Cinnamon

Japanese quake & tsunami

I tried to log on to O this morning at 6am but couldn't get on for some reason to say that I've had an email from Japan - they are all okay thankfully. Relief all round. Thank you all for your best wishes - much appreciated. :D

Just had another email. Apparently the nuclear plant has exploded. He may well buy flight tickets to Scotland now and get out of it with his family. Very scary indeed.

The news just keeps getting worse :shock:

I have a friend in Tokyo that I wasn't too worried about as Tokyo wasn't badly affected by the quake but now with the almost certainty of nuclear meltdown... (I'm hoping to hear from her soon but it's a new email address and her handwriting is hard to read so I'm not sure I got it right I'll have to send a letter.)

As a disaster planner this is one that I just can't think what they can do - you can't evacuate a whole country of people.

It just gets worse and worse, doesn't it?

I can sense something brewing which is far beyond the 3 mile Island event. We just don't have the experience to manage a disaster of this scale. I feel so sorry for them; they have planned and drilled for disaster recovery in the event of an earthquake, but to have that coupled with the tsunami and now complete nuclear meltdown.... the whole situation is beyond imagining. As Phil said to me at the weekend... 'if they made a film out of this people would pour scorn on it as unrealistic'.

What struck me was that all the footage of the tsunami at the beginning had hardly any people in it (for obvious, tragic reasons). Now the human stories are emerging, it's just so heartwrenching and sad :( .

Two positive stories amongst all the devastation were the 60 year old gentleman rescued 15km out to sea and the three elderly people rescued from inside a car which had been buried under debris. They had been there for 20 hours but are OK.

I was just looking at that in the paper Claret - and like you I am stunned by the power of nature & I feel hollow with grief for the people.

I had hoped that there were few people around in the Tsunami footage because of the warning sirens. I did hear today that the sirens saved many lives.

That's exactly what I said to my boys when we watched the news report after dinner tonight. ES was talking about how its taken America to sort out the mess after Katrina but I said that if anyone can sort it out it will be the Japanese. Its still such a shock watching any of the reports, the sheer scale of it all.

The Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant's warning level has been upgraded to a 5/7, which makes it as bad as the Three Mile Island incident. But, they are hoping to restore power to the plant soon, so hopefully the cooling systems will work.

Isn't it heartening to learn that the corporations who run the travel businesses in Japan are charging 700,000 yen, almost 4 times the usual price, for a ticket to London. So, my BIL will have to fork out £12,000 for him, his wife and young son to get home.

Nice that human beings are reaching out to help in an international crisis.