coco Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 i have just bought some Herban and was wondering what other people think of it. I was hoping it might perk ex batt Lily up a bit as she has been up and down for the last two or so. there is nothing obvously wrong with her so I'm thinking it might just be age. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Hi, yes I have been using Herban for some time and would definitely recommend it. My girls have thrived on it, and I hope that it will give Lily a bit of a boost too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Me too. I've used it for a couple of years whenever there are any runny droppings and also for cocci prevention with chicks (on top of medicated chick crumb). In the past year I've used it to treat cocci in my LF and have used the maintenance dose ever since with them. I wouldn't be without it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Not herban but another oregano product and that definately helped mine. Reminds me I need to start using it again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 i was going to post about herban, as my chook currently being wormed has runny droppings but the vet can't find anything wrong with her. I am going to order some of this Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 It's one of the things I use in rotation for my girls but can't say whether it has done anything or not. They all look good Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
megalin Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Yes I tried it for Myco to no avail but cleared up some runny droppings a treat. I think it's good as long as you have no major problems. And it smells lovely! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 It's one of the things I use in rotation for my girls but can't say whether it has done anything or not. They all look good Me too, but be aware that if any symptoms continue or your hen looks sick, that you should take her to the vet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 Yes I tried it for Myco to no avail but cleared up some runny droppings a treat.I think it's good as long as you have no major problems. And it smells lovely! Yes it's great for digestive problems and as a general boost to the system. For the fist sign of sniffles I use Respite, but myco would need antibiotics to sort it out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 It's not a pick me-up or a tonic but an antiseptic and microbial and bacterial killer, is that right? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 That's right Karen. Mine eat the wild oregano in the garden anyway, so I guess that they get enough. It smells quite strongly so some chooks don't like it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 Good grief, I've just googled it and read some of the claims! "Herban Poultry Tonic is a concentrated blend of herbal and essential oils (including Oregano Oil). Effective Organic alternative to Emtryl or other antibiotics. Herban is an oregano extraction; a proven antiseptic and microbial and bacterial killer. Suitable for all poultry and game birds to combat most diseases including Avian Flu, Blackhead, Coccidiosis, mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, salmonella, e-coli etc." I can vouch for its anti-cocci benefits but fortunately haven't had to use it to combat Avian Flu!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 MMM, they are making some pretty steep claims there Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 i was going to post about herban, as my chook currently being wormed has runny droppings but the vet can't find anything wrong with her. I am going to order some of this have looked at her poops this morning, as last day of worming they seem to be getting back to normal and is great in her self, but think i will still get some anyway Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 It wouldn't do any harm, but be aware that it's nothing more than a herbal anti-bacterial. Your hen probably just had some worms that needed to be expelled. I;d just treat them all to a good quality poultry tonic in their water. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 It wouldn't do any harm, but be aware that it's nothing more than a herbal anti-bacterial. Your hen probably just had some worms that needed to be expelled. I;d just treat them all to a good quality poultry tonic in their water. i was wandering if it had anything to do with her impacted crop problem that she has just recovered from her op and is doing great i am giving them a tonic in thier water now could i still give the herban aswell or would it be too much of a overload? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 I'd give one or the other TBH, or alternate the days that you give them. Perhaps do a week on Herban and then go back to Life-Guard. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 I'd give one or the other TBH, or alternate the days that you give them. Perhaps do a week on Herban and then go back to Life-Guard. Ok thanks claret Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 I'd say one or the other. If they're eating a good quality poultry ration with minimal treats, they shouldn't need a regular tonic. I only use Lifeguard occasionally (moulting, broody, intros etc) to add extra vitamins and minerals to their diet. Herban is different to a tonic, but I do like its natural immune-boosting properties so I wouldn't hesitate to use it at any time of year. My Big Gals are on it permanently to prevent another cocci outbreak and I use it to prevent cocci in my chicks and growers. Edited: sorry, cross posted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 Good grief, I've just googled it and read some of the claims! "Herban Poultry Tonic is a concentrated blend of herbal and essential oils (including Oregano Oil). Effective Organic alternative to Emtryl or other antibiotics. Herban is an oregano extraction; a proven antiseptic and microbial and bacterial killer. Suitable for all poultry and game birds to combat most diseases including Avian Flu, Blackhead, Coccidiosis, mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, salmonella, e-coli etc." I can vouch for its anti-cocci benefits but fortunately haven't had to use it to combat Avian Flu!! Yikes Quite some claims, I don't know where you found this quote Jools but thankfully the website does not make such claims (at least I couldn't find any). Herbal supplements like this cannot claim to cure disease unless they are registered as a medicine by the VMD after going through the necessary testing. It does however look like a good all round tonic for laying birds Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 It was on the Flytes of Fancy website - they're usually pretty reliable Link thingy here I was glad to read this last year - it means that manufacturers of alternative remedies will have to substantiate their claims - good news for those of us that use them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 ..ah, they may need to update their wording then. It was probably posted a while ago when claim like that were allowed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...