Mercedes55

The Great British Bake Off **Spoiler Alert**

Still enjoying this - I can't believe all the first series happened and I was totally unaware so didn't watch it.

I can't help thinking that I would have worked my way through as many of the judges recipes as possible if I'd applied to go onto this show though :lol:

Mary-Ann continues to innovate but you get the feeling she doesn't practice enough before the show. I'm glad she survived though.

As long as Holly doesn't win - I just really haven't taken to her. Jo is so sweet, and Mary Ann is full of these delicious ideas - Holly just seems to practice recipes that are put in front of her until she can do them blindfolded, to me, that's not at all what home baking is about. Perhaps a well known cake brand could take her on and replace one of their bits of production machinery with her.

I loved Mary-Anne's mousse cake, that orange decoration was amazing! In the earlier programmes she didn't impress me much but in the last few she's done really well. I think Holly is a perfectionist, she practises really hard but if it doesn't work the first time she's lost, whereas Mary-Anne just improvises.

I liked Janet, but those pastries were enormous! I thought she had a great attitude, though.

I am rooting for Jo now - didn't really take to her in the beginning but I think she is sweet and her self belief has grown and grown. Her pastries looked amazing.

Holly is very mechanical - would probably do very well in a cake decorating business but she is not innovative.

Mary-Anne is very good I think but I don't like her much for some reason.

Loved the iced buns - might have a go at making some. Don't think I will be trying the croissant recipe - life is far too short!

The iced buns look delicious. I think they all have weaknesses, Mary-Anne doesn't practice enough and Holly over does things (the gingerbread house in the profiterole thing last week). Jo needs a boost of self confidence.

The pastries also looked yummy and may account for me buying 2 pain au raisins yesterday and eating both!! :roll::lol:

So glad that the winner was ????? :wink: I loved her display, so polished & beautiful. I bought the book yesterday at Waterstones £10 instead of £20. Very good baking recipes in, I'm drooling over the coffee battenburg.

The final has made me want to bake a Sacher torte. Something I've not done for years, since i lived in Austria. I guess it will be on my weekend to do list.

Emma.x

As long as Holly doesn't win - I just really haven't taken to her. Jo is so sweet, and Mary Ann is full of these delicious ideas - Holly just seems to practice recipes that are put in front of her until she can do them blindfolded, to me, that's not at all what home baking is about. Perhaps a well known cake brand could take her on and replace one of their bits of production machinery with her.

I agree ! we didnt take to Holly either, She reminded me of a girl I used to go to school with " I'm finished miss" hand up at every answer etc etc, did you see her face in the background when they were gushing about Jo's display and petit fours! :shock: she looked as if she couldnt believe what they were saying :lol: so glad Jo won Mary Ann was great for ideas and different ways of doing things. mmm sacher torte...... never had one of those mmmmmm :think:

mmm sacher torte...... never had one of those mmmmmm :think:

We went to the Hotel Sacher (?) in Salzburg earlier this year and had a bit of fancy cake and coffee. Cost a fortune and I'm not sure it was worth it, too sweet for me. However, they do look superb and it was lovely being fussed over for half an hour watching matrons and ladies who take tea tuck into theirs!

I thought Jo deserved her win, she is obviously very talented. It was lovely to see she is now doing business things with her baking skills as well; her confidence must have grown.

So glad that the winner was ????? :wink: I loved her display, so polished & beautiful. I bought the book yesterday at Waterstones £10 instead of £20. Very good baking recipes in, I'm drooling over the coffee battenburg.

The final has made me want to bake a Sacher torte. Something I've not done for years, since i lived in Austria. I guess it will be on my weekend to do list.

Emma.x

I bought the book too £10 in asda :) it looks like a proper bible!

Can't wait to try the cream buns too. Mmm mm mmmm. Got a stash of eggs so need to do a load of baking!

Oooo Hotel Sacher - used to go in there regularly for ' Melange' coffee. The cakes are what puts your bill up in there - but oh so lovely! I once sent a Sacher torte by post to my mum & dad. It was in a posh box & everything. I think you can make one equally as good though if you try! They say there is a secret ingredient in the original ones - but I think I sussed it out when I lived there....Apricot schnapps! Shhhh :shh:

Emma.x

I loved the Sacha moment as well. The blind tasting became increasingly pointless as the judges would be able to tell from body language whose was whose.

That said I loved the show and will be tuning in next series :lol:

I've bought both books but not baked anything from them yet. My YS wants to try the battenburg :shock: