skye Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 I'm laughing even as I ask the question but... Do you think your hens are stupid or clever? The woman across the road from us told me the other day she used to keep chickens, 'nice but my goodness they weren't half stupid'! I was quite taken aback actually, I know it's the cliche... but... is it just me that doesn't agree?! I think mine are quite bright actually! Ok yes they are of a nervous disposition and might do irrational things out of panic when they are scared by something, but I think the way they relate to each other and us, the way they work out how to escape from areas we put them in , how sharp and observant they are... I could go on let me know what you all think! skye x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Trougher Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 I think the problem is that we try to measure the intelligence of animals and birds by human standards. Since having my three ex-batts I have been quite astonished at how quickly they learn things, considering they have been locked in a shed all their lives, and I personally think they are quite intelligent, not at all stupid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
madchickenlady Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Some are. The silkies I had were definitely dim I have one pekin who is scarily bright and if she had opposable thumbs I think she might make a bid for world domination. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Yes, I think mine are quite intelligent, some more than others. Gwennie is really quite clever at working out how to escape the Omlet netting and get into the compost heap. The others aren't quite in her league, but can still work things out. But our Frizzle Silkie, Gwladys, isn't the brightest. However even she has worked out how to avoid capture/being put back in the WIR in the evening! She is the only one not interested in mealworms. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 No, not at all . I actually posted the other day about my clever little girl, Beth, who laid her first egg in the eglu despite never having slept in it or even visited it to my knowledge! One of my girls also regularly gets over the omlet netting to the green, green grass on the other side . Never caught her at it so no idea how she's doing it . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Chickens are definately not stupid. I have an old coat that I put on when spraying hens with anti peck spray. After the first time they got wise and won't come anywhere near me if they can see the coat. i was watching Lily the other day working out how to get over the top of the Omlet netting which she eventually did and flapped over it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 I don't think they are stupid at all ( unless you count little Snowy who is a real 'bimbo'). They know that if I have marigolds on and they are let out of the run then it's cleaning out time, if they are still in the run then its time for a quick medical and time to be scared. They also know the sound of the corn rattling in the jam jar and come running.They also know that if I'm eating a banana in the garden to wait by my feet and make me feel really guilty.........then I will finally cave in and hand over the remains of the banana ( then banana rugby ensues). They can also tell when I am in the kitchen and hover round the back door just in case there's some yummy morsel hurled out the back door. Little Snowy however is really really dim............she must have been having a nap under a bush when brains were handed out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 I agree that intellegence seems to vary from bird to bird but I wouldn't say that any of my chickens are dim. One little Silkie, Dolly, has so much hair over her face that she can't seem to see all that well and that makes her seem a bit dozy, but I think that is just all her hair. The others are very alert indeed especially where food is concerned. Like lightening they worked out that to be under the doves' feed station first thing in the morning is a good place to be. They are also quick to avoid things they don't like and are real artful dodgers when it comes to grabbing corn then escaping back out of their pen and running out of reach round the back at shut up time. They can also tell which humans are their friends and who is a stranger. Visitors are cause for much crowing. My aunt also has an ex-bat with no feathers on her bum. Every time there is a visitor in the sitting room she sits up on the window ledge and squishes her bum up against the glass. Now there's a bright chookie! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Wouldn't say stupid, although sometimes they lack some common sense. Like my Beryl, who could be in the run (with the door open) but still paces up against the wire walls of the WIR when she sees Blanche with a 'precious thing' on the other side. Special. Is it ANH who posted a movie or pic of her girls pacing along the omlet netting despite it not being closed off? Funny things. My girls must be pretty smart as since I've had them they've trained me to bring them treats everyday! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 This the one ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Bless 'em, yeah that's the one! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennydavies Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Personally I think our chickens are on an intelligence level with our dogs. They respond to food, being let out to roam in the garden, they have a built-in time-clock and they come when called for treats. I think they realise they have personal names and they listen to whats being said to them. They are skittish when scared just like our dogs and love a cuddle just like they do. If I go anywhere near the kitchen at their mealtime, I know I have several pairs of eyes on me from the hen-run and the dog beds. They all know when it's time to get up and time to go to bed, they love the sunshine and tuck themselves away when it's raining (I have had to "wheelbarrow" dogs into garden for a wee on several occasions) I would never discredit any of our girls by saying they are not intelligent, I think considering the size of their brains......and after all, they have got us all wrapped round their little wings haven't they..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
skye Posted November 5, 2010 Author Share Posted November 5, 2010 Ha ha HA! Yes I remember that one ANH! Quality. skye x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Some are. The silkies I had were definitely dim I have one pekin who is scarily bright and if she had opposable thumbs I think she might make a bid for world domination. I do think that pekins and brahmas are scarily clever. My cochins on the other hand are dim beyond belief...but very beautiful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 My Black Rock is the cleverest but my Speckledy is so flipping stupid it is infuriating. Overall though, I am surprised by the amount of intelligence they seem to have. I wonder what the most intelligent breed is and what the dimmest breed is? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted November 5, 2010 Share Posted November 5, 2010 Just like humans really, some are quite clever whilst others are thicker than two short planks. It's clear to me that the clever ones are the ones who actually think and use their brains to get what they want. The majority just haven't a clue. Egeltine is a great thinker, the Brahmas are fantastically astute but the Polands have an IQ of minus 24. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Dabooka Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 I have three ex batts and I think they are pretty clever. Ethel has worked out if she pecks the dog he moves away. But the best thing they have learnt is if they knock on the cat flap door we will come out and fill up there dinner bowl. The first time they did this I roll about the floor laughing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
green Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 But the best thing they have learnt is if they knock on the cat flap door we will come out and fill up there dinner bowl. Clever chooks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 My Maisie is definitely smarter than the average chicken . (This is an old thread but a good one .) The Great Escape starring Maisie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
green Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 The Great Escape starring Maisie Priceless! Thanks for sharing! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jill the potter Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Never seen that before ANH Brill !!!! I have to agree there are varying degrees of stupidness!! My two newbies were so obviously at the back of the queue!! Bu you have to admit that they are very clever with the one thing they all have in common - Their love of FOOD!!!! :lol: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Dabooka Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 My Maisie is definitely smarter than the average chicken . (This is an old thread but a good one .) The Great Escape starring Maisie That is fab!!! I saw Brenda take her first 'flight' today and I must say I was pretty proud Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocolatedog Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 We found Pepper 6 ft up a Rowan tree - turns out she hopped onto a low wall, then onto a higher fence and then finally flew the couple of feet up from there into the tree.........hmmmm. Foxed here by stretching netting along the wall/fence so she can't land on the lower bit to then make the next step - and so far it has worked...... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 No - I think they are clever!! Especially where food is concerned! And Chirp goes potty when she sees my daughter and that can be after weeks at a time atm as she is at Uni now! She certainly recognises her! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 It definitely depends on the individual chicken. Today I let the girls out of their netted area to free range on the lawn. After a while Bella started making the egg-laying squawk. Some time later, after much pacing up and down the netting trying to work out how to get back in I showed her where the entrance was so she could get back to the coop to lay her egg - she didn't go back in so I assumed I had mis read the signals. Another 45 mins or so later, she was still at it (bear in mind I don't have miles of netting so really shouldn't be difficult), so I tried to pick her up to put her into the coop. Well she wasn't having any of it, normally she crouches if you so much as look at her but today she was off like a rocket across the garden Thankfully she ran back into the pen by accident, found the coop and within 5 mins we were presented with a steaming hot egg Of course I look out the window half an hour later and find her pacing up and down the netting trying to get out again Now my Dorothy is a different story altogether - she's the brains of the operation for sure! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...