mostin

A real chicken surprise today!!!!

I don't often post on here anymore as most things that happen to my chooks now have happened before but today was definitely a first!!!

Gina my naughty free range chook disappeared about 4 weeks ago. We were very sad but not that surprised as she would never sleep in a run, she slept 20 feet up in a huge willow tree and we knew it was a risk but she loved her freedom.

She appeared back a couple of weeks ago for a single day and then went again. We came to the conclusion, that being the free spirited chicken she is that she was a chicken of many homes as lots of people keep chooks near us every now and then and we might see her every once in a while. However we haven't seen her since that day,

Until ....... This evening!!!!

I have been in bed ill all day but dragged myself out into the garden to check on food and and water levels and was greeted by Gina who had brought her 7 chicks back home!!!!

No idea where she has brooded or hatched them! Especially with my cats around who hunt anything, and even bring back rabbits! They look to be a couple of days old and very healthy. Mum and babies are now all safely away in a broody house.

It's my fault for saying that I had finished hatching for this year :lol: