Lewis

X Factor

please could someone tell me what 'autotune' is. i heard them talking about it on Radio 1 this morning.

It's when computers are used to make something sound more harmonious :D . It's mainly used to change the pitch.

For example....

is Charlie Bit My Finger normal... and

is Charlie bit my finger Autotuned. ( :lol: )

(Sorry, unable so say wether or not comments will be clean, comments on both of these videos get added so qucikly that they will have changed by the time you watch this.)

This Wikipedia page will tell you more :D

Hope that helped :D .

Please could someone tell me what 'autotune' is. i heard them talking about it on Radio 1 this morning.

As LCL said, they put the vocal through a computer to make it sound pitch perfect ... but its just sounds obviously autotuned with the kind of autotune twang it puts on :roll:

If you listen to

'G and S' singing Don't Stop Believing ... they've put an autotune/vocoder on her line (and not his) to make her sound better. Can hear it particularly when she warbles.

I get it being used on recordings and things, but not for live singing auditions trying to find talent...

'

They all sounded slightly autotuned to me, especially the G and S girl, (like you said), the girl with a flower in her hair and the mercy woman.

Do the contestants know they are being auto tuned do you think? It can't be great for the morale if they know that they need support to sing well. Or maybe it has the opposite effect; they know already they are in with a chance?