Cinnamon

How do I dispose of a computer?

I have an old computer tower in my loft,which is no longer working.

The computer I bought to replace it has itself been replaced now & that one needs to go into the loft as a spare,meaning we should really get rid of this old broken one....but how???

I am a bit unsure of what to do as,although it is bust,should someone manage to get it working,there is some quite sensitive material on it ...company accounts & the like.

Any ideas?

I take out the hard drive and smash it to bits with a big hammer. The rest I take to the local tip.

Sage

Good advice; it's the only way to really get rid of any information on it; just deleting files is not enough as they can easily be recovered by anyone with the right software. I am about to do the same to an old tower and a very old (ex-work) laptop. Do bear in mind that any software will need to be removed to as it is licensed to you not the machine.

I think the hard drives are pretty tough. We have one awaiting it's fate. I've been advised by a computer doctor that the thing to do is to heat it: that destroys the magnets in it and then it's useless. I'd have been worried about any fumes, but I guess if you can do it outside... Apparently its pretty impossible to open them up.

If you do smash it, let me know how hard it is to do. Ours is just sitting here, accusingly. :roll: