Martin B

Organic Malarky

Many of us, are growing are own fruit and veg this year, but how many of you are growing organically? And how many of you are satisfied with just knowing where your veg has come from and that it tastes better than the shop bought stuff?

I don't see the benefit of spending extra money on organic fertilizers, slug pellets, compost, peat etc.

It just simply is not affordable!

Anybody else feel this way?

Martin

Agree - I've gravitated towards buying more organic food over the last few years, and now I'm starting to grown my own veg again (small-scale) I don't want to add anything unnecessary to them.

Having chickens also makes you think twice - I don't add ANYTHING except home-made compost and water to the garden, unless I am sure it's organic and safe, because at some point my girls are likely to peck it up and eat it (despite my best efforts) :roll:

Really recommend the HDRA Organic Gardening Encyclopaedia, it's very good.

It kind of depends on your definition....

I buy bog standard compost if I need it.

I usually buy organic seeds but hey, 29p a packet in lidols is just too good to miss :lol:

and the horse manure and grass clippings are kindly given to me free of charge and I wouldn't dream of interogating my 'benefactors' :wink:

So, officially, I'm not an organic grower.

However, I never use slug pellets or any other commercial pesticde or chemicals.

I actively promote wildlife on my plot (which I happily share with wild birds, a family of foxes and various other beasties.)

and I look to the HDRA for my methods of cultivation.

And I strive to make one small corner of the world a better place!

So I would say that I grow according to organic principles.

(except that sounds so smug and pretentious so I actually normally just say "yeah, I'm organic" :wink: )

re slug pellets; it's more important to consider the damage they inflict. If you wouldn't want your chickens and quail to eat them, or to eat the still poisonous dead slugs....don't inflict them on wildbirds, hedgehogs etc.

People look for pesticides labelled organic in the hope that the HDRA wouldn't promote something dangerous to pretty, fluffy animals. Truth is though....most methods have unwanted side affects. Even slug pubs kill beneficial beetles as well :roll:

I agree with Olly and Tara.

I don't always buy Organic seeds and I also buy ordinary compost at times - but all the produce is grown organically .

"Ooops, word censored!"ody is perfect all of the time - we can all only do what our pockets allow at times.

You've got a lot to do right at the beginning of the season Martin - just do which bits you can, and those things you feel comfortable with. Over the years, as you make your own compost etc. you will find things change to a routine you are happy with.

....and don't use the word malarkey! - or I'll have my organic sweetcorn seedlings back! :lol:

We don't have a large enough garden to grow our own veg unfortunately, but our view on buying organic/not organic is that we use local suppliers, not the supermarket. If there is a selection of local organic produce at the farm shop, we buy it. If the organic veg is from Spain, Italy etc, we don't buy it and will opt to buy local, pesticide free veg and fruit.

I'm envious of all of you who are growing your own veg - it must give you a feeling of great satisfaction. Me? I'm the "herbs in pots" queen!!!!...with a little chicken poo compost added in for extra flavour. :wink:

If you position your slug pubs so that the rim is above the soil level, slugs will still make a beeline for the booze but the beneficial beetles will stand a fighting chance of not falling in and drowning. Alternatively, bait them with bran or oatmeal which is supposed to kill slugs as well.

It's called 'Best Practice' Martin - when you grow as organic as you can, avoid pesticides etc, but don't necessarily meet the guidelines for being certified organic. It's good enough for me :D

And me! :lol:

Whatever you grow will be fresh and with air inches instead of air miles, and seasonal too boot so you are on the winning side, even if you do resort to the odd slug pellet now and then.

I try to be as 'organic' as possible, but buy normal compost and topsoil etc. The certified organic products are expensive, so i tend to just get a few bits and pieces i.e seeds from an organic source.

This year I have used the companion planting process in order to use beneficial insects etc to help with pests.

Planting sweetcorn with beans, cucumber and pumpkin, tomatoes with marigolds and basil, strawberries with lettuce and spinach, carrots with onions etc.

See the book i've recommended in the books sticky.

I sat down with a plan of my finished beds (still so proud of what i've built

:roll::wink: ) and planned everything with sketches and coloured pencils (sad but i love colouring :oops::lol: ) I used to just pop seeds everywhere but this year i've done it properly with rows etc.

Some things will do well and others won't but that is part of the fun. It all tastes good and that is the point of it. You are doing your bit, having a good time along the way! :D:D

:roll::wink: ) and planned everything with sketches and coloured pencils (sad but i love colouring :oops::lol: ) I used to just pop seeds everywhere but this year i've done it properly with rows etc.

I think you need to scan that & let us all see it,Christian :P

Some things will do well and others won't but that is part of the fun. It all tastes good and that is the point of it. You are doing your bit, having a good time along the way! :D:D

Is it as beautiful as this? click here

Did you colour inside the lines Christian? :wink:

Yes! My tongue was sticking out 'cos i was concentrating so hard!

I think you need to scan that & let us all see it,Christian :P

i don't have a scanner unfortunately!

Just need to draw out the winter plan now, so we have veggies all winter! More colouring Yippee! :D:D:lol:

Egluntine, my drawing isn't quite as good as that one!

Just need to draw out the winter plan now, so we have veggies all winter! More colouring Yippee! :D:D:lol:

Oooh, what are people going to grow over the winter? (Maybe I should restart this thread later in the year, it is only May, I know!) It's just that I've only ever grown summer veg, I'd love some inspiration for what to put in for the winter.