AlisonH

one eye shut

is it stuck together? if it is listen to her breathing, if it is rattly it could be mycoplasma... just keep an eye out for bubbly eyes and swelling around the eyes .. if any sign of this get some soluble tylan from the vet and Treat all of the flock for at least 5 days :) all will be fine

Took her to the vet on Tuesday as she didn't seem her normal self, he gave a thorough examination and said there was no visible scratch and felt it would be a precursor to possible mycoplasma but gave us antibiotic drops for eye as she wasn't displaying any other symptoms. Since then she seems fine although sleeping quite a bit during the day. When she's not sleeping she's eating well and wandering around garden happily.

Bit of a mystery but hope no other problems start.

Anyone got any tips for putting in eye drops -it's a nightmare!

Hi AlisonH

Sorry to hijack this thread but we've just noticed only yesterday that our Miss Pepperpot (that we've only had for a week) has her right eye tightly closed. Like yours she seems OK in herself although a little quieter than usual. Barbara (Omlet) suggested bathing it in cold tea as this is can sooth and is a mild antiseptic. I'll keep an eye on your thread and keep you posted.

Edit - just done the tea solution but noticed that the other eye seems to be closing too - any ideas?

Good Luck.

Yes Barbara suggested that to us too but because Lottie was also looking under the weather we took to vets. Have been putting eye drops in now for 4 days, she's still closing one eye on and off but, fingers crossed, is eating well and enjoying being around the garden. I saw on someone else's post that their vet had suggested it was a reaction to being allowed out of run??? Hope yours gets better soon.

Hi AlisonH

Sorry to hijack this thread but we've just noticed only yesterday that our Miss Pepperpot (that we've only had for a week) has her right eye tightly closed. Like yours she seems OK in herself although a little quieter than usual. Barbara (Omlet) suggested bathing it in cold tea as this is can sooth and is a mild antiseptic. I'll keep an eye on your thread and keep you posted.

Edit - just done the tea solution but noticed that the other eye seems to be closing too - any ideas?

She really needs to see a vet for a couple of reasons. Sore eyes are very painful. If ever you have got something stuck in your eye or have had conjunctivitis you will appreciate just how horribly irritating and painful it is. Also, a sore eye can be a symptom of something else going on - mycoplasma for example. By all means use a little cold tea (no milk!) in the meantime but you should really seek veterinary advice as soon as is practical.

I took my bantam to the vet yesterday with the same 'single shut eye' problem. Unfortuntately my vet's not very experienced in dealing with back yard hens. She gave me Tylan ointment to put in her affected eye but within a day her eye was fully open and looked normal again. I thought she had probably been pecked in the eye by the top hen and it was just a matter of time before it healed on its own.

Hope your hen recovers soon and is back to her normal self. They are a worry though :anxious:

Hi all,

Just a quick update. Nando (Miss PP) is now fine. Both eyes wide open and she's perky and bright so we don't know what that was all about although she does seem to have a slight rattle on her chest but no mucus or any visible signs to cause concern. Keeping an eye on her though. Salop Chuck - you're on the money though, "they are a worry"!

Banus if her chest is rattling it could be a bacterial infection that needs treatment. I'd get her checked out at vet. However, it can sound like chest when it is a breathing noise in the upper airways. If you put your ear on her back it'll help you work out where it's coming from. They often hide when they are unwell.

Apple Cider Vinegar, Respite or Citricidal are said to help prevent secondary bacterial infections. You add to the drinking water.

Hope she stays well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Citricidal seems to crop up in most health related posts so I'll try and source some locally. Tried Holland & Barratt / Boots and other pet shops in Worcester but although they'd heard of it none was in stock. Will have to try further afield. Fortunately we have The Domestic Fowl Trust near Evesham, half an hour away so I'll grab my keys.....

Thanks again.

I will echo what I posted earlier in your topic about seeing a vet as the eye is quite possibly a symptom of something like Myco. I would advise seeing a vet instead of hunting around for over the counter potions and lotions. If it is something like Myco, the longer you leave it the more expensive and difficult it will be to treat.

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Both eyes wide open and apart from the occssiaonal splutter (once an hour if that) everything appears fine. Bright, alert, eating and drinking. Had a listen and cant hear any rattling. It's just that (a) we're paranoid and (b) off on hols tomorrow and just thought a tonic might keep them in tip top condition. 'Respite' is really hard to get hold of locally so I'll order on line.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Recently I’ve had a chicken that had her one eye shut but kept acting normal. She eventually barely opened it and started getting quieter and didn’t move much. We went to the vet and he wasn’t very experienced with back-yard hens so he gave us Tylan ointment but her eye eventually got all dark and swollen. He also took something out of her eye but we also don’t know what it is. It was really expensive so we didn’t go back to the vet. Her eye got real big and swollen and looks like it could pop. She still barely moves and stays away from the other hens/hides herself in places. Unfortunately today, another one of my hens (Plymouth Rock) also started showing the same symptoms as Pumpkin (the other chicken with the eye problem). I’m really frightened and am worrying that it might be the environment and don’t know how to help. Really hoping it doesn’t spread to the other chickens. Any suggestions on what to do, please!

thank you!

I know some here have had hens that had swollen eyes where vets thought it was a bruise, but turned out worse. If your second has the same symptoms, it could be contagious. Best to isolate the affected hens and contact a chicken savvy vet. If you tell us whereabouts you are, someone here can advise you.

Dr Google suggests it might be Coryza

https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/coryza-in-chickens

I have a baby chick. One of his eye is closed. It was fine for weeks and today it is shut. He is fine right now but last night and this morning he was very sleepy. There is no discharge coming from the eye. What's wrong?