chuckmum6

Harkamectin : Any advice?

I came across Harkamectin, an on-spot worms and lice treatment in Practical Poultry, does anyone use it? I wondered how affective it is, what the dosage would be on chickens and what egg withdrawal there would be? It sounds like a great product and I like the idea of a single treatment, but I don't think it is designed for chickens specifically any comments welcome!

It's Ivermectin in a small bottle, similar to eprinex which comes as a cattle pour-on size.

When my eprinex goes too far past it's use by date I might try some. It will probably be quite expensive but seeing as I use treatment for external parasites only once or twice a year it might be handy.

I never bother with egg withdrawal times for hubby and me unless using antibiotics but I don't give them away for a week after treatment.

Looking at the other posts which crossed mine.......Is it advocated for external and internal parasites? I'm surprised because as CM says it doesn't get all worms but it sure does wallop lice :lol:

I would use flubenvet for worms.

I came across Harkamectin, an on-spot worms and lice treatment in Practical Poultry, does anyone use it? I wondered how affective it is, what the dosage would be on chickens and what egg withdrawal there would be? It sounds like a great product and I like the idea of a single treatment, but I don't think it is designed for chickens specifically any comments welcome!

Just wondering if you decided to try it in the end? :)

I've just bought some of this but am not sure how much to use on my chooks. I've read somewhere on line that 2-3 drops is about the right amount.

Any idea how long for egg withdrawal? Does a week sound about right? :think:

No I haven't used it yet, as the girl were laying well, but now three hens have all gone broody :wall:and egg production is low I may well give it a go. I was planning on two drops on my lot. A week should be enough for withdrawal I hope!

Two drops is based on the average weight of a pigeon which is 500g. I checked this with the manufacturer who would not discuss it's use for chickens but did confirm that point. Our vet said that you need to scale the dosage up based on the weight of the hen. For example a 2 Kg hen would need 8 drops. He also recommended a 7 day egg withdrawal period. Harka Mectin is not licensed for use on poultry in the UK

I have used it for parasites rather than for worming although it does deal with some worms ( the ones that pigeons have), Flubenvet is the best wormer for chickens

One other point, there are other Ivermectin based products available, which have different strengths, so always make sure you read the products instructions and scale up or down accordingly.

Harka Mectin is not licensed for use on poultry in the UK

I have used it for parasites rather than for worming although it does deal with some worms ( the ones that pigeons have), Flubenvet is the best wormer for chickens

Thanks for the research! :D

I don't have any scales, but my chooks are only bantams, so I'm hoping that the dose I gave them yesterday will do the job.

I'm only using it as a preventative for lice & mites- They are regularly wormed with flubenvet every 3 months. :D

I gave up on these treatments as the number of drops needed made it uneconomical for me

I use Eprinex now but its easy for me to source easily as I have a holding number and dont get asked tricky questions!

A better bet may be to ask your vet for Frontline spray - its not licenced for chooks either but is very very good

I gave up on these treatments as the number of drops needed made it uneconomical for me

I use Eprinex now but its easy for me to source easily as I have a holding number and dont get asked tricky questions!

A better bet may be to ask your vet for Frontline spray - its not licenced for chooks either but is very very good

My vet actually suggested that I used Frontline spray (not licenced for chickens) and wasn't prepared to prescribe eprinex for me. However, when I asked her how much I should spray on them, she said to just keep spraying until their feathers looked as though they had hair gel on them :shock:.

I was worried about overdosing them, so I decided against it.

How much would you spray them with?

I might bear it in mind for their next dose in 3 months time. :)

My vet actually suggested that I used Frontline spray (not licenced for chickens) and wasn't prepared to prescribe eprinex for me. However, when I asked her how much I should spray on them, she said to just keep spraying until their feathers looked as though they had hair gel on them :shock:.

I was worried about overdosing them, so I decided against it.

How much would you spray them with?

I might bear it in mind for their next dose in 3 months time. :)

Frontline Spray is pretty safe. They generally test overdosing to approx 10 X the recommended dose to check for side effects, you should be fine using it as your vet suggested.

It's Ivermectin in a small bottle, similar to eprinex which comes as a cattle pour-on size.

When my eprinex goes too far past it's use by date I might try some. It will probably be quite expensive but seeing as I use treatment for external parasites only once or twice a year it might be handy.

I never bother with egg withdrawal times for hubby and me unless using antibiotics but I don't give them away for a week after treatment.

Looking at the other posts which crossed mine.......Is it advocated for external and internal parasites? I'm surprised because as CM says it doesn't get all worms but it sure does wallop lice :lol:

I would use flubenvet for worms.

I use Ivomec Eprinex* and Flubenvet as the IE isn't a reliable wormer.

* not licensed for use on poultry in the UK

It's good, both for preventing lice and mites but I've no experience of using it to treat either problem though I've read it's effective. When I had an outbreak of NFM in my LF last year, I did choose the nuclear option though.

The generally accepted dose of frontline spray is one squirt by the vent and another under a wing

It doesnt seem too scientific :lol:

This sounds good - I have frontline Puppy&Kitten spray here for my Chihuahua. Is there still an egg withdrawal time with Frontline? I have just found a few lice round the vent of my 2 Bovans Goldlines :( I routinely treat them with DE both puffed into their feathers & in the dustbath. But it's obviously not doing the trick. :wall: I have got the proper Louse Powder too but I have to be so careful with it as I had a bad reaction to it last year :(