Lesley

Cake Stands

I took my granddaughter to the Hospice Shop at the tip today and we sorted out a load of crockery for today's project ........then came home and made cake stands. I'm doing Afternoon Tea on Easter Sunday and am going to cover the table with assembled tat :lol: - loaded with lots of mini cupcakes and meringues, quail eggs, sugar eggs, tiny sandwiches........

I added some plates I already had - a couple of broken ones I'd mended - and some coffee and tea cups. I found some lovely plates at the tip, like Poole Pottery but no name on the back, pale shell pink, cream and pale mushroom ones. I'm waiting for some fittings to turn those into three tier stands but today's were glued.

Lauren succeeded in buying a two foot high stuffed toy hippopotamus :shock: - we're both in trouble with my daughter and son-in-law now :oops::lol:

I took my photos late this evening and they're not very good, lots of shadows - I'll try to take some better ones tomorrow.

My Burleigh 'Calico' and my Grandma's Worcester 'Blue Dragon' plates (mended)

DSCF1733.jpg

DSCF1734.jpg

A pale green Ecoglass daisy bowl and a green tumbler

DSCF1732.jpg

Glass plates, tumbler and candle holder....

DSCF1731.jpg

DSCF1737.jpg

Some of the tat waiting to be used...

DSCF1729.jpg

I found the beautiful turquoise flowery plate and a plain turquoise one that will go with it, I may use the fittings for those.

I saw this idea in my craft magazine the other day & thought what a brill idea! Yours are just lovely. I too adore that flowery square platter plate in the corner of the photo - beautiful, not tat! :shameonu:

I have got proper cake stands as I'm into that sort of thing :oops: But I will look in the charity shops for bits to make one now, after Lesley's inspiration!

Emma.x

Sorry - Matalan chicken plates are not tat :lol: - that one was made into a three tier stand as well but the photo was terrible.

I made one with two heavy cut glass plates and a cut glass wine glass this morning. I don't like cut glass but this stand is so ugly it's beautiful :lol:

I was actually looking for a three tiered, folding, stand like you see in tea shops.....I started in Ebay and ended up on Youtube looking at homemade ones that are entirely different :roll: . I bought all the china for the same as I would have spent on just one folding stand.

The ones above are glued - I used B&Q All Purpose glue. It says not to use it for items used for food and drink but as they won't be holding soup or tea, and there's no exposed glue, I decided it would be fine.

I have also bought fittings from an Ebay shop to make the dividers but that involves drilling a hole in the plates........I'm doing that later today (after I've been to the dentist - I don't know which is more nerve wracking :shock: )

Thank you all - I've enjoyed making them. I will have to store most of them in an outbuilding I think. Lauren and Jake are making one for their Mum and Dad - they'll be finishing it tomorrow, I'll post a photo.

Are all these stands going to be filled with cakes? There's quite a lot! :wink::lol:

I love making cakes and pastries :D - I've delegated all the savouries.....my sister is making mini sandwiches (and a Simnel Cake), my son-in-law is making goats cheese and onion marmalade tartlets and Carl is making a pork pie....that leaves me free to play with mini lavender meringues, chocolate eclairs, mini choc egg nests cupcakes, mini Blondies, mini scones with jam and cream, chocolate biscotti....... :D:D:D

I adore the pastel one! How on earth do you make them then? You got the fixings from ebay but how did you drill the plates without breaking them, any chance of a tutorial? :D

ETA- how do you find them fixings on ebay, what do you search under?

Good tip! :clap: Suppose you could also use cake pillars like for wedding cakes? :think:

Emma.x

or those slim champagne flutes, although they may be a bit delicate?