Chook n Boo Mum

Poppy's poorly too...not pancreatitis *phew*

This is quite long winded so forgive me....for those who don't know, I have 3 labs, the youngest of which (Daisy) is always caged when we go out, damage limitation! Jess & Poppy, the older two roam the same room as Daisy, though Jess has previous form & is often in trouble for stealing!

Tuesday evening, we popped out for about an hour and a half & I had stupidly left my handbag in the same room as my thieving labradogs...............when we returned the contents had been scattered and shredded......after about an hour I realised I hadn't accounted for a part pack of Nurofen Express tablets & went hunting in the usual "glory hole", returning with the empty chewed packet :shock: We assumed Jess was the culprit, though Pops could also have had a paw in it.........

Cue a slightly panicky call to the emergency vet & a trip to the hospital, where the two naughty girls were both treated with activated charcoal and a stomach protecting injection. £200 poorer, we returned with subdued pups.

Weds....spoke to our vet who advised watch them closely, come down if you're worried... a little later Poppy was being sick, with specks of blood in it, so took her down........both girls were left with the vet & put onto drips, blood tests were taken, Pops had antisickness drugs & antibs as her white blood count was high indicating an infection. They took up residence on our bed for the night for constant observation..by me not the snoring DH!!!

Thurs....Poppy had been salivating, obviously for a far bit of the night, as the foot of my duvet where she slept was wet, she refused breakfast and was also generally not a happy hound, so off we trundled back to see "uncle David" again....he kept her in for the morning & repeated the bloods which showed a rise in the already higher readings of yesterday, took an xray to rule out a blockage, she had another dose of antibs too.............I posted her extra blood test which was going off to a bigger lab on my way home........he thinks she might have pancreatitis :(

She's now on a starvation diet until Monday, only water, electrolyte water & her antib tablet to be administered ..............that is not going to go down well with 2 sisters eating their way through anything they are fed!

David is not certain the whole episode with Pops has anything to do with the Nurofen, she could have been brewing whatever infection she has got for a day or two, so the Nurofen may be a similar red herring to Ozzie's bone!

Does anyone have a dog with this condition or experience of it? Obviously being a labrador she eats anything she sees, edible or otherwise :vom: , keeping her away from unsavoury edibles is going to be fun with 20+ chooks roaming the garden :anxious: and all their various feeders dotted around the runs.........She's usually fed Arden Grange Adult Lamb food, which obviously is quite fatty, so that will have to change whether she has pancreatitis or not, too much of a risk.........she's not obese, though is a bigger lab build-wise than our other 2 skinny minnys......

Thanks in advance

Sha x

Edited by Guest

Poor thing hope she's on the mend soon, sorry haven't had experience of pancreatitis but use low protein food and I use Burns dog food which has a good website with detailed nutritional information so if you do need to check values you can do a comparison they also have a nutritional helpline for advice, it is also supposed to be low clean up which is always a bonus!

oh chook n boo, I do sympathise. poor Poppy - flippin Labs will eat everything they possibly can wont they.

not sure about Arden Grange fat content, but your vet can recommend a low fat diet that should still satisfy her. Oz has been on Royal Canin Satiety for the past few months because I wanted to get some weight off him (I try to keep him lean because he's had previous joint probs), but any of the vet prescrip diets (mainly Hills or Royal Canin) should be able to offer a suitable diet. or if you dont want a prescription diet I will check it out (I work for RC).

fingers crossed for Poppy xx

Just to say I know that a colleague's b/f's brown lab had pancreatitis last year. He is fit an well now. I will quiz her tomorrow on the details, in the meantime, love and hugs to poorly Poppy, and everything crossed (already for Beach Chick and now for you too!) for a happy resolutionxxxx

We haven't had the yellow poo :shock:

Had to fight to get the antibs into her this morning, oh joy, one set down only another 19 to go :roll: ..........I love the way DH relinquishes responsibility for all things medical....I wouldn't mind, but I'm allergic to penicillin so have to get the job done very quickly to avoid extended contact with the tablets..at least he pays the bills :angel::anxious:

She's drinking & weeing today, and the vet has rung for an update...no doubt he'll ring over the weekend too, bless him!

xx

I also find CV good for their digestive systems, Very handy when you alreay have it for the chickens .:wink:

My labs are working dogs so i have to find the right balance of energy and fats for Dlyan without causing a flare-up.

I have found Natural Instinct ( a raw food) to be brilliant for him and the other labs. He looks amazing and hasn't

had a down day ( they can get a little depressed with pancreatitis) for ages.

My old dog Sally ate the turkey fat that OH had left on the garden table, in a roasting tray with foil to cool off. She became very unwell and collapsed. The emergency vet said that it was pancreatitis and that it happened a lot at Christmas. Unfortunately for us after a stay of 4 days at our vets they decided that the pancreatitis along with something else going wrong inside of Sally meant that she had to be put to sleep. I do stress that they've told me since that there was something else wrong with Sally and she was 15 and a half. This is a warning though to be extremely careful what you leave around to cool off. She was a bit of a scavenger.

My friend has a dog with regular bouts of pancreatitis and she is very careful over what food Ellie has. I think she uses a lot of Nature's Best food. Also she never, ever has treats.

I hope that Poppy gets over this really quickly.

My Patterdale has had a go with it. Fortunately it's easy for them to diagnose these days - it was much more arduous 9yrs ago when my Westie had a problem.

Jack had a couple of weeks of meds which was enough to bring his back under control again. I feed Burns too, the chicken and rice version, and I watch his diet like a hawk.

Just a word on the starvation route - I believe that even the suggestion of food is enough to trigger the over production of pancreatic enzymes, so even the scent (or sound) of food is enough.

Good luck.

Edited by Guest

Would it also cause her to salivate excessively? She's been droolong on & off over the past couple of days............poor little s"Ooops, word censored!", I fed the 2 healthy ones outside while she was still on my bed earlier, which I'll do again & hopefully she won't get upset by that.......maybe we'll have cheese salad for tea........

Vet's just rung.........Poppy's blood tests are back and she hasn't got pancreatitis :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: .....she's got an infection which the antibs will hopefully sort, but nothing nasty :dance:

I am a happy mummy :)

Thank you for all you kind thoughts and support.......a pan of rice is cooking as we speak & the munchkin will have tea soon, or not dependent how she's feeling of course :wink:

Sha x

I don't know to be honest because I was lucky in that we didn't have to go that route with Jack. The vet said that if the meds he was on didn't sort it out, he would need to be kennelled 24hrs a day - I was dreading that because my boys both live in the house with us as part of the family and he'd have thought we didn't love him any more!

x-posted - I am sooooo relieved for you!!!! Enjoy that rice Poppy! :dance:

I'm sure she'll improve now she's allowed to eat a little bland food....there's nothing so sad as a hungry lab who's not allowed to eat :(

She's perked up as the evening has gone on, the 3 tiny meals of plain rice cooled with her electrolyte water water .........I was determined to get SOME of that wretched stuff into her..........seem to have been greeted with pure joy and devoured with her usual enthusiasm for food, however revolting it must taste :wink:

Tomorrow she'll have more rice with chicken/turkey & maybe a little scrambled egg for tea.

She still won't take her huge pink tablets without me sticking them down her throat & blowing in her nose to make her swallow, so I have another 18 joyous times of doing that job before we're through......hopefully they will sort the infection, whatever it is, and she'll be back on form soon :pray: .

David the vet said "I'll ring again if I'm worried about her.......which I will be so I'll speak to you tomorrow"

He's a poppet!

x