newcountrygirl

Ziggy the escapologist Border terrier

!bee!

I am at the end of my tether with our Border Terrier. She has just turned two and in most other ways she is a very good dog but... we recently moved to a country cottage which has a large garden and paddock. There is fencing all around it but she keeps managing to get out. She doesnt do it if we are in the same part of the garden - but the minute you go into the shed to get something she's off. My poor hubby has spent hours going round trying to eradicate all the gaps. We've tried watching her from round the corner of the shed but its as if she knows and she just stands there looking innocent. She apparently runs like mad to a gap in the gardens three doors up then runs back down to the front gate waiting to be let in.

The other thing is she is really not keen on people going past the front gate. If anyone walks past she goes into a frenzy of barking and tears around the garden until they've gone as if to say "how dare you" If someone comes to the door she barks but the minute the door is opened she just wags her tail like mad. I suppose you could say she was a good guard dog in a way. I think she gets upset cos a neighbour a few doors away insists on walking his dog past the gate and then stands just by the hedge. He can hear Ziggy going mad but just stands there unless he sees me then he scuttles away - its as if he's teasing her on purpose. In a way I can see that she isn't used to meeting other dogs much as since we moved to the country we dont really meet many people if we go for a walk cos we are about a mile and a half from the village. She never used to be like this where we lived before. Sorry for the rant -

Have you tried using a spray/ puffer collar on her? You can activate it when she runs to the fence to escape or when she starts any aggressive behaviours. It just brings their attention back to you. Some of the newer ones have a warning beep before the spray so that you actually use the spray less.

Haven't heard of that kind of collar before. I'll have a look for it. Thanks :)

You can also get one with a remote control so that you're in control. On the reviews I've read the dog learns very quickly. We have an anti bark collar we use at night (my GSD is a night time barker, even a leaf floating past the window will set her off :roll: ) and she now doesn't even make it go off - she knows when the collar is on she must be quiet. :D

Hi Raina - glad my Ziggy is not the only one. Does you Border sing? Everybody laughs at me when i tell them - but she does - I sing to her (I am a musician) and she puts her head back and joins in. :)

All the time lol

we did have a border X that was the same.

My uncles border was like it too :lol:

It sounds as if a running chain may be the answer to keep your terrier in. We had to use one years ago for a large dog that could escape from anywhere. At the time we blamed it on the Colditz series on television. She did learn to stay in the garden eventually but when on the running chain she enjoyed hiding behind a bush them appearing as people came into the garden. Scary, as she was an Irish woofhound, german shepard cross. Hope you sort out your issues soon. Luckily, to date we haven't had a barking problem.

My 2 borders bark if someone walks past our house on the other side of the road, Ted actually starts with a howl - very alarming in the middle of the night :lol: Since I have put up omlet netting he spends a lot of time with his head and shoulders stuck in it - maybe use some Knowle Netting in weak areas ?

How are you getting on?

I'm afraid that Border Terriers can be a bit vocal and need it training out of them. I have used one of the puffer collars that moochoo describes - to stop Ruby scabbing rubbish food from pavements and making herself sick in the process :roll: it's not at all harsh, has a remote control and cured the habit very quickly. :D The one I have is a Spray Commander.

Thanks for all the tips. We have started going to 1to1 training with her. The trainer is brilliant with her and she really enjoys going. When she's at the training she does everything he tells her first time and the same with us. When she's at home she is trying really hard and has improved quite a bit. We haven't got onto the agression to other dogs yet as we have been doing her lead training and recall. We shall be starting it soon though.

On a lighter note - we recently bought a Trike (we are bikers). We have bought Ziggy a harness and a pair of Doggles. Today she sat on the trike with the engine going - posing in her Doggles. Hopefully if we get some good weather she will be going for a ride.