Lesley

Cake Stands

Well the standy bits have arrived

When to 4 charity shops to get some plates - not a great selection if any

Bought a ceramic drill bit - wow that was the pricey bit (lol)

but I cant get the drill bit to stay in the same place on the plate it just 'walks' across it as the drill rotates - any tips Lesley?

What type of drill bit did you use - min is a flat round blunt end - its not pointy like a wood or metal bit

DH has just been sent to B&Q, we had the right shape drill bit but it was too small. Hope he can get the right sized one, I've got some old random plates from the cupboard to practice on. If it works ok then I'll be searching the charity shop for fancy plates :D

okay, we did it with 3 old plates from the cupboard...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150235851081757.366263.568396756&l=987c7ce57f

just a few points though.

1- The fixings i got from ebay didn't seem to have enough of the metal washers and one of the washers was too big.

2- The screw on the underside of the bottom plate stands slightly proud of the plate and makes the stand a bit wobbly. I suppose i need to find a plate with a deepr rim on the bottom or a plate with feet.

3- Ian said it was quite difficult drillin the holes and the holes aren't really that neat, I'm wondering if it's because the plates are too thick, maybe it would work better with thinner bone china or something?

we did have the right shape drill bit but it was too small so had to buy one from B&Q which was £8 and the fixings from ebay were £3.85. You can buy a lovely glass 3 tier cake stand in Ikea for £13 (I got one for £10 in their sale a while back) so maybe not entirely cost effective unless you're going to make a few of them or you already have the right drill bit.

Anyway, I'm going to see what plates i can unearth in the charity shop and report back :D

My drill bit was from an independant hardware shop and was just over £5 - it drilled perfect holes.

I didn't have a problem with the bottom screw being proud of the plate, perhaps I was just fortunate and the plates had a deep stand to them.

I actually prefer the ones I've glued - and it's a much cheaper option.

Wow, Mummyhen and Poet, very nice 8):mrgreen:

Poet, would it help to stick some of those little round self adhesive felt pads you can get for ornaments, to the bottom of your stand to make feet and give it a bit of lift? Thanks for sharing your findings, very useful, I wouldn't have thought to check how deep the base of the plate is.

I love the fixings, but the cheapest ones I have seen on eBay are the victoriana ones at £2.99, and I know I would love to make a couple of these for friends, but I like the simple fixings :?

I do prefer the plain fixings, I did buy 3 different types to experiment and I've now ordered 3 more of the plain T shaped fixings from a well known online auction site - I think Poet & I bought from the same seller as mine were also 3.85 with free P&P :D