redhotchick

London Travel Plan Help Please!

Hi All,

I've got tickets for the Theatre in London this weekend but it's too late to book reasonably priced trains for 4 people from Manchester to London. My sister has offered to drive there and back in the day.

Can anyone suggest a good spot to drive to where parking and tube connections will be easily accessible.

I'm thinking Watford at the moment, but I don't know the area at all.

Any ideas?

Watford may still cost quite a bit as you'd need a train ticket on top of your tube. what theatre and where abouts? It may be cheaper and less hassle to drive all the way and park by the theatre. Some have free parking on sundays, on saturdays it may be after 6.

Another option is to drive to Osterley or Hounslow and park at the tube station and travel in. Both stations have a decent amount of parking and it's cheap and easy to travel in to central London from there.

If you didn't want to do the journey there and back in the same day, you could pick up a Travelodge room from £30 - anywhere like Heston, Slough, Feltham or Heathrow would be close enough to the tube station (if you're not worried about salubrious surroundings and just want a place to lay your head!).

Thanks for replies. I've found a tube map with an index that indicates which stations have parking. I'll show it to my sister tomorrow. Osterley could be an option. I've found some more reasonably priced trains too...Train would be my preferred option. I'm not a good car passenger these days.

The coach takes too long - 5 hours 20 mins!! not practical for a day trip.

Travel Lodge maybe....

Hi

Harrow (bottom of M1 ) is on underground

there is minimal parking around this area for underground.(but check the station for car park)

the best car park is High Barnet but it would mean cutting across(about 15-25 mins max) but there is a good car park about £3.50 to park I always get parked here. If you use overground it will cost you. underground is cheaper..

Around the A406 is a night mare for parking on underground lots of permit parking in streets too.

Head for High Barnet.(off A1)

Good luck Donald

I think it would be a good idea to research parking in central London. There is a huge car park under Hyde Park off Park Lane, & there is a nice one near St James Palace( not sure about times for this one but it's perfect for Theatres)

The tubes in NW London are expensive & can be pretty unreliable at the weekend. If you decide to park at a Metropolitan, Piccadilly or Central line station, double check on the TFL site for planned engineering works because that seems to happen more often than not & you'll be stuck on replacement buses.The central line is a quick direct line into London but you really should check for works. Also check times of last tubes as you really don't want to spoil your night trying to get back on the night bus.

Watford isn't easy to get into London, Harrow as suggested is good and I'm sure it has a long stay car park in theory but I remember my son's car getting locked in it so best to double check that one.

I must admit that I'm biaised because I prefer to drive into London rather than use the tube.

Hi

Work live around London and do go up the M1 a lot.

I dont find the underground tickets expensive at all. Meter parking in London can be £3.50 -£4 an hour and max 4 hours(you will be clampled etc)

NCP can cost £30 a day in central London but is very secure etc.

You could park overnight in a side street near ie High Barnet or even easier Woodside station there is loads of street parking near woodside FREE,(its just down the road from High Barnet 5 mins) get a tube and stay overnight at ie a premier inn in London have a look on Late rooms web site for accomodation.

Also be aware if you drift off into congestion zone..sorry to sound negative but I train it and drive into London only if I have to(Charing Cross Hospital today).

Seriously underground is not expensive, go for that option and stay if need be, anyhow enjoy your visit London does have a great buzz

Donald

If you're driving at the weekend the congestion charge does not operate so you don't have to worry about straying into the zones.

Many West End theatres have a deal that offers 50% off car parking charges. All you need to do is present your theatre tickets at the time of parking or paying to get the deal. There are more details at http://www.westminster.gov.uk/carparks/theatreland.cfm and a list of theatres that participate at http://www.westminster.gov.uk/carparks.theatres.cfm. We've used this scheme many times and it works out cheaper and more convenient for the two of us to drive and park at 50% discount than to train and tube it, especially with the increasing engineering works at weekends.

Enjoy your show.

Hi! Just caught up with all the replies. Thank you! Some things to think about there.

I loved Wicked! The singing, costumes and set design were fantastic.

We went to Prezzo to eat, very close to the Apollo Victoria Theatre and used a discount voucher (Buy one main course get one for £1). We had a relaxed lunch which worked out very well.

My sister was keen to drive. I sat in the back. There were 4 of us, so a comfortably full car worked out economical.

We did park at Watford Junction. We arrived at 11.30am and it was £5 until 4am the next day.

The real revelation was that the train fair to London "including a one day travel card" was only £7.25 each!

We had to get an official at each tube station to buzz us through the gate, which was fine.

The ticket allowed us travel from Watford to London Euston and then onto the underground, and then from London Euston back to Watford.

Driving to Watford was straightforward. I do like to get the intercity train to London, and would probably be my preference, but this did work out well for us on this occasion.

Glad you enjoyed Wicked - did you enjoy Fiyero?! :wink:

Not that I like him or anything! :lol::oops:

I was going to suggest you look at Piccadilly backpackers as for 'last minute' type stays reasonable - from £12 PP per night (altho' 'hostel' type accommodation - see website) but had just noticed you've already been!! :doh::lol:

I usually drive to Gidea Park, park about five to ten minutes away from the station on one of the side roads as they are free (or at least they were six months ago when I last did this) and catch the tube into London.

My friend drives to the O2, pays £5 for parking (this has to be booked in advance) then gets the Thames boat down into London.

I know that this is not relevant now but thought it might be useful to others.