eagle jack

before i take the plunge - some silly questions

Hi after researching this for ages, and justifying the cost, we have finally decided to take the plunge and purchase an Eglu Cube with 3m run (in shocking pink!).

We are also foing to plump for four new chickens from the omlet site (2 each of Gingernut and pepperpot)

But before we click the buy now button we have a couple of silly questions (and unfortunately the helpline is out of action till Tuesday)

1) Do you buy the cube and chickens at the same time - and will they be delivered together? or is it better to buy/build the cube and then get the chickens at a later date?

2) Foxes - living in suburban south london (albeit with 2 acres of woodland) we have a number of very brazen foxes, who are not afraid to put in an appearance at any hour day or night. We are planning to make use of the manouverability of the cube and therefore it will be on grass. We do not intend laying slabs or making a permanent site/structure. So was wondering whether the cube and run would be secure enough from Mr Fox? particularly as some days we will be away from home.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Helen and the boys (dad, Johnny and Freddie)

Firstly, welcome to the forum. There's no such thing as a silly question 8).

1) The Cube will take a little while to construct, but with the help of a family member or friends, no more than an hour or two. You're new chooks will be fine in their delivery box(es) while you get the run built.

2) The run for both the Cube and Eglu are described as 'fox resistant', not necessarily 'fox proof', so you can't be 100% sure you're chooks will be safe 24/7/52. With that said, there isn't anything that provides 100% protection against a determined fox, so in that respect, a Cube/Eglu set-up is about as good as it gets. As long as the grass is growing on firm soil, a dig-in attempt under the skirt is unlikely to succeed.

Andrew

Welcome to the forum! No such thing as a silly question on here.

If you have the Cube and hens delivered by Omlet - and you should be within their delivery area - then they'll arrive at the same time and the lovely friendly Omlet driver will put the Cube together for you, in half the time it takes us mere mortals. The chickens will cluck happily in the travelling box while he does this. Then he'll show you how to hold them, clip their wings, and you'll be a chicken-keeper.

Foxes are a perennial problem, as stated above the Cube itself is fox-proof but the run is fox-resistant. If it's on level ground then the 'skirt' should stop them digging. If you're going away for a few days, you won't be moving the Cube during that time, so I'd just pop some filled planters on the skirt for extra safety. They should be fine.

Hi

Welcome.

Agree with 2 replies above - especially re. Omlet delivery man - they are brilliant!!

We originally planned to move eglu and run around on grass but found this impractical (especially in winter when graound was REALLY muddy!!). So you might want to think about a 'permanent' site (on slabs). Also, can make it more secure. Obviously, you can wait and see how it goes.

We have urban foxes and only ever let them free range if we are in the garden with them. Seems to work OK.

H

I agree with comments above. Are you within the chicken delivery area i.e. within 2 hours of Banbury area? If so, as already said, the chooks will arrive with Mr Omlet who will build the Cube for you.

If you have a large plot of land (which it sounds like) then moving the cube to save your grass may be possible, the most important thing is to make sure that the ground it sits on is flat. The fox resistant skirts on the run will only work if they are flat on the ground....if there are any slight dips in the ground, peg the run down with tent pegs (or the run pegs which Omlet also sell)

Can't wait to see photos of your pink palace once it arrives!!!!

Happy to hear of another henthusiast joining the ranks :lol:

We have had our 4 hens just straddling 2 seasons so have not experienced all year round yet, but so far its been brilliant and I have some advice on what to consider when choosing what to go for.

Our 4 hens are very happy in a classic eglu with a 4 metre run as (due to Mrs Fox and her new cubs living next door) they don't get to free range much more than the odd hour a day or so.

What I've learnt is that is its not the size (of the house ) that matters :lol: but the amount of safe space your hens will be able to have during daylight hours (they go to bed at dusk til dawn, very sensible)

So in winter our 4 hens have huddled in the classic with surprising room to spare(!) and have enjoyed having a run with metre per hen to scratch about in. We have them on the grass (to say lawn would be lying) and our garden slopes. I'd had images of moving them every few days but found that they are quite happy with their plot which hasn't got muddy as we've used clear shower curtains to keep the rain off, its well secured with extra skirting and I top it up with bedding material, gravel, sand and hardwood bark for good scratching medium, and great for dustbathing in too as I also treat it with DE and bokashi bran.

I manage to rake the ground and scratching mixture every few days when they are out and I have made some hatches in the run so that I can access any part of it and put it feeders/ water/ any other addition where I want them at different parts of the run. I plan to move the whole thing every few months and that will give the used ground a chance to recover.

I would love to have more hens and will rather buy another eglu and attach, than a cube as the cube seems to have so little space for the amount of hens it can take, unless you can full time free range them or have hi electrified fenced run for them. 8)

So just remember, don't think bigger is better cos the chickens are out in the run all day unless they are laying an egg which takes 30-60 minutes. And the more safe space they can have (ie a covered run with skirting) the better for their health and for the sake of your garden too, (so I'm told)

Whatever you do I'm sure you will enjoy being a henkeeper

Hi, not silly questions you just need to be sure before you take the plunge! How exciting for your family i bet you cant wait! Anyway back to the questions, i agree with Goodegg about the run space factor. I have an eglu with 3 meter run for my Bantams and i love it. I also have a cube and can understand why you want to go for one as they are great aswell. I think if you go for the cube and decide to get more girls ,you will have the room and can always buy more run extensions. The other thing to consider is a walk in run, alot of us have them and they enable the girls to have alot more space for the same amount of money you would spend on a 3/4 meter run from omlet. They can also be built to be completely fox proof and I know lots of people on the forum have them (including myself).

Regarding the chickens and cube arriving, go for the omlet home delivery service, it may take a while longer to arrive but the service is great and they are so helpful. Hope you have great fun whatever you decide! :)

I am also the owner of a pink palace - just wanted to say I much prefer the cube run to the eglu run ( I have both, but just used eglu for intros now) because we have been able to add freestanding perches and mezzanine levels to the run, giving extra space and 'hentertainment'. :D

Hi

I like your question and only want to clarify my message to you which is that

a) the eglu cube is fine as a house for 6-10 hens, less suited to fewer as they can get cold with all that extra space during winter

b) the standard cube run is good for 2 hens at best

c) putting levels in walk in runs and cube runs is good, but is not extra space as the guidelines state that the 'metre square per hen' ratio means scratching space ie ground where they can scratch

d) by that token a cube run or walk-in run would need to be extended by a squared metre per hen for the amount of chickens it houses unless they are free ranging and only spend short spells in the run.

e) I don't have the space or money but from what I've read here, many cube owners also invest in electrified fencing so their girls can free range more safely if the run is not big enough.

f) that is why I personally would advise anyone wanting only 4 hens to consider a eglu classic with a customized 4 metre run.

Thanks for reading :D

I'm afraid that I disagree with Goodegg - 4 hens will be fine in the Cube from a temperature point of view, whatever the weather. Both the eglu and the cube are designed to keep the hens cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.

I often leave the cube door open at night, even in the depths of winter, and the hens are fine.

Good luck, you will love having hens!

I've had 3 hens in the cube for over cold winter and they've been fine, I just crunched up newspaper and put it in as well when it was below -8 C.

The cube run and one extension is 1 1/2m x 3m so I reckon that makes 4 1/2sq m so should be fine for 4. Well mine were :D

Good to hear that 3 or 4 hens are happy in a cube, as they are, happy and snug, in the classic eglu which is my point.

Sorry, but I feel I must correct the statements about area/space as the internal and external dimensions can be confused.

If you buy a standard cube and run you will have (1.6m X 1.2m =) 1.9 sq m of internal ground space for your hens and with a meter extension (ie 2.6m X 1.2m ) will take you up to 3.1 sq m. The inside of the cube does not count as it is used for roosting not scratching. Still only good enough for 3 hens, 4 at a stretch.

DEFRAs guidelines state that free range hens must have access to no less than 1sq meter of vegetative ground 12 hours per day.

So if you are buying a cube thinking you will have more hens eventually, you will obviously have to deal with extending the cube run space to accommodate each additional hen, that is unless you can free range them during daylight (which you already mentioned is risky with foxes around and needs managing with something like electrified fencing)

I'm not anti the cube just passing on what I have learned and observed from other peoples experiences, mistakes and regrets.

Good luck :)

Sorry everyone , I do get a bit OCD :anxious: about hen welfare :roll:

:think: Perhaps my main point would have been better put by simply this ;

there is often too much emphasis in manufacturers adverts about the hen capacity of the house, where in practice the emphasis really ought to be the hen capacity per the amount of ground space inside the run, (unless full-time free ranging of course). The external dimensions help the buyer know how much space the whole lot takes up in the garden but it is the internal dimensions you need to calculate in order to keep happy hens. (oops there I go again :roll: )

Quite soon after getting my classic, and wanting 4 hens (as we really love eggs) it became clear even after the first extension (making 3 meters) that it really wasn't enough for these boisterous gals, and I soon upgraded to 4 meters and they are just about tolerant of not being allowed out all the time.

The importance of run space was never obvious and I did what I thought was enough research before hand.

So, and I sincerely do hope I have not offended anyone :oops: , but I merely want to flag this up, to help your decision making Eagle Jack, as knowing this from the outset would have helped me in mine :wink:

Love the description of your chickens colours goodegg. What breed are they?

Thank you :)

The farmer said they are Goldline which I think is another Warren/Gingernut type hybrid, thats probably why they have such variations.

I have yet to take photos and I will upload them as soon as I do, but I have to make space on my hard-drive as I usually take so many its full..

I look forward to introducing my lovelies properly, soon.

I love my hens, I do :D

Firstly thank you all for your advice - and for responding so quickly to my questions. I can tell that this forum will prove to be a goldmine of information for a novice like myself!

after considering your posts we have decided to plump for a cube with 3m of run (as initially planned) but start with just the 2 hens (instead of 4) as i think that will not only enable us to become more experienced and confident henthusiasts but will give the chooks more space that we can extend over time (plus with the 2 boys they will get to name 1 each!)

And although we are lucky to have almost 2 acres the majority of this is woodland, and as idylic as hens freerange in the woods sounds im sure the temptation for Mr Fox would be too great. Although i expect in time we would be able to wire a larger area off as the henpire extends.....

We are just within 2 hours of Oxon so hope to be able to use the installation service, but cant see this mentioned anywhere on t'internet so am going to wait until the office opens on Tuesday before ordering.

once again thank you for your helpful advice - and watch this space for more random questions!

Helen and the boys.

ps will let you know how we do, and of course post any pics of the pink palace!

Welcome to the forum, Helen :) .

Sorry to put a fly in your ointment but it's generally thought a good idea to get at least 3 hens so that if something does happen to one (hopefully not but you never know :( ) then you're not left with a lone hen and the difficulty of introducing new girls (which can sometimes be tricky).

Of course, people have successfully started with 2 with no problems, I just thought I'd mention it :) .

Your setup sounds perfect, by the way 8) . Electrified Omlet netting might be the way to go once everything's in place :) .