Cinnamon

Delia's classic Christmas cake

I read with interest that this year Waitrose will be selling this cake in a sort of kit form,with the exact ingredients weighed out & ready to go (not the eggs,I suspect!) for £10.

To buy it all yourself would be about £26,although you would have leftovers.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me,as I always forget about leftover bits of fruit in bags until they have gone well past heir sell-by date :roll:

Its the cake I do every year & responds well to a good feeding of alcohol too 8):lol:

This is in the oven now :P

It was so simple to make. I was a bit concerned that the fruit soaked in brandy wouldn't be boozy enough for me :oops: , but was pleasantly surprised to find that it is very,very boozy indeed,& is a lovely chunky mix of fruits & cherries.

The house smells lovely :P

I bought mine yesterday but I think I'll bake it the last weekend in Nov (I was worried they may sell out of the packs if I left it until then to buy). I would use up pretty much all the ingredients if I tried but I liked the idea of mixing it up with my boys and not having to weigh out everything.

I need to decide what Christmas pudding recipe I'm going to try this year. I liked Nigella's but she really does use some obscure ingredients :shock: I was very bad :oops: and bought some pudding charms to put in this year - even though we always get to the end of Christmas dinner and can't fit in pudding. :lol:

Finally got hold of one ... well two :D

I phoned my nearest Waitrose today, they had previously said they'd have a delivery today, yes we have loads but we can't put any by - So I went straight away. 20 mins later at the shop - none all gone. Behind the counter were 6 with peoples names on :evil: I was not happy. I expressed my frustrations to the lady behind the counter who went off to see when another delivery was due - she returned Saying that JL Bluewater had just had a delivery and they had put one by for me and here’s a £10 voucher for my inconvenience - :clap::D:clap:

Off to Bluewater - they did have a few but there was a crowd around the display, they started to disappear very quickly.

If you really want one then I'd recommend phone and asking them to put one by - at both the shops I visited there were operating this option

It came out fantastic. A real no fail cake. I did grease & line my tin properly & tied extra paper round the outside of the tin. I didn't have any brandy in - so I fed mine with Tawny Port. Robbed it out of hubby's bottle. :shh::lol:

Smells divine.

I was out at my parents last night & it was really killing hubby that he couldn't have a piece.

I think I will only decorate the top this year - sometimes it's too much all over, will see nearer the time. We are taking it away with us.

Emma.x

I have made mine from scratch as usual because these days I have to make a one and a half times mixture to feed my Christmas cake loving family. I had forgotten how hard it is to mix that much I had to stand the bowl on the floor kneel down and stir it that way in the end. having a big enough bowl is a problem too, I used the bowl from my Kenwood Major.