mostin

Oscar is well & Flora is doing well too.

We got 2 Cats, brother and sister, in 2000. Sadly we lost the girl, Tilley 2 months ago :cry: .

Her brother Oscar was really clingy for about 3 weeks but then he seemed to come round. However, he's got really neurotic again now :( . Tilley was always the leader of the 2 and in new environments was always the first to explore and check things out for Oscar.

He follows me around all the time now :roll::roll::roll: , he's always been a really loving cat, but now it has turned into annoyingly clingy :wall::wall: . I can't sit down for a moment without him jumping on me and this morning when I came in from doing my chook chores he was up on the kitchen unit so he could watch me through the window :evil::evil: . Kitchen work-tops are completely out of bounds for puss cats in our house, and in 10 years I've never caught him up there before :shock::shock: .

I've mentioned to OH getting another cat, but he's really worried that Oscar will take the hump and leave.

I've only ever got cats after the death of my last cat, would a kitten really upset him? Should I get a docile female middle aged rescue cat? Or no cat at all?

Answers on a postcard please :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Guest

We had two and Sam died aged 17. Didi was very clingy for a few weeks, but I think it helped that we also had a dog. She took to sleeping with the dog ( a great big German Shepherd!) who became her best friend, and actually finally died peacefully aged 23, curled up on the dog's bed.

If you do get another, I'd be inclined to go for one slightly younger, but not a kitten. I think that might drive him crazy. But it may be he'll settle down. How about a big cuddly toy for him to cuddle up with?

Tricia

Well our cats are oldies and we got Florence a siamese nutcase (10 weeks) and really worried about what effect it would have. However, she has been a real comfort to our old siamese Harold and cuddles up with him all the time.

Then we thought she needed another nutter to play with so we got Pickens a black oriental kitten (12 weeks). What happened, did they make friends? NO! However Harold has another cuddly baby and he's doubly happy. My other two old moggies just ignore them. 4 monthsish on the babies play together but Harold still mothers them 8) So yes go for it. Your Oscar will either ignore the new one or have a new best cuddle mate :D

Sorry to hear you lost your Tilley.

I have morehens and morecats disease...so I might be a bit subjective. However, I have just added a kitten to my happy cat family. I have 2 adult cats of 2 years old. They were initially quite hostile to the new kitten but within about 3 weeks had settled down completely and she is now accepted. She loves the company and they play with her until they get bored and then they jump up on something high she cannot reach or go outside!

Getting a kitten has presented a few minor logistical issues to consider - nothing unsurpassable, just lightly inconvenient! For example, my adult cats crave kitten food...and the kitten craves adult cat food. I have to be constantly vigilent of food stealing missions. Also, as the kitten cannot go out she is confined to part of the house when I am not in so she cannot venture out of the cat flap.

My neightbours have several elderly cats and then got several kittens. Although the adults were a bit miffed to start with, they all stayed living there and now they get on fine.

I'd get another cat, as it sounds as if he is missing his sister. I'm not convinced that kittens are easier to adjust to, they are a lot of work (for you!) and can be quite annoying for an older cat. I'd be inclined to go for a docile older cat, don't think it has to be another female as long as it's a neutered male. Your local rescue place will probably be able to advise you which cats would be suitable to share with another.

Thanks for all the help and views so far :D . OH and I have had a good talk this evening, and I think we are drifting more and more in the direction of an adult rescue cat with a known temperament.

I just don't think I can keep Oscar away from kitten food!! and the thought of litter trays all over again is not fun :? , plus there are so many lovely adult cats who need a home and all the kittens get taken first usually.

OH is determined to have a little girlie in the house again :lol::lol::lol: , but I would be happy to have 2 big soft boys living together.

Good news you've decided to go for it :D . Never introduced an adult cat before.

Do you keep them seperate for 2 weeks then do the slow introduction with treats sprinkled round and a water pistol in your hand :lol:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Luckily for us, my mums cat has always come and stayed with us when they go on holidays, so we are hoping this will help as Oscar is sort of used to at least 1 other cat coming and going.

Been looking at this site already :wink: , check out the cat called Pretty , ...........awww

http://www.leedscatrescue.btik.com/CatsNeedingHomes

Awww - they all look gorgeous, but the fact that Pretty is used to other cats is a good sign.

I decided several years ago that I wouldn't ever have a kitten again, they are such fun and delightful but they grow into cats soon enough, and as you've said, adult cats are much harder to rehome.

I've introduced adult cats several times, and it's not dissimilar to the way you introduce chickens (although no grain and water pistol needed!) Keep them apart to begin with, let the new cat out to explore when the old cat is out of the house or shut in a room somewhere, and stroke them both with a glove or sock or similar, so you transfer their smell to each other, before you let them see each other. Claudette is the only cat I've never succeeded with, a year on and she still spits at Welly although the cold weather is drawing them both closer and closer to sources of heat (me!). She's got PTSD I think, most cats settle down quite quickly.

Well!!! what a day.................all good plans and all that :lol::lol::lol: . Things never go the way go think, do they :lol: .

We got to the foster home and I was immediately smitten with Pretty

Pretty.JPG

OH however seemed quite reticent :? , there was also a 6 month old called Smudgie who was crawling all over us :lol:

Smudgy_thumb.JPG

The older cats were beautiful but wouldn't come out to talk to us :cry::cry: . There was a massive tortie female called Foxie with a gorgeous face but she had to be dragged out from under a chest of drawers to meet us and soon shot back in

003.JPG

I would have loved to have taken Foxie........but we needed to make sure we were taking a confident cat to help with Oscar. Smudgie had been reserved as we drove over, so I thought .......yes!!! we can take Pretty, but OH wasn't up for it. He really didn't want a long haired cat, and she was sooooooooooo much longer haired than in the pictures, we were covered in hair after just visiting :lol::lol::lol: .

The lady there thought that another of the foster homes had a cat with a temperament that would just suit us....so off we trundled again................fingers crossed.

And meet..........................Flora :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Flora.jpg

She won us over in less than 2 seconds :lol::lol::lol: . she is only 6 months old.....a lot younger than we planned, but she is very outgoing and we think will be just what Oscar needs to bring him out of his slump.

If it stops snowing, the lady may be bringing her over to us this afternoon :shock::shock::dance::dance::dance: ,fingers crossed as I can't wait to expand my little family now :D .