

Good luck.