Mercedes55

The Great British Bake Off **Spoiler Alert**

Grr - missed it! I loved this last time. When is it on?

Tuesday 8pm on BBC2 if I remember correctly.

I think last year was the first year it had been on as I had never seen it prior to that.

They must get exhausted spending all those days baking, it's tiring just watching them :lol:

Last year they had a girl on there who kept chickens in her garden, can't remember if she won or not, but she was in the finals I think :D

Great programme :D Loved it last year and got the book 8) I bake at least twice a week for three voratious boys (3 1/2, 7 and 46 1/2) and love the recipies for Jumbles (biscuits) and rock cakes especially.

Felt so sorry for the chap whose cake ended up on the floor :cry: thought he was remarkably restrained; had that been me there would have been a flurry of bleeps! :oops:

Also have to admit to a bit of a pash for The Silver Fox :shock::oops: although they seem to have 'glammed him up' a bit from last year!

I shall go and watch it now. I forgot it was on! Loved it last year. Some of the people did make me laugh. I remember one guy saying last year he had the perfect sponge recipe, didn't need to weigh ingredients, and his turned out heavy and not nice. (speaking of which, very briefly, I did a sponge using the weigh the eggs in the shells method, and it was a fab cake. Will do that all the time from now on, so thanks to whoever posted it in the all the nice things section :D )

I love it. Was also obsessed last year. Finally a cooking competition that is just about cooking pure and simple (well, not quite so simple) Very hard to tell who will win at this stage I think as the guy who won last year was not particularly good in the early stages.

Loving the cup cake baking rugby coach :D

I cant believe I missed it!

I havent even seen it advertised.

I follow the pink whisk, which is ruth who was on it last year (did she win, I cant remember) and Im sure she hasnt mentioned it. Its a good job Ive got catch up tv. Will have to watch it before tomorrow.

bizzylizzy

I cant believe I missed it!

I havent even seen it advertised.

I follow the pink whisk, which is ruth who was on it last year (did she win, I cant remember) and Im sure she hasnt mentioned it. Its a good job Ive got catch up tv. Will have to watch it before tomorrow.

bizzylizzy

I can't remember who won either and now after I have read your post a few times the penny has dropped re the pink whisk, silly me. I think she is the girl who had the chickens in her garden. There was also that other girl who was very particular about her decorations and was really amazing too.

We nearly missed watching it too as it hasn't been advertised much this year.

I watched it on iplayer today, they started off in a very complicated way, were will it go from here :shock:

Poor guy with his cake.

I have made battenburg and it is hard, I made my OH a chocolate orange one with the layers glued with Nutella which made the cake come off with it and was a nightmare to spread, it turned out ok in the end, with a lot of laughs with the children on the way.

Have to say also felt very sorry for the poor guy whose cake slid onto the floor. It's the kind of stupid thing I would do.

I have never made a battenburg and after seeing them do their best to make one I don't think I would ever try to. It's amazing how they were all following the same recipe yet all the cakes came out so different to each other.

Looking forward to watching tonight's episode, I think it's pastry tonight :D

I think the format could be better - I don't like the fact that each week is a different type of baking meaning that the first one is all cakes, I'd rather see three different disciplines in the first week so that you get a truer representation of whether the contestants can bake and then follow on with each section in more depth.

I follow the pink whisk, which is ruth who was on it last year (did she win, I cant remember

It was Ed who won last year http://www.greatbritishbakeoff.com/2010/09/21/and-the-winner-is/

He had a few disasters along the way but got better and better as the competition went on

Yes I remember that now. I had thought Miranda would win and was quite surprised when she didn't.

I love cakes and would be happy to watch them bake cakes every week :lol:

Chap called Edd (yes, with two D's!) :o won last year and has, apparently, just brought out his own cookery/baking book. We were rooting for Miranda of the vanilla biscuits but she was third with Ruth second.

Must off...have to get the first batch of Jam Thumbprints (courtesty of the Bakeoff Book!) out of the oven - have to say they look vaguely spoldge-like :oops: