ZoeBunny

Breed?

Any thoughts on Light Sussex?? Or should I get 3 different breeds? I know Warrens are fab layers, but those are the same as those that come 'visiting' from next door and wouldn't want my girls to get mixed up with theirs :roll: Really need kiddie friendly ones and not ones likely to be easily startled/scared by a bouncy dalmatian!

As you have children, I would suggest getting 3 different breeds as this would mean that they would look different for the children. I would suggest not getting a breed known for flightiness.

I haven't had a light Sussex personally but they are meant to be a nice breed, although they are a pure breed. It may be worth getting a few hybrids.

If you google Cotswolds chickens or Newland Grange Poultry they have some lovely hybrids for sale with pictures to give you an idea on different breeds :D

Being in North Notts I would guess that both are a fair drive from you, but they are hybrid suppliers that I know supply really lovely, healthy girls :D

Agree with Claret - I couldn't believe how much heavier my Light Sussex Hybrid is compared to my warren and PP. Understand now why they are meant to be good for eggs and meat... Alhough I can't see this one being eaten!

Know why you are saying no to Warrens - but they are lovely friendly and seemingly tolerant birds - ours have always been quite daft! And would recomend them.

We chose Light Sussex Bantams for a number of reasons:

- They are so friendly (and light!) - have never pecked us even when our handling has been less than professional. Brilliant for the kids.

- Pure breed - we were ever-so-slightly concerned about the idea of hybrid egg-laying machines! However, admit that we've come round on that one.

- They are hardy - a bit less susceptible to the cold, etc.

- Garden damage - none to speak of! Amazed!

Everything you read says that LS are a good starter chicken. We'd confirm that as truth.

I think you can get a 'Light Sussex Utility' which is a hybrid that retains all the characteristics of LS, but lay more eggs than the Pure Breed.... We still think that one of ours is a LSU, as they look a little different.

columbine hybrids are nice birds too. 80% chance of a blue or green egg I've got a speckled Sussex thats as soft as a bottle of pop and loves to be picked up when she's not moulting Rusty my cream legbar is my most friendly also the smallest of the flock could have been a pirate's parrot in another live is prone to flying on to my shoulder when the treat tub is out

The most phlegmatic breed I have come across is the Orpington, confident, chilled out and friendly. They are very big birds, but you can get a bantam variety. I have a Light Sussex Hybrid. She is typical I think in being pretty relaxed about the world. As I understand it lots of the hybrids are chilled out (avoid the lighter ones like the Leghorns). We have a Rhode Rock (originally a Black Rock) who is confident, friendly and at one with her world. We also have a Barnavelder who bolts around in response to most things, as if someone is trying to cut her head off! Hopefully, she will settle down when she matures a little and starts to lay.

Light Sussex are very lovely birds, calm and friendly, the bantam version would be better for children to pick up

Any of the 'heavy' bantam breeds would be good, barnvelders, orpingtons and wyandottes are three other types

Probably the thing that has the most effect on how friendly a chook becomes is how much time you spend with them at the start

Thanks for all your helpful & informative replies :D

I've been doing a bit of research as to what breeders are in my area, well, within a 2hr drive, and one seems to have a nice variety of hybrids. I quite like the idea of the Bluebelle, Speckled Star & Skyline trio of girls... that way our little people would be able to tell the chickens (and their eggs) apart. Would this be a good combination???

I don't know what a Skyline is, but the other two should be great :)

Their website says "Skyline hybrid is a cross between Cream Legbar X Light Sussex X Rhode Island Red. Colours can vary between cream to deep tan with or without the legbar crest. They lay around 250 Sky Blue or Light Green eggs."

pmskl1.jpg

The Skyline has a high probability of laying blue/green eggs, but it's not certain. I have to say that they are the daftest hens I have ever handled. :lol: Must be an araucana throwback as all my araucanas have been like that, and none too keen on beign handled.

My RIR and banties have to be the friendliest birds I've ever had.

Is the skyline a bad choice then for being child-friendly?

They also do a Sussex Star (Light Sussex cross RIR) - would that be better? Or just a good old fashioned Warren? :think:

You might find when you get to the shop, especially if you take your children, that all your plans will go out of the window, as one little chook, of a breed you never thought of or considered, catches your eye - and you just know you cannot leave without it!

I know that's how we ended up with one of ours anyway... Or maybe that's just us :doh:

Good luck with the choosing though - sounds as though you are really doing your homework!! Oh, and don't forget the breeder you visit will also be able to offer you loads of advice (if they are any good!) so don't be afraid to ask them their views, as they will know their stock.

The Skyline has a high probability of laying blue/green eggs, but it's not certain. I have to say that they are the daftest hens I have ever handled. :lol: Must be an araucana throwback as all my araucanas have been like that, and none too keen on beign handled.

My RIR and banties have to be the friendliest birds I've ever had.

Is the skyline a bad choice then for being child-friendly?

They also do a Sussex Star (Light Sussex cross RIR) - would that be better? Or just a good old fashioned Warren? :think:

Not at all, they aren't evil, just plain daft and not inclined to be cuddly.

You might find when you get to the shop, especially if you take your children, that all your plans will go out of the window, as one little chook, of a breed you never thought of or considered, catches your eye - and you just know you cannot leave without it!

I know that's how we ended up with one of ours anyway... Or maybe that's just us :doh:

Good luck with the choosing though - sounds as though you are really doing your homework!! Oh, and don't forget the breeder you visit will also be able to offer you loads of advice (if they are any good!) so don't be afraid to ask them their views, as they will know their stock.

I know what you mean C&T... I've been into a pet shop before to buy some goldfish food and left with a kitten :roll:

Luckily this time my son is only 15mths so would only point and babble so hardly enough 'opinion' from him to sway my decision :lol: I guess I just want to make sure I make the right choice up front thats all.

Seeing is definitely believing where chooks are concerned. Before I got my first ones (only this May but seems a very long time ago now) I did loads of research looking through book after bood and the breed area on Omlet and driving everyone mad with my questions. Finally I decided it had to be Orpingtons and Wyandottes. What do I have? Silkies and Frizzles :lol:

I have 2 Columbines (another name for Skylines) both lay fabulous green eggs, but neither like a cuddle.

Although your combination sounds ideal for different types of girls and different eggs.

If you go for a skyline, choose a darker colour hen, as the darker they are, the more chance that they will lay green eggs aparently. (Not proved but true based on mine and my friends experiences :wink: )