AnnieP

I have a cube delivery date :O)

I looked for the emoticon but could only find the red, green and purple ones. Annie posted them originally she would be the person to ask

Has no-one noticed your signature yet Bron? :lol:

Jenny - I've sent you a PM - it will either pop-up on your screen or will be in your Inbox, if you click on the 'You have 1 message' tab along the top.

Have you got your cube Bron?

Is that what we're supposed to notice?

No - Bron has ordered her purple Cube - and added the emoticon to her sig. :lol: She doesn't appear on the list - but that list is now defunct as the delivery schedule has changed :?

I'm hoping that the cube is still on for Wed 16th May , but as I haven't heard from Omlet to the contrary , I'm assuming no news is good news! ( I ordered a green one with 5 hens) One thing that's worrying me is the width of the cube & how to close the door at night i.e. how much acess you need to that other side ,as we have a run already built ( under protest from husband & took him 8 months to do it!) and it may be difficult to alter. Can anyone who has seen a cube let me know about the "door closing" side ?

I'm also guessing that the handle only comes out as far as the skirt anyway which you would have to allow for. For those who're short on space round the side if you can get to the end to do the trays and have allowed for the skirt you should be able to just about manage the handle as well. It would be a squeeze to look in the port though with only the skirt width gap away from something. (I hope that makes sense)

Here's a picture from the Omlet site of the handle in operation, in case that helps:

eglu_cube_green_door_large.gif

If you had the skirt up against the fence on the handle side, you would be able to stand behind the Eglu and open it quite easily, I think: but stretching across from the other side would be very hard and not advisable: it is quite high and much too far to lean; and then you would have to pull away from you even further again. Remember that you have to work with this handle twice a day, every day of the year (and so do the people who look after your chickens when you are away), so you have to make it easy.

It may be that the lid is so easy to remove that you could ram the egg-port up against the fence instead and get the eggs by raising the lid from the back, as per this Omlet picture:

eglu_cube_green_inside_large.gif

But the back has been taken off there: I wouldn't want to do that every day. I will wait until Thursday and play with it before I put the hens in.

It doesn't look to me as though hens could open that door on their own, which may be a drawback for those who don't lock the hens in at night.

Thansk you explained that much better than I did.

It doesn't look to me as though hens could open that door on their own, which may be a drawback for those who don't lock the hens in at night.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess if it gets too draughty they can always hide in the nestboxes

Oh no Kate :(

At least you won't have chooks that will be homeless :wink:

I hope there are no more delays, we've already had to wait an extra week