Cinnamon

Japanese quake & tsunami

Really :shock: ? That's terrible, how can they live with themselves, taking advantage like that :evil: .

Quite.

I've emailed this to them. http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=568506782

He has driven through the night to Kyoto to his wife's parents' house. He says that he will have to be up to move his car as the lovely police in Japan will come out tonight and put chalk marks at the tyres of the car, parked outside in the road, and if it hasn't moved in eight hours, they will ticket it and he will get a charming bill for £500. Says it all really.

If the reports in the papers are anything to go by, the 200 or so workers left in the nuclear plant which has suffered explosions are almost certainly going to suffer terrible, probably fatal, health problems because of the radiation they have been subjected to so far. Older workers have apparantly stayed to man the site, giving the younger ones a chance to live, and raise families.

Such self sacrifice :(

police in Japan will come out tonight and put chalk marks at the tyres of the car, parked outside in the road, and if it hasn't moved in eight hours, they will ticket it and he will get a charming bill for £500.

It's not heartless. People have very different ways of coping with disasters and for some trying to continue as normal with all the petty rules is their coping mechanism, there will be cultural differences as well that would make this more likely in Japan.

I was struck by my friends email when she mentioned hoping things would get back to normal soon. We know they won't but many Japanese living in Japan not caught up in this will just be hoping it will soon be behind them.

If the reports in the papers are anything to go by, the 200 or so workers left in the nuclear plant which has suffered explosions are almost certainly going to suffer terrible, probably fatal, health problems because of the radiation they have been subjected to so far. Older workers have apparantly stayed to man the site, giving the younger ones a chance to live, and raise families.

Such self sacrifice :(

I couldn't believe that when I read it :(

our school is having a non-uniform day tomorrow in aid of Japan, minimum donation £1 per student. we have already ordered 2 shelterboxes (tent and provisions for a family for 4 weeks). our dep head is married to a Japanese lady, and her family (including elderly mum) are all still there - west of Tokyo, but even there things are bad with food shortages etc.

he says "the Japanese are so tough, they will come through this" - which is true, but they so need our help as well.